Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 10:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/197/180
BF:16.5
Progress: 66%
Default My story.....feedback please

Hi....I am new to this forum....I found it while doing a search on Atkins and have found it to be very informative. A little background and then some questions....I am 39 yo male, 5'6" tall. Presently, I weigh 214 with a bf % around 19....I have about a 37" waist (the 38s are too big and the 36s are a little snug)...I was 143 in high school and have been as high as 238. I am fairly athletic and have even done 2 marathons and about 20 triathlons, but they were all about 3-4 years ago. I am wanting to get my weight down to the 180's as this seems to be very good weight range for me....I am an avid wakeboarder and slalom skier, but as a friend said after watching me this weekend as I flew over the wake....."that's alot of beef going behind the boat"...I have my own gym at home complete with dumbells, squat rack etc., I enjoy weights more than cardio ( I even have a 'Spinning" instructor card)....I have always adhered to the low fat diets and have never been able to get rid of the belly and see that 6 pack....which diet exercise combo would anyone recommend for me? I have been doing Atkins induction for 10 days and have lost about 4 lbs. I am in ketosis and have been walking and lifting some on a rather random schedule...I have followed some of the programs from Testosterone Mag. as well as Body for Life....I am interested in a simple low carb diet and a rather intense exercise schedule...any suggestions would be very appreciated.....I hope that I have not rambled too much, but I thought background would be helpful

Rick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: My story.....feedback please

Quote:
Originally posted by drsullivan
I am interested in a simple low carb diet and a rather intense exercise schedule...any suggestions would be very appreciated

Hi there, Rick

Have you looked over the information in the CKD forum? It's pretty straightforward LC wise and the exercise is pretty intense. Everything is explained in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Alternatively, what about doing straight forward LC with a lifting/cadio regime? Many members of this forum have incorporated the BFL lifting and / or other plans w/ Atkins and other LC nutrition approaches - with great success. Just scroll through the gym logs for an indication.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:32

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

My situation is very similar to yours. I've be doing straight lc along with three weight training workouts and 5 cardio each week. After low carbing for awhile I do notice less stamina when lifting. However, I'm still lifting generally more weight, getting stronger, and adding muscle. I log every workout showing type, weight, reps, and overall 'feeling'. I know you'll see around here that many say you need to eat carbs to add muscle. It's likely true that you will have stronger workouts and add more muscle faster by CKD. But right now I'm quite satisfied that I'm making good progress while sticking with lc. My weight hasn't dropped too much but dimensions are shifting. In my case there's a definite trend toward improvement, although it's fairly slow.
There's lots of knowledge and experience here, and I look forward to hearing about your progress.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 13:54

Stats: 230/197/180
BF:16.5
Progress: 66%

Thanks for the quick replies... I have done German Volume Training before and had good luck....I really want to get my mass down as much as I want to get my BF% down.....I have about 40 lbs of fat and about 175 lbs lean tissue...I bought the Protein Power book today and will read it tonight and see how it sounds as well as look at the other threads here

Thanks

Rick
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default A friend

I'll give you a friend's website to look at. You can even mention to him that you are part of my "low carb group" if you email him a question. I'm planning a get together with people here in Vancouver where everyone can pick his brain. But that might be quite the commute for you.

You seem pretty clear on what you want to accomplish and that should make it easier for Jason to give you some ideas. He is always experimenting to find the best approach to things. For example, right now (he's preparing for a competition) he has worked out exactly what combination of high and low glycemic foods he can add to his protein to give him maximum energy for workouts but not to lose mass. He may be able to give you a few tips, or you could look at his diet (although I doubt even he would recommend you eat it....the gourmet in me dies when I see it). Remember he is at a competitive level, but he coaches people with all sorts of body goals.

You can reach him at www.jasongallant.com

Hope this helps

Good luck

Colin
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 15:17

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there Rick and Doug.....

Welcome to the Forum! It's great to see more members who are into weight training.

I'm one of those that has done BFL along with Atkins diet and at my peak, was eating about 35-40g net carbs a day and feeling great and lifting strong.

However.....I didn't feel like I was accomplishing my goal of losing the fat so I have cut back on the lifting to what I consider "maintenance" levels and have cut back on my carbs as well. Still enjoying my workouts and hoping to get the pounds to drop.

Wishing you well in accomplishing your goals.

Marlaine