Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%
Question Rice, fruits, vegetables, and too much meat?

Well, i've been low-carb-dietin' for about 3 days now. Today I woke up very weak in the legs, but as I got some food in me and got some water, it got better through the day. Anyway, the quesions, what fruit can I eat? What vegetables can I eat? Can I eat rice, I would kill to be able to eat rice. I noticed it has dietary fiber (carbs) but no sugars. Are dietary fiber carbs okay and sugars are the carbs I'm trying to stay away from? I'm really new to this and i have no specific "plan". Also, I do a pilates routine (mari windsor's advanced body sculpting, 6 days a week) and I was wondering what kind of weightloss I can expect. Also, if i were to eat 1lbs-2lbs of meat a day, that's GOTTA be bad for me. I mean, is my heart gonna explode or what! I'm an 18 year old male, so I'm expecting to myself to be in one of the fastest weight-loss groups (as compared to let's say a 50 year old female). That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there'll be more questions on the way! Any information would be very helpful, thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:27

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi sdge!

Without knowing what particular plan you're thinking of or how many carbs a day you consider "low", it's difficult to advise you. Most low carb plans would not allow rice of any kind until maintainance, and then most likely only brown rice in small amounts.
Trying to follow low carb without some sort of plan is not a good recipe for success. I'd really like to encourage you to pick a plan that you think would fit well with your lifestyle and then get the book and read it thoroughly. If you're not sure which plan would fit you, have a look at the link on the right side of the screen titled, "Which low carb plan is right for me?". Different plans allow different levels of carbs and varying types of foods. For example, some allow certain types of fruit right from the beginning, some don't.
About the meat...I doubt there are many people here consuming 1-2 lbs. of meat a day. Myself, I maybe get 12 ounces total in a day if that. What I do eat a lot of is vegetables (mostly dark green, low GI veggies such as spinach, romaine lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, cauliflower and such) and healthy fats such as butter, cream, mayonnaise, salad dressings and olive oil as well as the natural fats that come in meat, eggs and cheese.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello sdge. If you are doing your own LC program, you can of course make up your own rules. But don't expect weight loss or improved health if you ignore the books written by doctors who have explored and researched and proven LC plans they support.

Please look to the right of your post and click on "which LC plan is right for me?". Do some research there and when you have chosen a plan
READ THE BOOK.

You will find out more from reading one book in a few days than in weeks of asking basic questions here. This is a SUPPORT board for people who have read one of the plan books and are following it - not a "how to" for people who haven't yet chosen a plan.

Quote:
what fruit can I eat?
Read the book for Atkins, Protein Power Plan or other plans or visit their websites See the "Which LC plan is right for me".

Quote:
What vegetables can I eat?
Read the book for Atkins, Protein Power Plan or other plans or visit their websites See the "Which LC plan is right for me".

Quote:
Can I eat rice, I would kill to be able to eat rice.

NO, on most LC plans. Check the individual plans.

Quote:
I noticed it has dietary fiber (carbs) but no sugars. Are dietary fiber carbs okay and sugars are the carbs I'm trying to stay away from?

If you are reading labels, sugars and fiber are INCLUDED in TOTAL CARBS. BUT fibre can be subtracted from total carbs for "effective carb count."

Quote:
I'm really new to this and i have no specific "plan".

Save yourself a lot of grief and frustration and read the "Which LC plan is right for me?"

Quote:
Also, I do a pilates routine (mari windsor's advanced body sculpting, 6 days a week) and I was wondering what kind of weightloss I can expect.

Atkins suggests NOT to exercise during Induction. Many people lose 10% of the weight to their goal during Induction. Other plans are slower. (If you weigh 200 and are aiming at 150, you might lose 5 pounds IF you stuck to Atkins Induction.) Exercise in the early stages can cause the weakness you are reporting. Read the book.

Quote:
Also, if i were to eat 1lbs-2lbs of meat a day, that's GOTTA be bad for me. I mean, is my heart gonna explode or what!

Who says so? And why would you eat that much? Even if you ate 5 pounds of meat in a day, your heart WOULD NOT explode. BUt you might throw up. Eat until you are satisfied - not STUFFED. Read the book for the plan you choose and you will find the answers and advice you need.

Quote:
I'm an 18 year old male, so I'm expecting to myself to be in one of the fastest weight-loss groups (as compared to let's say a 50 year old female).

