Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 04:43

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 146/136/119 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Getting Married in Sept 2004 - Emergency weight loss tips needed please help!!

Hello everyone! (I'm from Liverpool UK)
I have been trying to loose 2 st (281bs) for at least 5 years!! Things are getting pretty desperate now as I have to loose by September. (or my wedding dress won't fit!!) My problem is I lose a stone an put it back on!! I yo - yo with the same stone all year.. However I have never tried Low Carb diets before and have lost 71bs on my first week, which is fantastic.. Sorry if you have been through this already but I have a few questions that the book can't answer me. Hopefully....

1. Can you stay on Atkins Induction for longer than the two weeks, if you do does it increase weight loss?
2. After the Induction is it safe to Drink Alcohol and still loose?
3. will I loose these pounds in time or have I left it too late?
4. How fast/slow does it come off after Induction if you are being good that is? - sorry for the lengh!! hope you can help....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 09:36
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Welcome to the forum.....

I'm no expert on Atkins as I follow the BFL program. Have you tried to do some searches on the specific subjects?

There are a lot of people with great information that I'm sure will be by to help you out.

Good luck - I'm sure you'll lose that weight by your goal date!

Kiks
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:19
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

TJay - first of all, this is not a quick weight loss program. There is no set time/rate of weight loss and given you don't have a lot to lose you may not see real dramatic results. You may stay on induction as long as you like. As for the alcohol - your body will burn that before it burns fat so I'm thinking your weight loss will slow when you reintroduce it.
If you haven't a copy of the book I would encourage you to get one. Best of luck to you.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:47

Stats: 226/156/125 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Welcome TJay!

The title of your thread caught my eye. I started Atkins last July, 2 months before my wedding on 9.7.03. I went from 190 to 170 in 2 months. They had to take my dress in.

I had the mentality at first that it was going to be a temporary thing being on Atkins...but quickly came around that it's really a lifestyle change and a way of eating, not a diet. The fact that you're pretty close, relatively speaking to your goal weight means the weight may not come off as fast as it would had you more weight to lose.

Your questions:

1) yes, as IowaGirl already said, you can stay on induction longer than 2 weeks, usually Atkins prefaces this by saying "if you have a substantial amount of weight to lose", may want to check the book on that
2) IowaGirl answered this
3) You may lose the pounds in time, but be prepared not to, because you're closer to goal. Once you're in maintenance, the pounds come off much slower, which is a good thing.
4) It's sooo individual. For me, it dramatically slows after induction and then comes off 1-2 lbs a week, but sometimes goes slower than that. A lot of people experience a "stall" after induction, but keep in mind, Atkins says it's not an official stall unless it's 4 weeks of no scale movement or more.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Emily
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-27-04, 12:53
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Quote:
2. After the Induction is it safe to Drink Alcohol and still loose?

LOL.. this is my area of expertise.. i've been drinking while on Atkin's since the day i started... i've seemed to have a slower rate of loss.. but i've also lost almost down to Goal weight since starting July of last year..

I've also lost significantly more inches than lbs.. so keep an eye on that as well.. you will be gaining muscle on this diet as well.. and muscle does weigh more than fat..

and As one of the above posters mentioned.. Your body will use up the consumed alcohol before it starts to burn fat again..

What do you drink??
Because... any sort of Vodka, Gin, Rum, Tequilla, Whiskey.. mixed with diet/SF mixers are practically zero carb..

Watch out for Beers.. and sugary mixed drinks.. as they will kick ya out of ketosis ..

Good Luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 01:19

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 146/136/119 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I’ve been thinking… your right, as long as the weight comes off even slowly it’s a bonus so close to goal !!

I’m really happy that there is a low-carb beer available now in the UK, although I know if I really want to shift the extra 1bs I must stop drinking!! By the way not an Alcoholic or anything – just really enjoy a drink at the weekend it’s practically Law in our house!!

Rachelle – I do drink vodka, but it gets me verry drunk…. verry quickly , if I drink Vodka I ‘m tucked up in bed by nine, with total memory loss the day after opps!!

Am totally committed though!!

Cheers everyone T JAY!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 06:36
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

Sounds like you've got your priorities in the right place. Losing the weight slowly means that you're more likely to keep it off!

Keep up that postitive attitude and you're sure to reach your goal (even if it may not be by September...)

Cheers and have a happy Friday! (But stay away from that vodka )

Kiks