Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Frustrated!

I know type of thread has been posted before, but I'm FRUSTRATED! I started Atkins on 6/17 and have so far only lost 9 pounds. The first 7 pounds were the first week! Since then, I seesawed for a week or so, finally got off another two pounds.
My diet looks something like this:

2 or 3 eggs in the a.m.
scrambled in butter with about an ounce of cheese
Mushrooms (1/2 cup)
Tablespoon of chopped green onions

Tuna salad for lunch with mayo, 1/2 stalk of celery

Steak for dinner with 2 cups of salad containing romaine lettuce, celery, 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes, full-fat, no carb Roquefort dressing.

Jello snack with 2T whipped cream at night
Lots of water (70-90 ounces daily)
Two or three glasses of decaffeinated iced tea with Splenda.

I read somewhere that I needed to maybe get MORE fat into the diet. So I tried mixing some sour cream with my eggs this a.m. I've been diligent and writing down my carbs. I think once or twice in the last month I went over 20 by maybe 1 or 2 carbs. (Sometimes I'll add some avocado to my salad).
Also, I walk 5 times a week, 2-3 miles a day. This a.m. I started adding some weight training after a 2 mile walk. (100 crunches, Curls with 5 lbs. weights, and leg kicks).
Okay - any ideas? I could use some help here!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 11:56

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Well, I hate to be the first one to pop in and tell you to be patient, but alas. Your menu looks fine, exercise is great, and though it may seem slow to you, your rate of loss is not only normal but GREAT.

Your body will slow loss as it's trying to recup after the initial induction loss. Happened to me too and tons of others I know. Just be patient and the loss will return! I promise.

Keep up the good work!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:09

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

You are doing great!! Your body needs to adjust to the weight loss. After the initial 9 lbs you loss will slow down, you may not lose any weight for a couple of weeks & then woosh! Wooshes are different for everybody. I've been stalled for weeks!! I'd be happy with just 1 lb.
Pascale
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 12:17

Stats: 299/249/165 Female 71"
BF:fat, what fat? LOL
Progress: 37%

you will probably see more results soon...however if you don't some people stall with the jello becasue of the aspartame.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:31
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hang in there! I know it is frustrating when you aren't losing weight. The best thing to help get through those times is to focus on another good benefit of the WOE. Do you feel more energetic? Are you sleeping better? Have you maybe lost inches instead of pounds?

Try not to weigh yourself every day or else you will go crazy! Re read the Acceptable Foods list and see if maybe you're intaking too much cheese, or some hidden carbs. Give it a little time. 4 days is not a lot of time. See where you are after the 2 weeks and go from there.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:34

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I agree. Just give it time. Atkins is a way of life not quick weight loss. It will happen.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: ADKINS
Stats: 185/183/165
BF:
Progress: 10%

Are you taking supplements like Dr. Atklins recommends in the chapter about weight loss resistance / supplements? I take Lcarnitine, chromium, coq10, EFA's, multivitamin, calcium, and iron. They have helped me move along. Apparently some people are deficit in the above nutrients who may have insulin resistance / trouble loosing.

Good Luck!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks everyone! I know to be patient, but it's hard. Why can't this fat just go away? Anyway, I've checked for hidden carbs, I even write down my daily afternoon piece of sugarless gum! Other than water, I also drink some decaf tea, like I stated, and over the weekend I bought some Crystal Lite lemonade. Says it has no carbs. I'm trying to be careful about aspartame.
Also, I take the Adkins Basic 3 vitamins. Not any other supplements. I read about them today on my lunch hour and I may go to the health food store and get some. I DO know that I could use more calcium. I miss my non-fat milk!
So, thanks for the suggestions. I will trudge on and see what happens. Maybe I'll be the next one to post with a whoosh!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I DO know that I could use more calcium.

Calcium also aids in weight loss. Pick up some suppliments. You may also want to go to the general low carb board on this forum and search yogurt. Apperently the live bacterias eat the lactose turning it to lactic acid making whole milk unsweetened yogurt only about 4 ECC (You need to get one with at least 3-5 live cultures). I eat around 1/2 cup every day and havn't noticed any stalls, in fact I seem to lose better when I have my yogurt.

Are you useing www.fitday.com ? It's a pain, but it does help. If you are having too much protien it can trigger insulin reactions. Also it helps to be sure you are getting +60% of your calories from fat. Remember Atkins is not a high protien diet, it's high fat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:01

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Well all I can say ias hang in there, look at my records below, I'm 5 pounds from goal, and the main ingredient is PATIENCES

CHEERS Kathy