Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 15:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default HELP!! I HAD TO CHEAT!!!

I need some help. Yesterday I had to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled, and was not allowed to eat or drink anything prio to my 4:30 appt. Afterwards they instructed me to go and get a shake or a wendys frosty to coat my stomach before taking this heavy duty pain med. I asked them if there was anything else I could have and they said no. So I went and had a small frosty from wendys. This morning about 4 a.m. I had to take about 2-3 ozs. of milk with the same med. Later on a had 1 packet of my daughters cinnamon cream of wheat flavor. And then just a little while ago I had about 3/4 cup of tomato soup. I cant chew anything so I am at a lost. I feel soooooo guilty but they gave me a list of foods that I should eat: Pudding, jello, ice cream, mashed potatoes, pancakes, soups, shakes. Now the jello is fine, but im sorry it doesn't fill me up. Let me tell you I am hungry. Does anybody ave any suggestions for me? If I have to eat these foods I just dont want to gain any weight that I have already lost. This sucks!!!! If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks sabrina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 16:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy hi Sabrina

I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. I've had a lot of tooth a jaw problems recently, so I understand what you're going through.

First .. the dentist office should have a list of sugar-free food choices for their diabetic patients. I won't go into the fallacies and misconceptions of their instructions -- what's done is done. And glad for you it's over with. You should be feeling better in a day or two..

What to eat now? You can purée anything and everything if you have a blender or food processor. Cooked meats, chicken, cans of tuna can be puréed into a paté-like consistency. Add a little broth or mayonnaise to keep it moist. Vegetables can be puréed, add some melted butter, cream and/or broth. Cooked cauliflower can be puréed with some soft cream cheese and a little butter, and is just like mashed potatoes. Add favourite vegetables to broth, purée and add a little cream for soup .. cream of broccoli is nice.

I had a terrible time with a badly infected molar & jawbone a few months ago, and I ate a lot of sloppy, blenderized food for a while! But, it got me by .. and I confess I still really like velvety smooth vegetable purées ... brussels sprouts are amazing ... add a little butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice

Hope you're feeling better soon,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 17:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hope you are feeling somewhat better. I can commiserate with you, a couple of years ago I went through a similar experience. Taking the pills with cream instead of milk will lower your carb count and still coat your stomach. If you have a blender it is time to get it running. Just about anything can be pulverized. Not very appetizing to look at but they do it all the time in nursing homes and such. If you don't have a blender, use baby food. The single ingredient ones - not the ones that are mixed foods. Just check the label to make sure they haven't added any starch to get the baby food consistancy. When you can move on to semi soft foods, things like egg salad or or soft boiled eggs will work nicely.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 18:15

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sabrina, hope you're feeling better soon. I had all four of my wisdoms pulled two years ago; not pleasant. Watch out for straws; negative pressure will cause dry sockets and that's something you do not want! Doreen's a life saver; if you check out her journal I'm sure I read some of the recipes for the pureed veggies she told you about. I'd also suggest getting some protein shakes to have around for emergencies; you want to keep your protein intake up.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 20:23

BF:
Default thanks

Thanks everyone for your concern. I am feeling a little better. I must say however that with having an I.V. sedation, I always seem to get that sick feeling, so I was not up to par to do any blender stuff. Couldn't even stand to long without feeling nausus. (spelling) Anyways had I not been feeling this way I would have done the others like you recommended. So I must say that later on this evening I had about a half a cup of mashed potatoes with a little gravy. Friend went and got it didnt think to say with no gravy. I also had 1 pancake later. That will be all that I will eat because I feel so guilty and have done so good so far and especially thru thanksgiving. I have drank quite a bit of water today so I hope that will help. Does anyone suggest that maybe I should start induction all over again? sabrina
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 06:59
Registered Member

Plan: 10-20g per day
Stats: 169/129/125
BF:
Progress: 91%

Oh geez what awful memories this brings back!

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out, along with about half my jaw because they were so embedded, when I was 18. I wasn't low carbing at the time, but just the thought of food in my mouth made me shudder. I am sure I starved myself of food for four days before starting on soup at about the sixth day! I had no rules about pain killers - I just remember taking a lot of them!

I clearly remember my first 'hard' meal was a McDonalds fillet-o-fish. Things change, eh!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:23

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I had all four of mine cut out when I was 16. Boy oh boy do I remember that!

Now I find out my hubby has to go through this in January. I feel sorry for him already.

Sabrina, I wouldn't worry too much about what you eat right now. You need the food to help heal, and even though you feel guilty about eating high carbs....they are better than having nothing at all. It's only for a few days until you can eat more solid foods, then jump back on the wagon.

*hugs* and Hope this finds you feeling better!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:02

BF:
Default Thanks agonycat

I fell for your hubby too. I wasn't having any problems with them they just have overcrowded my mouth and teeth that when I go to the dentist for a cleaning and they floss they have a hell of a time because my teeth are so tight. Then the dentist gives me this lecture, you know sabrina it will be better for you in the long run if we get these out. You may not have no problems now but you might later on. So thats why I decided to get them out. I have had them for years. Its so nice to hear someone say thats ok about the foods, I weighed myself and didin't gain anything so thats a plus. Yesterday I got back on and had scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast/lunch and then again for dinner with some chicken and turkey from boston market. Had some sf jello with whipped cream and cream cheese for snack. So we will see how this goes. Still a little sore but getting better. Its funny that when I couldn't eat anything but something like mashed potatoes I was craving my steaks and burgers. Still would like to have a steak right about now. Well enough jibber jabber, just wanted to say thank you. sabrina
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:06

BF:
Default OOPS!!! LOL

Sorry agonycat I should have checked my spelling. What I wanted to say was that I feel for your hubby too. Instead it came out I fell for your hubby too. LOL sabrina
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 09:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking re --Ooops!

Sabrina, that's too funny!!

note - if you want to go back and fix a typo, or change something, just click on the edit button, lower right corner of all your posts. Members can edit their own posts up to 48 hrs after.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 12:32

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Now I find out my hubby has to go through this in January. I feel sorry for him already.

One of the thing they had me do a few days before I went in was have some advil; every 6 or 8 hours I'd take 2 with water. I had absolutely no swelling or bruising when my four were pulled. None of mine were impacted though; in fact all 4 were errupted.

Lots of sympathy and cold packs will help

Nat
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 16:23

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

When I had mine taken out the doctor gave me some meds to take 2 weeks prior to removal. (Sorry I don't remember what it was, but it was 26 years ago) I didn't have a bit of swelling either, but I do remember the pain afterwards. Lucky me...mine were sideways. It almost felt as if someone had broken my jaw and I couldn't open my mouth for 2 or 3 days. After that I was fine.

Sabrina, my hubby got a chuckle at your typo and I am glad you are feeling better. Like I said, going high carb for a couple of days I wouldn't sweat it. It may have blown you out of keytosis, however you can always get back into it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 20:07

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/236/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sabrina..

Hope your feeling better !!!

But stay away from Agonycat's husband !!!!

Deb