Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 17:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/218/160 Female 5feet 3inches
BF:
Progress:
Default gallbladder(911)

Well new to this forum and need some help my DH and I have been LCing for the last 4 mo. and doing well.I have been at the same WT for 1 1/2mo. and then on Monday night after having pain for about 10 hours and getting sicker with every hour.Igot my DH up at 2:30am to go to the ER in the snowstorm it took us 30min. to get there it would have been 10 any other time.And then was tolked that my gallbladder had to come out this was 6am Tuesday had it taken out at 5pm that day and came home wed.night.I'm still not getting around all that well not like I would on most days.My Dh was told that 2-3 day and I would be fine so am I just a baby or is this how it is.

I also was told to eat low fat for sometime I dont want to do that can you LC and not have a gallbladder.And if so how do I restart LC at this point and what can I eat.Do i stay with what I know Dr. said somthing about SB but dont know how to go from Atkins to SB can anyone help me with all this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 18:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi DYBlowcarb!

Sorry to hear about your harrowing trip to the ER and your resulting surgery! As far as what you can eat, you're going to have to gauge that for yourself, I'm afraid. About 10% of people who have their gallbladders removed have problems with higher fat percentages following surgery; the remaining 90% don't. The only advice my surgeon gave me following my gallbladder removal was to eat whatever I pleased and if something seemed to bother me then avoid it. I don't have a problem with getting even 70%+ of my daily calories from fat. About the only things that give me trouble (lots of gas and belching) are sweet peppers and popcorn. Others here will tell you that it causes them no small amount of distress to eat that much fat, but instead they continue to low carb at a somewhat lower fat percentage.
I'd say go back to how you were eating prior to surgery and see how you feel. If it causes you problems, then start cutting back on the fats until you feel comfortable.
As for the discomfort, I'm assuming by your quick discharge that you had the surgery done laparoscopically. I had mine removed that way and was somewhat tender for about a week, although the worst of the discomfort was probably during the first 3 days and got quickly better after that. Then again...I have a high pain tolerance, so my experience may not be typical.
Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Feb-02-04 at 18:06.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hello there...I had mine taken out long before LCing. I don't have any problems with fat foods. Just take it one day at a time. I was very sick for a long time before someone finally found out why, and I am doing just fine without mine. Best of Luck to you.
Anna
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:22

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I would say it took me 2-3 weeks to get over the pain and get around, but I also had another surgery at same time. I was told to go home and ease into food. Also if you find that your stomach gets sick and continues to weeks/months later have your doctor try you out on Colestid/Questrian. Some gallbladder removal patients end up needing this for their stomach to act more normally.