Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/165/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default How much is too much?

I just told my friend that I had lost 6 pounds since last Wednesday (I'm on induction). She told me that was way too much to be losing in such a short amount of time. Is that true? I thought weight loss could be rapid in induction. She happens to follow a low-carb diet, but she's been on it for years. Is it possible that she's forgotten that it's okay to lose that fast? Or is it really not okay????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:53
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

A lot of that weight loss is water, which is normal and healthy. You're probably just now starting to lose actual fat. If you were to continue to lose 6 pounds a week for several months, then it might be a problem as far as leaving you with saggy skin or something. But you won't lose 6 pounds every week.

Bottom line: it's OK that you've lost 6 pounds so fast. Congratulations! Besides, you feel a lot healthier already, don't you?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 12:59
Registered Member

Stats: 180/165/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Absolutely, I feel much better. Although this weekend I did not feel well at all. I've heard, though, that is normal for the first part of induction. Do you think people say that kind of stuff out of not knowing about induction, or do you think it's a way to bring us low carbers down???
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:02
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Probably a little of both. An awful lot of people still think Atkins is a bacon-and-eggs-only diet, and can't imagine anything good coming from it. They are just misinformed. Other people, those who are dead-set on the low-fat-is-the-way-to-go mindset, are determined to find something negative about Atkins and will try a lot of ways to bring us down. It's my humble opinion that the low-fatters are jealous that we low-carbers can lose weight eating steak, while they slowly gain eating boring rice and naked veggies!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:18

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree, for your first week on ANY new WOE if you are doing it correctly you will lose a lot of water weight the first week. I lost 7 lbs my first week doing Weight Watchers a few years ago. Of course I was famished the whole time, but it makes me mad that that was considered OK to do, but on LC it is considered unsafe! Whatever????
I'm going on vacation this weekend to Vegas and I don't plan on telling ANYONE about my WOE. I'm just going to go about my business because I know that people only listen to the media a have not read any of the books. If anybody sais anything I'm just going to tell them that this is what I am hungry for. I'm not going to tell them that I am watching my carbs.

Wee
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Seems like you are totally on track. Pretty much everyone loses like a bandit during the first two weeks and I certainly felt crappy the first week. It went away though and I never felt better after that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 13:21
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

It is totally normal to lose that fast during induction.... You are doing great ..... a lot of people will try to discredit your success.. don't give into there opinions.. you made the best choice of your life following this WOL....

And Yes.. i felt quite crappy during induction... it does go away... you are getting over your cravings.. and re-adjusting your blood sugar levels...

Congrats! on the 6lbs....
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 14:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's normal during the first coupel of weeks to lose fast, then nothing for a bit, and after that a slow and more steady loss.

Atkins recomends not to lose more then a pound a day after induciton though, and if you are losing at that rate to move through OWL faster.

Enjoy the 6 pounds, the loss will slow down
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 14:55

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Auburn--
Congratulations on your weight loss! Like the others have said, you are doing it just right.

You'll get down to a pound or two a week, which is all you want to lose in order to keep it off.

It could be your friend has been LC'ing for so long (years??)...perhaps she has fogotten about the first two weeks. You also may be a very good inspiration to help her out.

Hang in there!
Hugs, Annie-Pie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:03

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I just gained 6 pounds in 24 hours doing some high carbs! That is also just water!

Don't worry, just keep it up and you will continue to lose weight well beyond that water!

brobin
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:02

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

My DH lost 18 pounds on his first week of induction! As everyone has said, it will slow down. Congrats on a terrific start though! Impressive.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 00:55

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Great loss,
Now don’t worry when it slows down a bit .It is normal
Pene