Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 18:58
dancer41

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question Easing back into carbs/cravings

HELP!

I can't seem to control my cravings after the induction phase, and start into the Ongoing phase. Once I have begun adding the small amount of carbs back into my diet, the cravings for starches and sugars become overbearing!!!

Thanks for any enlightenment.

The Atkins Diet works SUPER for me. I feel wonderful, physically, my energy level is very high all the time, and my middle-aged female brain is much clearer.

Any thoughts about why the cravings become soooo strong?

HELT!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hello

hello dancer! 1st of all Im wondering if U are eating hidden carbs that are triggering cravings? For instance Atkins bars? Also there may be a an emotional element to your cravings not just a physical one? What supplements are U taking? I take chromium for the cravings and certainly keeps them at bay for me. Others take l-glutamine. Do U drink lots of water?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 11:59
dancer41

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: hello

Quote:
Originally posted by gwilson38
hello dancer! 1st of all Im wondering if U are eating hidden carbs that are triggering cravings? For instance Atkins bars? Also there may be a an emotional element to your cravings not just a physical one? What supplements are U taking? I take chromium for the cravings and certainly keeps them at bay for me. Others take l-glutamine. Do U drink lots of water?

Hi Gwilson, and thanks for responding. I'm very good at watching the carbs and keeping them under 20 for the induction phase. I drink 48-64 ounces of water most days, some days it is a little less (32 oz.) I'm not taking any supplements at the moment because I recently had surgery and was advised not to do anything to cloud the results of the surgery. The pathology came in two weeks ago and it was all good. I will try the chromium. I have it in house. As for an emotional response, I don't think so; however, I temper that with the fact that I am a 43 year old female looking at an early menopause. So, that possibly could be the culprit. I'll check back in if the chromium doesn't help.

Thanks again!!! I REALLY appreciate the insight!!

Joanne (dancer41)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 12:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

U know what may help your hormonal imbalance? EFAs. essential fatty acids. Either evening primrose oil or flax seed oil. It has helped me a lot. Also extra magnesium is know to help pms and depression. One other comment is that if I were U i would be drinking 64- 100ozs of water a day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 19:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Joanne, the advice to increase your water consumption is a good one - it really can make a difference in so many things.

When you do begin adding in carbs what typically do you start with? And how many a week are you adding in? Perhaps if you added fewer and kept the time inbetween adding more in longer you would fare better.

Can you give us an example of what you eat daily and what you'd add in were you to leave Induction for OWL?

Nat