Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%
Unhappy bloating and uncomfortable

Not the greatest of topics, so apologies before I begin!

In the mornings, I have a flat, comfortable belly. By lunchtime to midafternoon, its bloated, gassy and really uncomfortable.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing it, and more importantly, how to stop it.
DH has suggested it's stress. He could be right, I'm the vice-principal of an inner city high school, so my job isn't exactly calm. But I love it and need the money, so can't give up. So if it's stress, what else do I do about it? And if it isn't, what might it be?

Here's my usual diet.

breakfast shake (100g greek yoghurt, an egg, 3 strawberries)

coffee with soya milk
biscotti made with almond flour, oil, eggs, splenda

cheese, olives, tomatoes, rocket and spinach salad

tea,with soy milk and more biscotti

meat and veg, say chicken with broccoli and zuccini

Any help very welcome- thanks! Jay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 14:27

Plan: Atkins w/ Veggies
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:BMI: 34.3/29.2/24
Progress: 58%

Hmm ... I don't exactly have a reason as to why you're having this problem - your diet doesn't seem to "gassy" to me. However, you could take something like Bean-O (an anti-gassy OTC medication). That might help??
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 23:45

I'm going to try that I think. We don't have exactly that one over here, but I have bought some other one. Can't see what in my diet's doing it either, so will just try treating the symptoms.
Thanks for replying Ashley, Take care, Jay
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 09:25

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I found out after starting enduction on Atkins I ate some Strawberries and boy was I bloated and had cramps and all. Don't know if that could be it for you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:33

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

I think that there might be a food allergy problem, maybe the strawberries or one of the veggies. With our former diets, or digestive sytem was so out of whack, that you might have dismissed the discomfort as something that normally happens. When we cut out all the processed crap, or most of it as it looks like you have done, or bodies don't have the weird presevatives and additives to get in the way.
Basically, you were so used to a general dicomfort that a little extra bloating didn't seem odd.
This is how it was explained to me, as I had a similar problem. You don't need to run out and get tested, just try cutting one or two things out for a couple of weeks, and then re-introduce them one at a time to your tummy, and see if you can pinpoint what it is.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 14:01

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I wonder if it is a food. I don't think its the strawberries with me, as sometime we can't get them, but it still happens. I'll have to try playing around with my veggies and see if that's it.
Could gluten do it? I've just started making biscotti and have used separated wheat gluten to make them stick together. No carbs, but maybe the gluten isn't good?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:52

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Tomatos would be my problem

How long have you been using the soy milk?

Dairy is notorious for gas, esp the older we get. Gluten is problematic, definitely.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%

hi jay kay
i have just recently returned to low carbing and stopped because of a problem which was much like yours, so rather than give you advice this is my story
in june i was having a problem with constipation and started taking fiber.
instead of getting better i got more constipation [harder dryer less frequent]
i started eating more fruit didn't help started getting bloated resorted to a laxitive stool softener combo helped a little but made the gas pain worse.
itook things out of my diet and put things in and got worse. i began taking anti gas meds to relieve the discomfort
then about the first of september i got a watery stool i started taking anti-diarrhea medication anti-gas was eating one thing cheese couldn't eat anything else drank a lot of water so i wouldn't get dehydrated by the end of the second week i was having watery stool every 30 minutes for three hours every night
i went to the doctor he ordered a stool test which was negative
then he said he believed it was my thyroid.
last february when i had my physical the physicians assistant took me off thyroid
he also ordered a colonoscopy which i have to wait till mid november before they can get to me
the day after the last dr visit i had my last day of diarrhea during this bout i passed a blockage of hard stool. some times it just gets watery to bypass a blockage
the next thing i found out was that anti-gas meds coat the inside of the intestine so the water isn't absorbed making a more watery stool.
after all that misery i am finally back to normal and am back to low carbing but i am doing "go diet" which your regimen is just the same with the yogurt and fruit.
i also put oat bran in mine.
i also found that not all fiber supplements are good for everyone [ i have cramping with psyllium]
i am not sure where it all started but there is a good bet that it was a blockage.
which was probably caused by not taking thyroid. but i haven't finished getting tests once i began down this road i have to find out if there is anything else.
hope your problem doesn't get to this point
good luck to you
helen
talkercise
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 11:35

Yo, you've had a hard time talkercise. I'll stay off the anti-gas medicines then - thanks for the advice.
I've actually decided I think its stress, not any food. I was never really sensitive to foods before.
I've had a couple of fairly relaxing days at work (training days) and the bloating/gas hasn't happened.
Then I just saw an article in my magazine (She) which talks about the effects of adrenaline on the gut - slows things down, leading to bloating/gas. That's exactly what's been happening to me, including the 'slowing down'!

Hmmm - so how do I solve it. Need to try some of the techniques it suggests, every hour, do 5 mins of mini-relaxation.
Will see if this works (if I can find time for it!)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 13:31

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi jaykay

When I drink soy milk I get bloated and have terrible gas. I also thought that perhaps you need more fiber in your diet...

Thanks about all I can think of, except that quite a few people are sensitive/allergic to glutin.

I guess you'll have to be patient and eliminate one thing at a time to see what it is...

Maggie