Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 19:51

Plan: Dr Atkins'
Stats: 205/180/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Talking McDonald, ice cream, candy and chocolat

I have completed my first week with Atkins my kitosis has been from trace to small in the day and from moderate to large in the evenings. As I understand it I can now add 5 to 8 grams of carb. in my daily intake. Now I am starting to figure out this new "diet"

I had 2 eggs and pastramy for breakfast and a multi vitamin.

For lunch, I brought my kids to McDonald. There, I took that new ceasar salad they have (I only put one third of the dressing because it said something like 17 carb.) and didn't use the lemon. (it was very good)

I went to a health food store where I found some chocolat bars containing only 1 carb. so I had two of those. (the first bite tasted funny but after, it was OK)

I always liked candy, so I found out that some small breath mints only have 0.13 carb so I had some of those.

For supper, I had a homemade vegetable soup (brocoli, colliflower, celery, wheat brand and ginger root) to which I added many shrimps. (that was delicious)

As for icecream, well I took some 35% cream, whipped it added two sugar twin packs and 2 rasberries (for taste). I put that in the freezer, well that was close enough to icecream for me.

And if I am hungry tonight, I will have some BBQ flavoured chicken wings. (my all time favorite)

So now I need one of you experts on Atkins diet to tell me if I am doing it fine because as far as I am concerned I can live with that diet for a long long time. (my only reference is Dr Atkins diet 1973 edition).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 20:07

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

To be totally honest and frank with you......

You should be getting the bulk of your carbohydrates from veggies and salads....NOT candy, and ice cream.

The Atkin's plan is a total change of eating habits. The ones that led us to being overwieght in the first place. The eating of candy and ice cream and well....junk foods

In order to lose the weight and control it, one must change their eating habits. Eating healthy. Eating fresh meats, salads and fresh vegetables. It doesn't mean substituting bad carbs for good ones. It means cutting the bad ones completely out for the most part.

The fresh fruit and home made whipped cream with artifical sweeteners is fine once in a while....but I wouldn't advise to make a habit of it.

The problem is with the insulin. Some of us have become so sensitive to "sweet' that our bodies go on auto pilot when we taste sweet we release insulin. Even if it is a false sweet. Insulin in the blood stream prevents us from burning fat for fuel. So if you are going to endulge in the sweet stuff, only do it once in a while....not several times a day. This is what got us into problems in the first place.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 06:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Agonycat has given you some great advice.

A little to add to it..watch out for hidden carbs. I bet those chocolates have way more than the 1 carb advertised on the label.

BBQ chicken..unless you made the BBQ sauce yourself, it likely is loaded with sugar.

For induction, you should stick to only the foods on the induction list. That will give you the maximum effect of induction. It's rough, but it's designed to detoxify your body, and get you on the right track.

...and don't think just because you slipped up yesterday (even though you were well intentioned) that you need to start induction over. Just make healthier choices from now on.

It looks like you are really getting into this, because you are thinking about what you are doing, reading labels and making choices. We all goofed up along the way when we started. Asking questions is a good thing to do.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 17:15

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%
Default Check out the site

Check out www.AtkinsCeter.com there is a ton of information on there, and then get the newest Atkins book and read that.
In my opinion, it's best to skip the artificial sweetener altogether, at least for the first 2 weeks. Try eating things like steak and chicken, eggs, a little bit of cheeze (not too much), there is a list of the foods you can eat on the atkins site, and it also tells you how much veggies you can eat each day. Good luck
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-03-02, 20:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 358/296/160
BF:
Progress: 31%

I agree with everyone, you really need to stop those bad habbits. Otherwise, food is still controlling you. Cravings and what not don't just come from an abundance of carbs, they can come from the mere thought, let alone a taste of something that is sweet and legal.

Remember, Induction is 2 weeks, not just one week.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 01:02

Plan: Atkins-Gastric Bypass
Stats: 285/178/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 79%

I have followed induction for over 7 weeks. Let me save you some wasted time.

First, make sure you have a journal and you use it. Make sure you accurately count your carbs. I agree with those before me. We all know who have been doing this for a while, of the pitfalls.

One big pitfall is underestimating our carbs.

Another is not drinking enough water. 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 lbs overweight. I can't stress this enough. Both these things, when not watched will stop my weight loss in its tract. It will even cause me to gain water weight as well.

I personally, am finding that I have to give up the whipped topping And I love it sooooo. But, I want this to work a lot more than I love a little whipped topping.

Have fun with this, it is a ride.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-04-02, 07:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 166/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, I'm pretty new here myself. I have been on Atkins 9 or 10 days, and everyone here told me to lose the Atkins Avantage bars too. I know that when I did that and stopped drinking Diet Rite, I finally got the Ketostix to turn pink. I've only lost one pound so far but I feel great - loaded with energy.