Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/168/130 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question am i allowed to eat atkins products during induction?

I just started the induction period and I'm a little confused. I see all of these great Atkins products like his waffle mix or syrup and I'm confused as to if I can eat them durring induction, or at all. I've looked up all of these websites on the diet and not a single one informs me as to if I can eat any of his low-carb products while on the diet, except for his breakfast bars, milkshakes and cereals. Someone, anyone, please give me your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:19

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

No. Are they on the list? Keep it clean if you can go 2 weeks without needing fake waffles.

Some people do eat them. I guess if you can't go 2 weeks, and its a choice between real waffles and 'diet food' waffles, I'd choose the diet.

And although I'd reccomend sticking to induction foods, this isn't a cult... eat them if you feel comfortable with that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:28

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi niko52!
I'm not sure off the top of my head if they're legal on induction or not but my humble suggestion would be to stay away from them for now. The more you can stick to non processed foods and avoid frankenfoods, etc. the better.
First off some of that stuff can stall your weight loss and I think part of the objective of induction is to show you that Atkins does work and hopefully to give you a quick dose of success.
Second, IMHO I think that for awhile to do without anything that resembles the old bad eating habits is a good idea just to allow you to learn that you can eat really well with lots of variety and great taste without falling back on the sugar and flour stuff OR substitutes.
If you're looking for some variety (I know I quickly got bored with the obvious food choices) go to the Kitchen: Low Carb Recipes to find other good stuff to eat. Again choose carefully for induction choices (I think there is a sticky there listing induction recipes) and later when you've formed new habits get more creative....there is tons of great stuff in that forum!
Anyway, I'm rambling but I hope this is some help!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:50
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I agree with Archie to stay away from them for now. Try to do a clean induction (no bars, shakes, Atkins foods, etc.) That will help jump start your weight loss.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 21:01

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Well, Atkins has started putting on the labels what phases they are safe for. It's a multi-color box with the numbers 1-4 in it. The numbers correspond to the phases of Atkins, with 1 being induction. So they thing it's safe to eat any of the products with the 1 during induction.

That being said, there are two different waffle/pancake mixes. The normal and the deluxe. The normal is labeled as being okay for induction (only 3 carbs) but the deluxe isn't (don't know carb count off top of head).

Now, beware if you are single... the instructions on the back make two servings.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 23:21

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Ummm...
The labels on those bars are placed by a company aiming to make profits. This should be distinguished from the nutritional plan intially devised by Atkins the doctor and individual. The company has already been sued, and had to pay a considerable sum for misleading and exploiting Atkins dieters.

Certainly if Niko decides she wants to try them, stick to what the company at least says is for induction. I was just saying, they aren't on the induction foods list, so I would stick to that... you have all of OWL to do whatever!!

Oh and Niko, there is a waffle recepie that got rave reviews on the breakfast forum, just do a search (I haven't tried it, can't get 'pork rinds' in Australia!)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 23:36

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

also a easy way to check is going to the Atkins webiste and checking out the "store" each product is shown with the same mulit colored boxes nowonder mentioned.

Advantage Bars and Muffin Mixes are legal if I remember correctly