Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 23:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/223/180
BF:
Progress:
Talking Eating Eggs Good for Atkins Diet?

I am feeling kind of scared of eating eggs everyday because of it's cholesterol. Someone told me on a low-carb diet, the cholesterol isn't absorbed by the body. Is that true? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 01:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cholesterol is used for repairs and other functions in your body. If you are not eating enough fat, your body creates its own and stores it so it will have a handy supply. This is what you don't want to have happen.

You will find this very interesting:

My cholesterol came down by eating more fat!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 04:15

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up

I can understand where you are coming from with all the hype there is.

Eating cholesterol is not a bad thing, making your own from carbohydrates is less good. I read somewhere on this site that one plan recommends you should limit yourself to a maximum of 3 eggs a day. In general there is not a problem with eggs, so if you like them, eat them.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:08

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Cap...

Don't worry about dietary cholesterol (at least if you are following a low carb way of eating). If you don't take in dietary cholesterol, your liver produces it's own and it's usually the bad LDL kind. It's now been shown that at least 80% of your body's cholesterol is produced by your own body, not by what you eat and that eating eggs does not raise your blood cholesterol. So enjoy those eggs without guilt!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 19:50

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

Capkirk, let me go one stage further than Lisa, for the vast majority of people cholesterol is never a problem, to read of some of the distorted science that went into trying to make us drug dependendent on statins and the like read this web page, and preferably buy the book it makes a great read.

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm