Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:37

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Default Just started Atkins 3/17/03

Hi! I'm new to atkins. Just found this board today. Now that my newborn is 8 weeks old, I'm determined to lose the extra 25 lbs, so I started atkins Monday and I'm down 2 lbs, so I'm assuming I'm doing something right and it's working

On most days I feel ok, but yesterday I got a killer headache. Anyone have any suggestions as to why?? I'm sticking to what we're supposed to eat in induction, so I'm not sure why I got a headache, but at least its gone

Are we allowed to drink the shakes during induction, and if so, what's the difference between atkins shakes and EAS' ready to drink shakes (which are low carb and high in protein). Before I got pregnant with my daughter I did body for life and really like the EAS shakes, so if they're ok, I'd like to drink those, as I know how they taste.

what vitamins and other supplements are good?

Looking forward to posting and losing weight with all of you.

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:45
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Jo and welcome -

Headache? Yes I remember those - plus I was dizzy and weak for about 6 days and then it was like a fog lifted for me and I felt great from then on. Oh yea... and no more bloating.

It is carb detoxing and it sucks but it is so worth it.

Just eat when you are hungry and eat healthy.

All the best to you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 13:49

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

Hi Jo!! Welcome! I started 3/14/03, so we're pretty close!

I haven't had headaces this time around, but I did get them really bad the last two times I did the Atkins.

That's right! Carb detoxing and yes it does suck! But, like LisaK said...it's sooo worth it!

Good Luck and hope to see ya posting!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 14:12

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

The headache was either carb or caffeine withdrawl, & you'll be rid of them completely in a couple days. The shakes are OK while Induction, and just must be counted in your daily carb count. Atkins shakes are higher in fat & lower in protein. I know it sounds strange but while on this diet fat is good, in fact it should be where you get most of your calories. I don't see a problem with the other shakes as long as they're low in carbs. If you're leary of switching, you can try the Atkin's in single can shake form. This is how I tried them for flavor before buying a 4-pack of a flavor. Thus far I've tried the Chocolate (1g net carb) and Strawberry (2g net carb) and found them both to be fine, even good as far as shakes go. I have a can of Vanilla (1g net carb) in the fridge to try for supper tonight. In case you're unsure of the whole net carb thing, net carbs=total carbs-fiber & sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are only found in the processed low carb items, such as shakes, bars, & candies. For supplements take a good multi-vitamin like Atkins Basic #3 or equivalent, and a calcium magnesium supplement. As a woman & mother you need all the calcium you can get, plus it's been proven to aid in weight loss. If you encounter a constipation problem, some do some don't, add fiber in the form of psyllium husks- look for one without added sugar; I take Metamucil Pills-no sugar, and to me more pallatable than a powder. Any other supplements would be your choice, I take others but I won't bore you or confuse you with them. Congratulations on making a commitment to be healthier, and welcome. We're all here to help one another. Make sure you drink tons of water & eat those veggies. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 14:13

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

As for the Atkins shakes, or any other type of protien shake, I would stay away from them during induction. Induction you are getting your body rid of those nasty carbs and other things floating around your body. I would first get the plan down first with iduction, then I would try to add the protein shakes if you want to. That is just my opinion.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 15:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

My pal Stacey, a new mom, is now about 10 lbs under her pre-pregnancy weight after a month on Atkins. Her goal is to reach her teenage hottie weight (she's in her mid-30's), and she is not that far off. Her DH (a great guy) is even getting a little jealous of his newly thinning wife - he brought her home some Krispy Kremes last Friday.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 16:59

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

Good to hear that the headaches 'should' be temporary!

After reading the posts, I think I will try the Atkins shakes. My reasoning for wanting to do a shake now (and not waiting till after induction), is I'm running out of food, and I know from the past that shakes fill me up. And being a mom of a newborn and a 30 mth old, grabbing a shake is just SO much easier. But I think I will limit it to just one per day during induction, having it first thing in the morning and pushing my breakfast (where I have bacon and eggs) up to like 11am when my 30 mth old is in preschool.

By the way, how long should induction last? I've read 14 days, but I've seen posts here that indicate much longer.

Amy-Lynne, let me know how the Vanilla tasted and thanks for the explanation on the net carb thing!! definitely was helpful. I'm in the process of reading Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, but it's going slow because of the kids. When I have free time, all I want is a nap. I'm not BFing anymore (stopped saturday), but my we little one still likes waking ever 2-3 hours to be fed. But I have noticed since starting Atkins I have more energy. Thank God.

As for supplements, how do I get Atkins Basic #3, and info about it? While I was pregnant, the dr's had me take a Calcium Magnesium supplement, but it had zinc in it. Is that OK to take, or should I go out and get one that just has Calcium Magnesium?

I currently take High Lignan flax seed oil twice a day with my salad (lunch and dinner). I mix it with vinegar.

I'm also thinking of taking L-Carnitine before Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, what do you think?

Amy-Lynne, you mentioned drink tons of water (which I'm trying to do, but NEED to work on it for sure), and eat those veggies. What veggies do you suggest? and how much per day. I thought I remember reading only 1 cup of veggies per day during induction, is this true??

Another question I have is I have never gone over 20g carbs, quite the contrary, I'm finding it dificult to eat even 10g of carbs. I'm pretty good when I put my mind to something, so cutting out the carbs wasn't that hard for me. Is this OK? or do I need to be eating close to 20g a day??

I guess what I'm asking is, could you all list suggestions for healthy low carbs, as this is all new to me.

Thanks again for all the responses. You and this board are really helpful!!

Jo
Mom to 2 girs, who wants to lose the weight gained during pregnancy, and get my body back, as we are FINISHED reproducing!!! LOL
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:21

BF:

Calcium, magnesium & zinc is fine. You can have 2c salad plus 1c of any of these veggies:
artichoke hearts, asparagus, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts,
beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, brussel sprouts, cabbage,
cauliflower, celery, chard, collard greens, dandelion greens,
eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, leeks, okra, onion, pumpkin,
rhubarb, sauerkraut, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash,
spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips,
water chesnuts, or zucchini
The ingredients of Atkins Basic #3 is on page 303 of NDR. You can buy it at GNC or on-line at any low carb site, but it's pretty expensive. I got a good deal on mine at E-Bay- search atkins, then go to health & beauty. I'll let you know about the vanilla after supper.
Don't worry too much about not quite hitting 20g of carbs, as long as you're eating enough veggies.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 18:56

BF:

As for the vanilla shake, not bad, not bad at all. I might even but a 4-pack next time I'm at Wal-Mart.
A-L