Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 12:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/142/120
BF:
Progress:
Smile using diet for health;not to lose weight

Can someone who does not have to lose any weight use this diet? Do they go on induction to rid themseelves of carbs and go to maintainance ? Or, do they just o the maintainance? They are and have been high carb eaters, but want to 1)support my eating and 2)get a lower cholesterol level. All answewrs and help are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 12:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Atkins induction is made to help convert your body from burning carbs to burning fat for fuel. I've heard of several people, who not wanting to loose much if any weight - go straight to maintenence. But I think it would also be a good idea to try induction to get your body in that mode.

So, I don't think there is any right answer - just what is best for you and your lifestyle.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 13:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/159/130
BF:
Progress: 43%

I'm no medical professional, but I would think it would do anybody's body good to detoxify from carbs. I do have quite a bit of weight to lose and that's the only reason I started Atkins, so all the health benefits were a total surprise for me. I no longer have scaly patches on my skin, my blood pressure is lower and stabilized, no heart flutters, my back and knees don't hurt half as much, no acid reflux, I sleep so much better too.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 13:51

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am low carbing to lose weight and improve my health (since Jan 4 this year). DH is low carbing for health reasons--doesn't need to lose weight, but needs to lower his cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.

Neither of us dropped all the way down to induction levels. I'm keeping my carbs around 30 g. a day (and staying in ketosis). DH is trying to keep his between 50-100 g. carbs per day (and he stays in ketosis also). For us, we are getting the benefits of fat-burning without some of the more annoying side effects of induction.

Wouldn't you know, tho', that DH has lost 9 lbs and I've lost 8!

hth,

Pokey One
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 14:19
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rdeb:

I started LCing for the sole reason to regain my health. I think Induction is good to help stabilize your blood sugars, start with a blank slate, so to speak. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing Induction, then later assessing where you want to be. I didn't lose that much weight on Induction anyway (2 pounds), but wanted to control some sugar addiction issues.

Bottom line is that it's a personal decision to make. No hard fast rules for people who need to lose less than 20 pounds. Dr. Atkin's new book Atkin's for Life apparently addresses some of these issues. I bought it, just haven't read it yet.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sat, Feb-22-03 at 14:21.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 17:40
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Of course someone can do this plan even if they don't need to lose weight. I am impressed that you have people that want to support you and want to improve their own health. That is so cool! They probably don't need to go through an induction-unless they want to. Just cutting carbs will go a long way to improving their overall health.

I only got on this woe to lose some excess fat. HOWEVER, my triglicerides and cholesterol dropped like a rock. COuld have floored me. I also plan to keep to this woe even after I no longer need to lose weight. The other benefits are too wonderful to ever give up.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 18:00

Plan: atkins my way
Stats: 228/216/185
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default health issues

What got me curious about Atkins was the fact that it may lower BP. I have high BP and thought I would give Atkins a try. Wow it worked. BP was lowered from 170/90 to 120/80 in only 6 weeks. I have lost weight also, but to keep my BP under control-NATURALLY is the reason I will stay on this woe. I did on 20 carbs the first week and then 30. Now I do between 30-60. My mother started with about 50 and continues to do well also. I no some will say this is not the way, but it works for me. Give it a try.