Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151.2/135 Female 67 inches
BF:36%/17%/12%
Progress: 68%
Exclamation Weight Loss vs Fat Loss

Do not get upset if the scale doesn't move! I've only lost 10 lbs in the past 3 months, but my body fat percentage went from 36% (considered unhealthy) to 17% (below average). I went from a size 12/13 to a size 6. I must say, I'm looking pretty good. I am trying to figure out how much fat weight I lost, and how much muscle weight I gained. Anyone know how to calculate that?

I think Atkins really gives you the advantage when it comes to keeping muscle and loosing yucky jiggly fat. Hey isn't what we're trying to do "loose size", not just "loose weight"? Who cares what that scale says.

Here are my inch losses:
Neck: .5
Upper Arm: 1.75
Forearm: .75
Chest: 2
Waist: 3
Hip: 1.5
Thigh: 1.25
Calf: 1

I feel great!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

That's fantastic!
My husband has commented many times on how defined my muscles look now, and how I haven't lost anything but fat. The scales are the same as they were a month ago...but the pants are looser. A better tradeoff!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 13:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/228.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

I have found the same to be true. I have lost 26 pounds which is wonderful but I have lost a whopping 6" from my waist and gone down 2 pants sizes!!
I lost:
1" chest
6" waist
3.5" hips
3" thighs
2" calfs
2" upper arm
3" forearm
Inches as well as pounds add up. I am starting to really see a difference and people are starting to notice too!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 16:09

Stats: 233/220/150 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default thanks for the inches Vs. pounds

I used a keto -stick and am in full ketosis but havent lost a pound for a week or so. But my clothes are falling off. Also I have been eating hardly anything. Im just not hungry. If I dont eat will it stall my weight loss? Thanks , Dunka
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 17:06

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here's the formulas I use. NOTE: These only work for men...So, they probably won't be of much use. I have them all preprogrammed into a spreasheet. I just punch in my weight and waistline each week and it tells me what my fat weight and lean weight are; how much weight, fat weight, and lean weight I've gained/lost since last week and since starting; what my average weekly wt/fat/lean gain/loss is; what my body fat percentage is; an estimate of what my BMR is; who many Calories minus those burned in exercise I'd have had to have taken in for the Calorie theory to be correct; and what my weight and waistline would be at various body fat percentages assuming no change in lean weight.

lean = ((wt*1.082)+94.42)-(waist*4.15)
fat = wt - lean
adjusted weight = wt-(lean-(iw*0.85))
bf% = (fat/wt)*100
true ideal weight = lean/(1-(ideal bf%/100))
bmr = (wt-(iw*(1-(ideal bf%/100)))+wt)*10
kcal = bmr+(((Δfat*9*454)+(Δlean*4*454))/7)
waist [at a given wt] = (lean-94.42-(wt*1.082))/-4.15
weight [at a given bf%] = lean/(1-(bf%/100))

wt = weight
iw = ideal weight according to the height-weight charts

In fact, I actually have draw graphs of each of these...So, I don't even have to look at the numbers themselves, just the graph.

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, Oct-17-03 at 17:14.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am SO happy to find this thread! I felt like I'd lost weight, but when I weighed myself, the loss was very minimal, so I threw away my scale! Recently I got to the point where I was convinced I was actually GAINING weight, because my hips started to look so big! It wasn't that I've gained weight there, it's that I've lost everywhere else! I kept having to remind myself that I wasn't able to wear certain clothes a few months ago that are comfortable now. My friend finally convinced me to buy a tape measure, so I would stop driving myself crazy. Now I have PROOF that I'm losing (or reshaping). What a relief to hear it's NOT JUST ME!

Last edited by Mabel : Mon, Oct-20-03 at 12:36.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 13:37

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

My dr told me to throw out the damn scale and go by measurements and how your clothes fit!!

She told me muscle weighs 4X more than fat!!! I knew it was more but I didn't realize how much more!

Your doing great!!
Natascha
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 16:59

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Woah, 4 times more??? That's astounding! Like you, I knew it weighed more, but had no idea just how much!

I'm noticing the very same kind of thing. I haven't dropped a pound in a week now, but my clothes are getting looser. I wore a nightgown last night that used to be quite tight around the middle. It's no longer tight. I noticed today that one of my pet peeve fat deposits no longer completely fills my hand!

However, I do want to see those scales go down, ever so slightly (and I'm sure they will), because at my weight I need to be doing a little more than just converting everything to muscle!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:12

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

"but my body fat percentage went from 36% (considered unhealthy) to 17% (below average)."

How did you calculate your BMI? The online calculators all seem to use just height and weight. Do you have another method? I sure don't feel (or look!) like I have as much fat as my current BMI indicates.

Thanks,
Barb
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:13

Stats: 195/187/130 Female 64 inches
BF:36.7
Progress: 12%

I absolutely must agree! I've only lost about 7 lbs in 2 1/2 months, but talk about losing inches!

Chest - 2"
Waist - 4"
Hips - 4"
Thighs - 2" each

And I'm finally getting comments from random people on how good I look! My advice - THROW OUT THE SCALE!!!

Thanks for the post - great to see others in the same boat!

NovaMusic9