Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 15:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%
Default Who said you will lose inches before weight??? This will make you go HUH????

Got my monthly weigh in today at Curves.

I want to first say that this month I really hustled and went faithfully 3 days or more per week. I worked super hard on the machines and did extra when time allowed.

Also did take a couple long walks, worked a wee bit with weights, a little dancing, and hooping.

I lost absolutely nothing in inches this month adn actually gained in my abdomen. That floored me becuase I figured I had lost something. So I was sad.
I did lose weight...at least 4 pounds..but also I had drank 3/4 gallons of water during the day and I should have peed before weigh in...it may have been more *wishful thinking*
My BMI and Body fat went down which is good...but I am kinda wondering why there was no loss anywhere adn actaully a gain.

Could I be retaining water with AF (TOM) due the next few days? Any ladies do this???

I am hoping to figure out if I have went wrong somewhere or if my body is in a cyclic funk.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 16:02
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/242/125 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Af definately adds some weight / inches around the TOM. it's natural. In fact, since i got pms-e i've 'gained' a lb just cause its that TOM.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 16:13

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I know one thing that could make a difference is if different people are doing your measurements. I often had the same person doing my measurements when I was going to the gym, but someone else could come along behind her and end up with totally different measurements. It has more to do with measuring in the exact same place each time than it does the people measuring.

Just a thought. Hey...4 lbs is great!!! That's almost a bag of sugar you aren't carrying around anymore

L
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-05, 16:48

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

It's also possible that you've gained muscle and are retaining water needed to heal your muscles after working out. Don't stress.

4 pounds is awesome!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 04:35
Registered Member

Plan: no specific
Stats: 202/186/126 Female 5ft 8
BF:
Progress: 21%

you drank 3 or 4 gallons of water a day? or like 3 quatres
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 07:48

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Dreamseeds, I think that you may be stressing out needlessly. TOM is the worse time to take measurements or weigh. You are fortunate that you lost weight as you gained inches. In all actuality, when you drink lotsa water, you will retain some of it especially when "he" visits. The abdomen is the chief area where water retention is most notable. Exercise will also cause retention because the new muscle growth needing fluid.

Try reducing your water consumption for a day or two and see what happens.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 12:56

Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%

Thank you everyone....
Gracej yes 3 quarts or three quarters of a gallon is what I was trying to say I think that is 3 quarts, right? lol
The scale is down this am so that made me smile...I just was hoping for smaller body parts this month.

I will cut back on aqua and see how that does, altho the past couple days I have been so thiirsty....and not sodium because I have not salted anything..... Will keep ya'll posted
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 19:31

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

4 pounds is awesome - don't worry, your body will go down in inches. You're working so hard and it seems so unfair not to get instant gratification but that's just the way it is sometimes, especially with monthly cycles.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 19:37

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

Don't cut down on the water !! Water is so important to flushing out the weight !!
Tom can really mess your scale weight up a lot. I had gotten down to a new low and the next day started to go up again and did that for four days, I was ready to scream. I was doing everything right so why was I gaining weight ? Well, I had lost track of time and it was my tom. As soon as I started I went right back down today to the low weight from a few days ago. I was also very bloated and noticed today that my stomach was much smaller.
Just hang in there, and keep up the water and eating well and the excercise. It will come around for you, it is just going to take some patience on your end !! Just do not give up, and please keep drinking the water, it is important !!!! Stephie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 17:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Drinking a ton of water during the day before your weigh-in can definitely make a difference.

Last year my physical was scheduled for 3:00 in the afternoon. I was drinking water that day like it was going out of style. I weighed myself that morning, and I was 152. By the time I got weighed at the doctor's office, I weighed 162 -- yes, 10 pounds more than I did at home.

Now before you say the scales are different, I went right home and weighed myself on my own scale. 162. 10 pounds more than in the morning.

Also, my belly was somewhat distended from drinking all the water.

I'm in the minority, but I don't believe you necessarily need to drink gallons of water a day. If it doesn't bother you and you like it, go for it. When I drink that much, I end up bloating and feeling lousy.

Don't worry. You're doing great!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeds
Thank you everyone....
Gracej yes 3 quarts or three quarters of a gallon is what I was trying to say I think that is 3 quarts, right? lol
The scale is down this am so that made me smile...I just was hoping for smaller body parts this month.

I will cut back on aqua and see how that does, altho the past couple days I have been so thiirsty....and not sodium because I have not salted anything..... Will keep ya'll posted

Oh please don't do this
That's so silly. Even if we assume water is bloating you out, so what? Its just water! Worrying about a bit of gain from food is understandable because with food you don't know where it will stop. But with water, come on, no one is going to drink so much that they stop losing weight or become obese from water weight (assuming they haveno health problems anyway).

Water is good for you, and letting yourself go thirsty and doing weird things with your electrolytes just for a scale isn't.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 17:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Bawdy, I agree wholeheartedly with you about the water.When I drink tons of water, I am so uncomfortable. I begin retaining water. When I cut down then it washes outta my body and my weight goes down. Essential fluids come in many forms including the fluids from veggies. I no longer drink gallons of water.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 02:38

BF:

Thanks for the confirmation, Black. We're definitely in the minority around here regarding the whole water thing.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 01:56

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Thanks for the confirmation, Black. We're definitely in the minority around here regarding the whole water thing.

You know, I used to think that the origin of having to at least drink a minimum 8 glasses of water per day was derived from a solid scientific foundation. This isn't the case from what I've read.

So, these days, I just drink when I'm thirsty. I don't necessarily subsribe to the theory that if I'm thirsty, then I'm already dehydrated.

Per the OP's question, you do have a higher propensity for water retention when starting a new workout regimen. Especially if you're new to working out, you will experience the "newbie" phenomenon where you both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time.

However, if after working out for an entire month, if you haven't lost inches, then you should rexamine either your workout routine or the methodology of your measuring process.

Best of luck!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 04:01

BF:

Gosh, there's THREE of us who don't believe the 64 ounces of water per day? Still a minority, but that's more than I thought there was.

But, I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of water intake.

Dreamseeds, I agree with Frederick that you do retain fluid when starting a new exercise routine, especially if it's a lot more strenuous than you are accustomed to. When I did Body for Life, I ended my 12-week challenge at the same weight I started, but I was much stronger and much leaner.

Hang in there. Don't change anything yet. Give it a bit more time and then, if nothing changes, start re-examining things.