Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 18:18

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default question on deli meats

I love to get deli meats-- turkey and chicken-- cause they're so fresh and tasty, and one can get sick of tuna from a can, but i end up eating it plain (which is a bit salty), wrapped in lettuce leaves (getting old) or tossed into a salad (also a bit boring). Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to use/eat deli meats?

Do u think if I asked for an extra thick slab like a half an inch think, they would give it to me and i could dice it up to use in stir fry or casseroles?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

You know, if you buy frozen skinless and boneless chicken breasts, or even cook up a roast on sunday just to slice and store, they are really really good and healthy - you can do anything with it quickly, and they freeze well (plus, they do taste better than deli)...I saute my precooked chicken with mushrooms and celery, with a pat of butter and 1.5 tablespoons of italian dressing - it is to die for!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 18:24

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Of course you can get it thicker. I often will do that with ham so that I can cut it into chunks for ds. I like to do a roll up with a slice of cheese inside and nuke it to slightly melt the cheese. You can put whatever you like in or on it and make your own roll ups. I have to be careful though, they do add sugar to most of the deli meats. Usually about 2 carbs per 3 ounce serving.
Marie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 18:33

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

thanks guys!.... i do sometimes use the frozen chicken breasts (though i find them chewy, stringy, and not as tender--boiling them as helped soften them, but still, they're tough on my gentle gums what brand do u use/cooking method?)

I get Boar's head from Stop and Shop-- certain types like the turkey have 0 carbs per 2 oz and taste fabulous
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 19:01

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I do my frozen chicken breast tenders/pieces by baking in the oven with lots of olive oil. Makes them very tender and helps keep my fat % up. I also usually get Boar's Head or Dietz & Watson deli meats. The only type that I found that had no carbs was the roast beef. The others even at a 2 oz portion (which for me is a joke - I've never eatten that small of an amount!) range from 1 to 3 carbs on the nutrition sheet I got from the deli. A couple of the different turkeys listed 0, but when I got them to show the ingredient list sugar was listed. They just don't have to put it if it is .9. That is why I think they use such small serving sizes. Good luck with the cooking. The olive oil really helped. Oh, and another good way is to put a turkey breast or chicken in a crock pot with whatever liquid you like and slow cook it all day. Yum.
Marie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 19:51

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Now WHY had I never thought to put the meat/cheese roll-up in the microwave to melt the cheese???? After 10 months you'd think I would have thought of that! Thanks for mentioning it, Marie.