Why "expect" a particular weight loss? Why not just pick an LC plan, read about what IT predicts and then follow it?

By now, you may want to throw things at me, but there is no substitute for reading the book for the plan you choose. You are fortunate that this site has a summary of the major LC plans easily available for you. Please do read the "which LC plan is right for me" and then pick one, get the book and follow the plan. You will probably do very well on any of them and I hope you get the results you want.

All the best.

Last edited by tofi : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 20:48.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 21:33

Stats: 000/000/153
BF:2 much for now
Progress: 0%

#5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: Proten Power
Stats: 190/165/155
BF:??%/21%/12%
Progress: 71%

Well, i've chosen the "stone age diet". I couldn't find the book to buy, but i did find the whole thing online at http://www.ourcivilisation.com/fat/index.htm Thank you for your information all.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 18:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's a more "modern" version of the Stone Age diet called Neanderthin and the book is readily available.

I find the menu suggestions on the web site most interesting...

Margarine? Oh, how low-carbing times have changed!

Less Expensive Diet For Eating At Home
Breakfast:
Kippers
Bloaters
Fried eggs
Bacon (cheaper streaky cuts)
Haddock stewed in milk
Tea with top of the milk
Starch-reduced rolls (not more than two) e.g. Energen
Butter or margarine in plenty
Midday meal:
Corned beef
Braised beef stew and vegetable (no thickening)
Mince made into hamburgers
Ham (tinned, sold by weight, sliced)
Pig's head brawn, home-made or bought
Salted pig's head.
Fried sprats
Boiled skate
Sardines or pilchards in oil
Salad or green vegetable
Cheese
Tea with top milk
High tea:
"Flank" " Breast of mutton"
Omelette or fried eggs and bacon
Fried liver
Vegetable
Salad
Potato crisps, one packet
Cheese.
Starch-reduced rolls (not more than two) with butter or margarine and Bovril or Marmite
Fruit -apples, oranges, nuts. No bananas
Tea with top milk
Nightcap:
Cup of hot milk
Cheese
Hard-boiled eggs
Starch-reduced rolls (not more than two) with plenty of butter or margarine

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 20:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm...interesting menu for a "stone age" diet as I don't think they had a lot of those items (milk, margarine, starch-reduced rolls and such) during the stone age.
I've never read Neanderthin, but from what I've read on the board, it's very "keep it simple" with meats, natural fats, nuts, berries and veggies along the principle of whatever you can hunt or gather.
OTOH...some of my grocery shopping expeditions could be along the lines of "hunt and gather", especially if I have the kids in tow.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:05

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Lightbulb Review, then buy.

Sdge, dear boy, if you are really serious about wanting to lose weight, do your self a huge favor, go out and by a real book, only after you have read through the reveiws of some of the plans you see used here or listed on the Active thread. Pick one you think you can live with, remember this is'nt just for a few days or weeks, you go off any of these plans, go back to your old way of eating, DUH........... where will that get you. Right back here looking for another diet plan.
This forum is a huge site filled with a vast amount of wonderful info at our finger tips, but, you still need to read the book to get the whole picture, then you'll know what you can have or can't have.
Sorry if I sound like a MOM, but I live with a couple of guys your age, can't help myself.

Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:17

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I clicked on sdge's link above but didn't find a "stone age diet". I did find a 'quick guide' which included
1. foods NEVER to eat
2. foods to eat only 1 small serving a day
3. foods to eat without restriction

Doesn't look too much like an LC plan to me as #2 includes (and I quote):
"CAUTION:— Only one small helping a day.
Root vegetables, such as parsnips, potatoes, beetroot, swedes; broad beans, bananas, chestnuts, apples; sausages, except those which have no bread or cereal content (Continental sausages like salami.)."
The rest of #1 & #3 look LC.

I think a person could easily get over 100 grams per day on this as the serving size is unspecified. Those foods could also set up uncontrollable cravings. It might be lower carb. But perhaps it will work for sdge. He'll find out for himself. I still wish you good results, sdge.

Last edited by tofi : Sat, Feb-01-03 at 21:20.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 21:23
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I clicked on sdge's link above but didn't find a "stone age diet".

It is called the Stone Age Diet (Eat Fat, Grow Thin) by Dr Richard Mackarness. There's a synopsis of it on the site. It was published in 1958, which is probably why it seems "stone age"!

Karen