Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default OPINIONS PLEASE...veg shakes?

hey guys
ive been feeling the urge to make this diet a little healthier - try and cut out some of these fats (red meat and cheese and cooking oil, etc)

i used to (pre-atkins) make smoothies with fruit in the blender - but find they are too fll of natural sugar now and make me gain weight - so i thought about doing the same thing, but with veg..what du think

veg shakes - avocado, celery, cucumber, etc? in a blender with ice? healthy - help go loo, and keep calories and carbs low...

one shake for breakfast, one for lunch and a healthy dinner?

this isnt really about weight loss - more wanting to be healthy
at times i feel unhealthy on this diet....esp when wating bacon, cheese, etc all the time?

opinions please?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:29

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%
Default you asked for opinions........

my opinion is that you are falling prey to the media. you know that the media has always been pro-low fat. my opinion is that you've been brain washed that atkins type eating is unhealthy.

there is nothing wrong with veggie shakes (that are still low carb)- a great way to get in your 3 servings of veggies a day, but the rest of the way you eat on atkins is NOT unhealthy. au contraire- i think the way the media tells you to eat is unhealthy.

that is my opinion
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:30

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasophia
hey guys
ive been feeling the urge to make this diet a little healthier - try and cut out some of these fats (red meat and cheese and cooking oil, etc)

Don't believe the hype.
If you eat all the vegetables you're supposed to, and not eating the carbs you're not, it's healthier than most diets.

A shake or smoothie is not now, nor has ever been, a healthy thing.

Have a salad instead.
It will help you go to the loo just fine.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:34

Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%

A shake or smoothie is not now, nor has ever been, a healthy thing.

? I don t understand how you can say a vegetable shake is not a healthy thing? it must be healthier on my body to have a veg shake as opposed to a plate ful of egg, bacon and cheese??

i will still follow the atkins, but want to cut some of the unhealthy fat out. this diet has introduced me to some healthy fats - such as avocadoes and nuts which i will always include..

also, i suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, so i have to focus on my bowels workinf properly, or im in big trouble - and have pain for days
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:49
library diva

Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

I can't imagine that veggies all in a blender taste better than cooked or in a salad. Sounds, well....mushy.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 15:52

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasophia
it must be healthier on my body to have a veg shake as opposed to a plate ful of egg, bacon and cheese??

sorry, i still agree with horgarth. eggs, bacon and cheese have natural fats in them -'healthy fats' just like nuts and avacados, along with other healthy things.

trans fats are bad, partially hydronated are bad, etc..

it is still my opinion that you are victim to media teachings, make that media preachings.

flax and other things might help your IBS (i am not real familiar with that) but, to the best of my knowledge, cutting your fats and proteins isn't one of them. there is no reason to cut the bacon to make room for the veggies - you can eat both in a day. matter of fact, you are already supposed to be eating a minimum of 3 portions of veggies a day. i can't see where it matters if those portions are blended asparagus or whole asparagus(altho i'd think eating it whole would have more fiber-type qualities and help your entire IBS problem)