Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 09:57
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Lepin

Washington Post article (February 16, 2004):

A Dream of Burning Fat Cells

In what sounds like every dieter's dream, scientists have figured out a way to turn fat-storing cells into little fat-burning machines. Unfortunately, it has only been done in laboratory rats, and the human applications remain in the future.
Nevertheless, the scientists say it could eventually lead to new ways to help Americans fight their expanding waistlines.

"This is in no way a cure for obesity," said Roger H. Unger of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, who led the work. "But it is a road map. It's a strategy for future research."

Unger and his colleagues injected rats with a virus genetically engineered to carry the gene for the hormone leptin, which is normally produced by fat cells. The virus infected the animals' livers, causing the organ to produce leptin. The resulting high levels of leptin in the animals' bloodstreams made the rats rapidly lose weight.

When Unger and his colleagues examined the animals' fat cells, they discovered that they had shriveled in size and were chock-full of an unusually large number of structures known as mitochondria, tiny energy-producing powerhouses inside cells, said a report last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"We turned them into fat-burning machines full of mitochondria," Unger said in an interview.

The findings indicate that fat cells normally develop a defense against their own leptin, which would explain why injecting the hormone into the body has failed to make people lose weight. But when the hormone comes from another part of the body, it appears to bypass that defense. If researchers could identify that mechanism and harness it, that could lead to new weight-loss treatments, Unger said.

"The fat cell builds a defense against its own leptin. This study really shows what it's defending against," Unger said. "What we need to do is find that barrier and bypass it."

-- Rob Stein
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bizarre.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:29

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I read a much longer article about this in Discover. This story is a very good summary. Sadly, it does not work on obese rats, only on normal weight and overweight ones.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:23

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groggy60
I read a much longer article about this in Discover. This story is a very good summary. Sadly, it does not work on obese rats, only on normal weight and overweight ones.

Kinda suggests that there's more of a problem involved in obesity than simple overeating and "lack of will."

Myself, I wonder why people are jumping all over Atkins and calling it unhealthy and unnatural, yet this is being left alone? I'm all for the research, but to *me* this seems rather iffy.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 10:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=166622

Another story about it that I posted awhile back.

Do you suppose that someday there will be a magic anti-fat weightloss treatment? /sigh I'll probably be 80 before it is around though.