Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default My doctor & the Atkins' Diet

I went to my doctor's office today and while there, asked about the Atkins' Diet (I'm trying to lose weight). I was told that every single one of their patients who has tried the diet has, indeed, lost weight; however, EVERY single one of them had an increase in cholesterol (plus they gained all the weight back when they went off the diet).

I asked about those who swear their cholesterol was lowered after being on the diet (or maintaining the "Atkins way") and was told that they must have either already had a good cholesterol level or it's genetic.

Those who prescribe to this diet seem to rave about it for two reasons: They lost weight, which is good. And their cholesterol level is good even though they are indulging in foods that are typically on the no-no list for those trying to lower their cholesterol and/or triglyceride levels.

There are two points to be made. One, just because a person loses weight doesn't mean they have done so in a healthy manner (i.e., Fen Phen). Second, some people are genetically "blessed" with the ability to eat pretty much what they want and not be effected by the high fat/cholesterol content. This is obvious if you consider those individuals who do eat these kinds of unhealthy foods yet maintain normal cholesterol levels as opposed to those who do NOT eat unhealthy foods yet STILL cannot maintain a healthy cholesterol level without the aid of medication.

I don't think Atkins proponents seriously comprehend the role of genetics. And because of this, they insist fatty and cholesterol laden foods are not the culprits of obesity nor high cholesterol and triglyceride levels because eating unhealthy foods hasn't effected them in a negative manner. This is dangerous because many people out there (and I've read some messages from some of those right here) believe it will be OK for them, eat the no-no food, and end up in a worse cardiovascular situation.

This is the bottom line why Atkins can be dangerous: Those predisposed genetically to good health "no matter what" are not the model for those who are not so predisposed. And when a philosophy insists that good health advice (reduce high fat and cholesterol foods) is untrue, it puts people in danger when they disregard common sense and PROVEN facts for a plan that works for only a few.

If you are one of those blessed individuals who can eat all the foods we're told not to and still be healthy, more power to you. But please stop spreading the lie that this works for everyone and insist that if it doesn't, it must mean the person isn't "following" the plan correctly.
Sponsored Links