Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Cholesterol levels

Does anybody understand anything about cholesterol levels? Mine was always very low, usually 160. My Dr. just called to tell me is 220! I am kind of concerned. Most of what I read here, everybody's levels get better with Atkins.
This are the other numbers:
Tri 30
HDL 83
LDL 131

I told the nurse is was on Atkins and asked if there was anything I should do about this levels. She said "Sure, just watch what you eat and exercise!" (What a big help!) Any comments from the experts out there?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:40
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

How long have you been on Atkins. Soemtimes there is an initial rise, then the numbers improve. Was it a fasting test? Sometimes different tests show innaccurate results.

If you've been on Atkins for a while and it was a fasting test, what are you eating? Is there a source of transfats, and are you eating your veggies? What are your menus like?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:49

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Actually, your numbers are fine. Your HDL to total ratio is 2.65, which is very comfortably below the 4.0 threshold.

Did you happen to get a breakdown of the types of LDL? One kind is dangerous (smaller cells), as opposed to the other (larger cells). Very few labs actually do this breakdown, so I was wondering if they did indeed give you this information.

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 08:53.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:54

BF:

Ladybelle,
I have been doing Atkins since May. I have just discovered, though, while playing with Fitday for the first time since I started this WOE, that I eat almost 2,000 calories and almost 50 carbs a day! No wonder I'm not loosing. It is a miracle I'm maintaining. The other thing I have against me is that I don't exercise. I know I should, but I don't have day care for my 16 month daughter. I know is an excuse and if I wanted it really bad I could arrange to exercise at 5:00 am when DH is still at home. It feels like -6 degrees here to walk and I can't afford a health club fee at this time.

It was a fasting test. I had not eaten anything since 10 pm the night before and I had my blood drawn at 10:00 am.

Yes, I eat plenty of veggies. Usually breakfast is 2 eggs with a veggie and sometimes bacon (maybe 2-3 times/wk). Other days, omelette with 1 0z cream cheese. I eat a lot of salads with meat, and meat/veggies for dinner. I do cook with lots of butter and add olive oil or blue cheese dressings for salads. I eat cheese and ricotta cheese and put cream on coffee.

I take supplements and eat flaxseeds and take omegas.

I am really scared about this result, because I don't want to have to stop this WOE. Atkins is a high fat, so what do I have to change? This is bad timing. I had just figured out I was eating too many calories/carbs and started a clean induction yesterday.

Now I'm at a loss and don't know where to turn.

Thanks for any help you can give me. I respect your comments and knowledge and you've proven to be very succesful at this.
Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:57

BF:

OHGal,
Thanks for your response. I will call the nurse again and ask if they have that breakdown. Any suggestions about the 220 number? Would exercise lower that or do I have to change something on my diet?
Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 09:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Latingirl...I really don't think you have anything to be worried about. With an HDL of 83 and triglycerides at 30, you are in a very low risk category even with a total of 220! It seems to me that you are doing great!

Total cholesterol doesn't really tell you anything about what's going on. The ratios are what are now considered important as well as having high HDL (over 50 is considered protective against heart disease for women) and low triglycerides. Your HDL to total ratio is 2.65 (excellent!).
If it were me, I wouldn't change a thing!

This link from the Protein Power website might help ease your concerns as well http://www.eatprotein.com/answers11.htm#

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 09:12.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:04

BF:

LisaN,
Thank you! I really need to get serious about exercise, though...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 10:43

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yes. Exercise WILL lower that number. And as the good Dr. A always said-- "exercise ISN'T an option!".
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:10
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Latingirl, if I had cholesterol numbers like that I'd be THRILLED! I think you can assume that the rise in total cholesterol is due to your very high HDL level, which is fantastic!! So what's likely happened is that being on Atkins has improved your cholesterol numbers, just as is to be expected.

Congrats, and I agree, don't change a thing--except you should exercise, on general principles.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_yo...fats_phony.html
http://www.theomnivore.com/
There is lots of info about the myth of cholesterol causing problems. You HDL and tryglycerides are fantastic. I am very concerned that my cholesterol is too low (total 125).
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Another good site regarding the high cholesterol = heart disease myth is www.thincs.org
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 12:44

BF:

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I will check out the links. I found out that I can walk at my son school's indoor track. Now I need all of you to show up at my doorstep at 5:00 am and help me get my lazy butt out of bed!
Thanks again.