Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/158/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Ice Cream/Cheesecake during Induction?

Not together - of course.

I've been on Induction for 3 wks. I've lost about 8 lbs., My primary need is to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and I will be thrilled with the weight loss that accompanies it.

I haven't gone off it at all and am staying within what I should be doing. (I hope).

I bought some of the Atkins ice cream and was wondering if I hit a time I'm low on carbs - could I have a tiny bit during Induction? Or, if I made the cheesecake (w/o fruit) - the lo-carb way - could I have a slice? I'm really not craving anything and don't even know if I would eat it if I knew I could - but was curious. I'm not always sure if some things are okay for Induction -- like salsa.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...r=Pooh%5Fn%5FMe

Last edited by Pooh_n_Me : Thu, May-22-03 at 13:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 13:57

Plan: TLC (Tracys Low-Carb)
Stats: 225/213/130
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking Induction

After the first two weeks of induction you can start to add other carbohydrates to your diet. You still want to make sure that the majority of carbs comes from veggies. Note that some people are sensitive to even sugar-free or low-carb sweets. Some people start to crave carbs and lose control, some people go into a stall (no weight loss or inches lost in over 4 weeks), and some people it doesn't effect at all. The only way to know is to test them out. Also know that some peoples tummies are sensitive to some of the sugar alcohols that are used to sweeten low-carb sweets. Start off slowly introducing them into your system, just in case. Hope this helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 14:05

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

IMHO salsa (as long as it doesn't have sugar in it) is ok for Induction. Also, JMO, the LC home-made cheesecake (made w/Splenda - count the carbs in Splenda and also Splenda is limited in Induction) is ok for Induction. What I would steer clear of during Induction, commercially-made sweets (like the Atkins ice cream). Even if the ice cream is coded ok for Induction on the Atkins website, I would still wait until OWL. One of the purposes of Induction is to break your body's craving for things sweet. Happy LCing!!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Also, many of us say we're still in "induction" when we're really just keeping our carbs at induction levels. The classic induction is a two-week detox period, during which you follow some very strict rules that are designed to break your cravings and jump-start the weight loss process. After those two weeks, many people add different foods, such as nuts or berries, while still continuing to eat about 20g/day. Technically, if you're not exactly following the induction rules as written in the book, you're in OWL no matter how few carbs you're eating. However, it's pretty common for people to call that induction, too.

If you're done with your two-week official induction but still wish to stay at 20g/day, you can eat the ice cream as long as it fits within your totals. You may want to eat ice cream instead of your day's dairy intake, or pick lower-carb vegetable choices. However, NEVER skip your veggies just so you can eat some other kind of carbs!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/158/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Thanks a bunch. I was thinking that when we said we were still in induction - we would be for 2wks or longer. I had decided to go as long as possible on induction. Didn't realize that I could add a thing occasionally. I've been under my 20 carbs many times. This is good. I'm not at the point yet that I really need to go to other foods. It's been so easy since I'm not craving anything yet.