Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default You, and your colon!/IMPOSSIBLE.

Sounds like the title to one of those science flicks we all had to watch as kids at school! LOL!

FIBER: We are all supposed to be taking in approx 30 grams of fiber each day.(Thats what the doc's say, if you wish to keep a healthy colon, ward off cancer, and actually "GO" like a human and NOT push your damn eyeballs out of their sockets)

I am on on-going induction, and have to stay under 20 carbs.

Therefore I need 50 carbs a day, 30 of which are fiber, to net 20

While doing this I must balance fat to be 65-70%
keep protein around 130 grms (excess turns to sugar)
and calories past few weeks have ended up at 1800 per day (way LOW for me) but I am "full" anyway...

the FIBER-thing is a real PAIN IN THE ARSE literally...and next to impossible to accomplish on a daily basis.

Fiber supplements (Flax in my case now) have lots of fiber...but fill up your calories and also contain countable carbs...thus taking away from the 20 I get.

Spinach is great...but at 1.5 cups (which I can only have 1 cup per day as per induction regulations)...is 10 g carbs, 5 fiber=5net carbs

Do the MATH...NO WAY I can get 30 grams of fiber per day and keep follow the rules...and keep carbs under 20.

UGH...BLAH...and TOTAL dismay. I am TIRED of this balancing act and trying to do the IMPOSSIBLE.

Just venting. Thanks for listening.
Best to all:
Lost-Jake

Last edited by mammoth : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 07:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 07:59

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 200/193/170 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Jake

You can vent anytime you want---as long as you allow me to vent about being on iduction for 3 weeks and not losing any weight.

BTW, you owe me $30 for that ice cream machine I bought and haven't gotten to use yet.

And no, I didn't drink the grape kool-aid!!!!!!

This whole plan is a balancing act---and I guess I'm wayyyyy off balance.

But you're doing good and lookin' well buddy----hang in there with me!!!!!

"T"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/148/148 Male 68
BF:23%/15.3%/15%
Progress: 100%

I feel your pain Jake, literally...

Even on OWL, where I'm up to 30g net carbs per day, I'm still only getting about 15g fiber per day, for exactly the reasons you mention -- it seems impossible to make it work and keep my calories reasonable.

I've been taking psyllium husk caplets every day, but they just don't work. My daily constitution has become a bi-weekly event, and I don't think that's very healthy. It is something that worries me.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/175/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: -100%

Hi guys

I currently suffering through the effects of this morning's salt water purge. 1 tsp salt in 1 cup warm wanter with a squeeze of lime.

It aint fiber but it does the trick. BTW : Doing this before work is NOT a good idea.

..Max..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:08
Registered Member

BF:

Hi ALL:
The only possible solution I can find is:
LaTortilla brand tortilla wraps...the large plain ones...like would be used for burrito's etc...

PER TWO:
Calories 200
Fat 6gr
Carbs 42gr
Fiber 30gr
Protein 16gr

This gives you NET carbs of 12, so still have 8 left...for veggies, eggs, sweeteners, etc...will be VERY tight to fit a days menu in with only 8 carbs left to do so with....maybe not possible...but might help you folk's like Cor, who have higer carb daily limits.

They say that these are OK for induction foods...but I have found that when I eat them on induction, they tend to give me a mini-stall and that week I have no weight loss or minimal at best. Kind if like shooting yourself in the foot, as we are ALL doing this not just to be healthier, but lose weight too.

I do not want to simply be a healthier 291 pound man...for example...
I want healthier, and thinner!

Best to all;
Jake
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Jake,
I too haven't figured out the balancing act as you put it. I keep thinking beans! beans! great source of fibre BUT cant have on induction AND way too many carbs.
I keep looking for example menus that gives totals of everything in a day that I can follow but I can't find any! I don't want things that are low carb pre-package foods or artificial sweetners etc. I would rather keep it simple with my 20 carbs and my needed fibre.

CAN anyone please post or direct us to any links that would give examples of this? I am getting overwhelmed and confused at trying to figure it out. It has lead me to not eating right and not knowing what vitamins and minerals to take to make up for things.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:12
Registered Member

Stats: 250/212/175 Male 5'11
BF:29%
Progress: 51%

can you take a fiber suppliment?

