Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 14:52

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%
Default How do we burn the "right" fat??

I'm a little confused and I hope someone can help. I know we are supposed to eat a large percentage of fat, while keeping the carbs low, to lose weight. What I am confused about is all the posts that state that our bodies choose to burn dietary fat and alcohol first, before body fat. If I am consuming large amounts of fat when does my body fat have a chance to be used???? I just don't get it. Someone PLEASE enlighten me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I've never heard that it burns dietery fat before body fat. It seems with my body, at least, the more fat I eat, the more fat I lose.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 18:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

It still comes down to how many calories you burn as opposed to how many you take in. Once you use up what you take in it moves on to the next "course", hopefully from my thighs!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 19:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

I'm not sure what burning body vs dietary fat means either. All I know is that if I want to lose some weight and get back on track, I eat a half pound of bacon 2 days in a row and my body suddenly remembers how to burn the fat off my tummy. It's a mystery, but there it is. The more fat I eat the more fat (body) I burn. I suppose instead of bacon I could drink olive oil, but bacon is so much more tasty. Dietary fat is our friend.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 19:05

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Keeping carbs at a reasonable level balances insulin. When the insulin is balanced glucagon is produced by the pancreas. This , glucagon, is insulin's partner hormone. It sweeps fats out of the system and it enhances lipolysis ( ketosis ), among other things. We burn it and it is also past through the system as waste material ( ketones ) Our bodies' processes fats more efficiently than it processes carbohydrates. When carbohydrates are too high, insulin is kept busy stuffin the glucose into our cells and the glucagon is not being manufactured. This results in the storage of fat since carbohydrates must be burned off first.

Therefore it doesn't matter what kind of fat it is. If your insulin is stable, you will begin to have a body that is a fat-processing machine.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 19:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think if you want to burn fat from the right side of your body you should take a shower and hold your left arm up for 5 minutes. That signals the Atkins-enzymes to run over to the right side of the body and begin the fat-burning process. If you wish to burn fat from your buttocks, you need to pull your right knee into your chest while holding up the right arm and singing "Kill da wabbit" at the top of your lungs, in the shower of course. Be sure to use soap that contains REAL fat, not transfats and avoid scented soaps with frangrences with the word "Mountain" or "Fresh" in their title. Not that they do anything, but they usually just don't smell all that good. Lavender and Rosemary scents also signal the Atkins-enzymes to burn stored fat.

Once you've mastered the right-side side and buttock fat burning system you'll be ready for lesson two which involves stomach fat and some tricky manuevers with a ball of twine and last Sunday's newspaper.

Just kidding! Although if you come over and here me singing in the shower at the top of my lungs I am simply perfecting my fat-burning technique.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 21:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Nancy, you had me laughing my head off that is just too funny. I even had read it to my DH, although for some reason he didn't find it as funny
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 21:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

Nancy, that was great. Right knee into my chest. Not at this weight. I might be able to hold my right arm up marty