Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Unhappy New Scale, new weight.

I finally treated myself to a new scale. It says a pound more than the old one, but that's the weight I'm going by now, since this one is a much better model. The old one was a $5 Target special..

This one is a Health-o-Meter Bodyfat Monitor. My first "zap" is showing 35%, which is about what I figured... I'm wondering what it was BEFORE I lost... It has you enter your height, age and gender, and uses a weak electical current to measure the body fat..(too lazy to type out long-winded science jargon!) It also says to take the first weeks measurements every day, and average to get your "baseline" for comparison... so aforementioned numbers may be subject to change....

I'm actually looking forward to being able to track my progress with it. Maybe that's the motivation I need... another number to try to force downward! It may well be the best fifty bucks I'll spend...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:19
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

How much do they run Barb?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:27

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Cheer up, Barb . When I got my new scale, I realized a 6 pound "gain" ...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 14:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey good for you for treating yourself. I sure wish I had'nt gone so cheap when I bought my new scales! They are good ones, but just the basic.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 15:41
Fully Caffeinated

It was $49.99 at KMart. They had the BMI one on sale for $29.99, but I didn't think that would be as useful.

They have them on eBay "But it Now" right around $48, but the shipping is another ten or so.

I think the neatest part aside from being able to measure bodyfat (I know it's not 100% accurate, but closer than I'd ever get to a "real" test) is that it measures weight to the tenth of a pound. No more guessing of it's 215-almost-fourteen, or 215-almost-16.... <shrug> It may end up driving me nuts on bad days, but I really think I'll feel BETTER knowing I gained a HALF a pound, not a whole pound!! (And knowing exactly what my clothes weigh...lol)

Shadow01...ouch! Okay, I feel a bit better, but don't you also hate going to the clinic and seeing a big difference? Now that I've "adjusted" I'm only going to use the number from THIS scale.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 16:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/208.5/165 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Have a look at Overstock.com. They have several scales for sale. I paid $33.99 for a body fat digital scale and shipping is only ~2.95 on any order and no tax! I've ordered quite a few things from them and always been pleased.
Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I got this one from amazon.
free shipping and no tax either
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...0617310-5700154

(tanita BF 679 if the link doesn't work)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 20:05

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 162/147.5/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

did yours say to weigh about 3 hours after eating and NOT in the morning? In the morning you are more dehydrated from not drinking all night and ours always shows me about 33-34% bf. When I weigh at night (when I remember) I go as low as 29% so it's worth the difference to wait to weigh!

however, as long as you're consistently doing it at the same time per day you should see progress!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 20:10
Fully Caffeinated

It says 2 hours for eating or exercising, I believe. It didn't give a real reason, other than it would affect readings. It didn't say not in the morning, either. Admittedly, I jumped the gun out of curiousity and tested the night before and got a higher bf reading... I wonder why that was, then?

<shrug> I guess I don't care about the exact number, just that it goes down!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 20:18

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 162/147.5/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

ours gives a descripton that body fat is hard for the current to run through but water (muscle is a lot of water) is easy. Therefore if you're dehydrated (or rather, not properly hydrated) the bodyfat percentage will read higher.

My problem is that I drink water constantly so I always feel over-hydrated at night (I have had 48 oz since dinner) so I don't know "when" to weigh. I just weigh in the morning and at least the weight number is going down LOL!