Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 119/115/115 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default too tired to workout anymore and nauseous

I only started a low carb diet about a week ago (sort of a modified atkins, I skipped the induction phase because I don't think my body could handle such heavy foods as I was on a very low fat diet previously and only want to lose about 5 lbs).. before this diet I had been lifting weights and jogging religiously for about 6 years. Since starting the low carb diet I am constantly EXHAUSTED to the point where I can't run anymore and and can't lift as heavy or as many reps as I used to. Part of the problem is also that I am feeling nauseous very often throughout the day.. I often don't want to eat and the idea of jogging makes me want to throw up.

So for the past 2 days i have skipped the running (usually around 3 miles a day) and am still losing .. I can't imagine feeling this way long term though.. has anyone else experienced this complete lack of energy and whats up with the nausea?? Is it because I am eating some (still not alot) of things like nuts and cheese when I didn't for so many years on my old low-fat diet???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:37
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

You are feeling a transition from high carb to low carb. This is normal. Your body is going through withdrawals.

Many find that they need more carbs for sustained workouts. Perhaps you could try eating a protein bar/drink or some nuts before exercising.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 12:03
Registered Member

BF:
Default I figured that might explain the lack of energy

but what about the nausea?? I would eat before working out but that always makes me a little sick..
I work out better on a more empty stomach...
thanks for the reply though
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:15
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

How about after then?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 13:36
Registered Member

BF:
Default I do eat after.. (lunch usually)

the problem is that i'm exhausted before my workout and don't have the energy to run.. so whatever the solution, I need it to happen BEFORE my workout!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 14:21
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

You could just be experiencing the normal carb withdrawal that anyone goes through when they switch to low carb, whether they go through induction or not.

I'm curious...if you are not eating heavy, high fat foods what are you eating? The basic diet for OWL is the same as induction with a few added foods.

If you are not eating the high fat foods, you are not getting fat to burn for energy. You must eat fat to get your metabolism to burn fat. Your metabolism could be starving without carbs or fat. And you could be burning muscle.

Last edited by SDgrandma : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 14:23.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 14:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default I am eating:

Cheese, about 4 deli slices or so a day.
nuts
fish
chicken
egg whites

thats pretty much it.

so lots of protein & fat (mostly from cheese and nuts but also get a little from turkey and salmon)

I guess I could be burning muscle, but the fat has dissapeared from where it was before (my hips)??
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 14:51
<---The Crazy One!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I was experiencing the exact some prob when I first started Atkins, but what helped me was taking multivitamins and drinking a ton of water. I feel a lil tired every once in a while, but I'm back on my old work out routine and feel a bit better.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:47

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:

Hi Ariana, I hope you are feeling better now. i hope to be back in Manhattan soon!! miss it!! Anyway, was wondering how you made it thru withdrawal and what you are eating now that you have been on it for a while...thanks!! K
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 18:02

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Cheese, about 4 deli slices or so a day.
nuts
fish
chicken
egg whites

thats pretty much it.

so lots of protein & fat (mostly from cheese and nuts but also get a little from turkey and salmon)

Why aren't you eating any vegetables?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 18:08

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

How many carbs are you consuming? Maybe you need more carbs for the amount/kind of exercise you are doing. Add more veggies, perhaps?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 08:28
Registered Member

BF:
Default sorry

Yes, I always ate a lot of vegetables.. I posted my orignal post so long ago I barely remember what I was eating then.. so a quick update:

I got through my carb withdrawal fine, though I have never returned to my previous cardio routine. I used to run 3 miles a day and kinda quit once I started low carbing.. partly due to total lack of endurance on this WOE and partly because it seems that if I eat low carb I can maintain my weight without cardio. I know its healthly to do cardio anyway and I should start again its just that I love lifting weights and do that 4-5 times a week and if I do cardio too I end up at the gym twice a day!

I still think low carbing must have eaten up some muscle because I still can't lift as heavy or as many reps as I used to while consuming carbs. In general I stay on this WOE because it keeps my energy steady all day rather than the swings I used to have.

Thanks for all your responses
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 09:11

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

One of the reasons you can't lift as heavy on low-carb is that your muscles do not have the glycogen stores they used to. Those of us who do LC and like to lift often supplement our carbs around the time of our workouts. One way to do it is to have a small serving of oatmeal or a small fruit about half an hour before your workout. Another way is to drink half a protein shake and eat 2-3 rolls of Smarties. Smarties are those rolls of pastel colored, pressed powder candy. They are about the same as Sweet Tarts, but not sour. These candies are made from pure dextrose, which pretty much goes straight to the muscles, unlike many other sugars. Within half an hour after your workout, finish the shake and have 2 more rolls of the candy. This will blunt cortisol and help speed the protein in the shake to your muscles for repair.

I have done this myself and you will feel just peachy in the gym.

Cheers,

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Mon, Feb-02-04 at 09:13.