Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 112/105.8/100 Female 57 ins.
BF:23 %
Progress: 52%
Question Confused about Carb counting on Low Carb Bars

I have a questions that maybe some one can help me with.
I have just bought a bunch of Low Carb bars for me and my husband to use as a quick snack, we both work and I thought this might be a good idea. We have just finished the Induction Phase and both are doing really good, he is down 12.5 lbs,
Any here is my question -- One bar " MoJo Bar" has Total carbs 25g, but Dietary Fiber is 2g, Sugars 8g and Other Carbs 15g. Can I subtract total carbs from Dietary Fiber and then subtract Other Carbs. Making the Net Carbs 8g.
I am not sure I have it right. I have read the book and am just a little confused.
We are both doing so good I don't want to blow it.
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:14
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Walkingmom, welcome!

The 15g "other carbs" are sugar alcohols. According to Dr Atkins sugar alcohols produce no insulin reaction, and therefore can pretty much be ignored.

Alas, for some folk, that is not so, and they stall when they eat food containing them. But for many others, there is no problem. It's very much a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation.

How do you know if you'll be affected? The only way is to try them and see.

One more thing: sugar alcohols tend to also be laxatives and many folk (such as yours truly) avoid them for that reason.

If you go to "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen, you'll find some more sugar alcohol information.

Congrats on starting so well!

All the best to you.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 07:25

Stats: 112/105.8/100 Female 57 ins.
BF:23 %
Progress: 52%

Rosebud - thanks.
Sounds like I understand the math. Most of this bar is nuts, but I think I will hold off for another week before sending it to work for my husband. I really am trying to make sure we both are making healthy choices.
thanks!!!