Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/148/140
BF:192/148/140
Progress: 85%
Default Beverages

22 years ago I did a plan called Venus D'Milo. Similar but much more restrictive than Atkins. I lost 40# in 90 days & kept it off for years. Now I'm back up to the most I've ever weighed & after studying the Atkins books, I'm on it. I swear, only 3 days, & I feel better already. Anyhow, one question for anyone who can help: is Crystal Light Ice Tea Mix a permitted beverage on the Atkins induction? I believe it is, but wanted to know anyone elses findings. Thanks & good luck to everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 15:25

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Hi Flora!

I believe it is allowed, just watch the Aspartame! It really stalls some people that are extra sensitive. I have been drinking Tee Java (all natural, no sweetener) and sprinkling a bit of Splenda in it! I am in OWL now and am allowing myself a bit of caffeine.

-Shelly
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 16:45
Registered Member

Stats: 198/192/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Re: Beverages

Quote:
Originally posted by FloraB
22 years ago I did a plan called Venus D'Milo. Similar but much more restrictive than Atkins. I lost 40# in 90 days & kept it off for years. Now I'm back up to the most I've ever weighed & after studying the Atkins books, I'm on it. I swear, only 3 days, & I feel better already. Anyhow, one question for anyone who can help: is Crystal Light Ice Tea Mix a permitted beverage on the Atkins induction? I believe it is, but wanted to know anyone elses findings. Thanks & good luck to everyone!

OK, I have to know! What was Venus D'Milo? Love the name!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 16:49

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Ann, don't you remember the sculpture of the lady with no arms?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 17:11

Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Venus de Milo

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrsy

Kind of a drastic way to lose weight if you ask me! But guaranteed effective.

Janis
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 17:15
Registered Member

Stats: 198/192/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking I am LMBO over here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Atrsy

Thank you for the much needed laugh! I know the sculpture, but was asking about the diet the poster was referring to of her past. I'm in detox now so I needed the chuckle!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 18:47

Stats: 192/148/140
BF:192/148/140

RE: Venus D'Milo-it was a health club thing for women only in the early 80s in California. Some people actually died following the plan. It didn't allow for ANY carbs or sugar or fat - so there wasn't much left to live on. Plus you took 30 vitimins a day &n drank 100 oz of water, just to survive. I like Atkins MUCH better.
But I'm glad it was good for a laugh.
Can anyone help with the orig. question-is Crystal Light Tea allowed on Atkins? I can't find any caffeine count on it. Thanks.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 195/131/120
BF:

Alright, Venus A good nickname if I ever heard one! I have been Atkinsing for 8 mos now, and have had at least 2 cups of coffee every day, along with every flavor of crystal lite ever (inc. tea). I have never experienced a single bit of trouble with caffine or sweetner, but that is just me. The most sure fire way to find out about YOU is to increase your intake of the tea slowly. If your weight loss slows, or your lose your energy, or anything negative, cut back. Literally increase by about 2 glasses every few days. hope it works for you!!!

Good luck,

Anna
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 18:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

According to Atkins, if it's got caffeine in it, it's a no-no on induction. If Crystal Light tea uses regular tea, it's got caffeine in it. You could buy yourself some decaf instant tea and sweeten it with Splenda or you could brew some herbal ice tea and drink that. BTW...I try to make sure I've had my daily water requirement before I start drinking anything else (with my morning decaf coffee being the exception). After doing this for 10 months, I find that I prefer water to most other things now and that's saying a lot coming from a former Diet Coke junkie with a 2 liter a day habit.