And as for not loosing weight in 3 weeks,are you loosing inches? feeling better?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:15
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

What about the Keto oatmeal? Per serving, it's 150 calories, 3 net carbs, and a whopping 9 grams of fiber (and 17 g of protein). More efficient than spinach, if I'm doing the math correctly. It tastes good, too.

Last edited by RoseTattoo : Tue, Jul-15-03 at 09:16.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:

Fiber supplement like pysillium, BIND me, as they do many others. Even drinking increased water...still BINDS me. Also, you still have to count the carbs/fiber in your fitday...and they are not the solution to the "total" problem of finding balance in the "numbers".

I take the flax seeds, with some sucess thus far...still working on THAT balance too! (see origional post)

Best to all:
Jake
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:34

Stats: 164/135/140 Female 5 4
BF:28%
Progress: 121%
Question

Hi Jake, I must 1st say I've wanted to applaud you for awhile for your tremendous positivity & enthusiasm here... I'm very impressed with how you are attacking this plan head-on, learning & sharing & conducting surveys even! Very impressive, & I just know you will have great success with this plan!
I hear ya on the fiber frustration. Can I ask, how goes it with the flax seed oil? Bc I am not content with my situation either, & will be trying the caps. I take metamucil, but it's not a sure thing.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/149/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default agreed

hey jake i completely agree with you , and until i read your flax post i was under 10g of fiber aday...major issues resulting. at least the flax oatmeal creation we are loving is helping, and if i come across any fiber tips i'll be sure to let you know (please do the same). it is frustrating but we are healthier than when we started this (broccoli is helpful too)
jean
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:47

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I really commend you all that really try and peg this down to a science. However, I have found the most success by just following the plan. I eat meats, veggies, cheeses and some fruits. I throw in some exercise, a daily vitamin and lots of water and thats it.

However for those of you who feel the need to micromanage, how about raising the carbs? Going to 30 carbs a day isn't really going to slow your weight loss down and the health benifits of more veggies is well worth it.

Keep up the good work Jake, you are plowing through the fat and will be at your goal before you know it.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:02
Registered Member

Stats: 146/145/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 6%

Hi Jake... ok since I am a total newbie here I hope I am not saying something thats been said.
First off I am on my third week of induction and have lost only two pounds! Now thats said, I hear you on the "fiber" issue. If so many products are um...counterproductive have you tried combinations of natural herbs? Or massage or acupuncture? If I understand your issue correctly your needing to make sure everything is..ahem... flowing correctly while only taking in 20 carbs yes? My best friend has a combination of herbs that she has capulized to be used as a colon cleanse. One of the main ingrediants is cayenne pepper so to see the least although everything is doing what its supposed to be doing its a little um "burn-e" feeling. Anyway my point being is that you are getting everything to move with a minimum amount of balancing fiber vs carbs. So if you have a local herbalist and you believe in it then give it a shot! You never know it may be the just the answer your looking for!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:13
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

So sorry to hear you are avoiding artificial sweeteners in this case! I stay smooth and regular by eating two Russell Stover PB cups or mints a day-one in the morning and one at night. I am horribly under fiber and have no problems in that area. I don't go everyday-but when I do go it's comfortable. They are a tasty treat too. Too many will really give you a laxative effect-but split up they work like a stool softener on me. Good luck.
P.S. The candies have also worked wonders for a friend's chronically constipated three year old-and she only gets one per day.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:15

Stats: 169/139/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Hiya- here's something I've found that helps with the fiber- Cheeters low carb crackers, 5 g fiber per serving, 1 net carb, for 3 large crackers! They taste good too, especially the rye and sesame flavors. You can get them at Netrition.com. Expensive, but I feel getting more fiber is that important. I also take psyillium capsules and a magnesium supplement. Even cutting down to 15 carbs and 1500 calories (which I had to do to break my stall, went 2 weeks on induction bouncing up and down but never losing) I'm still pretty "regular."

Lee