Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 01:43

Plan: Atkins (sort of)
Stats: 160/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:? have no idea but
Progress:
Unhappy weight loss in general

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] I started the Atkins diet in August (I think) and have had mild success with it. I started out at 160 pounds and am now down to 150 including losing several inches around my waist, thighs and legs. I have definitely noticed a difference in the way my jeans fit however, they are still fairly snug in the waist. Obviously, I am doing something right but my question is this: Why am I not actually losing pounds anymore? I seem to hit 150 and it's like hitting a wall. I can't seem to lose pounds anymore. To be honest, I have slacked off a lot the last couple of weeks and have added back quite a few more carbs than before. Any help? Also, what does everyone do when you crave sweets? I don't very often but when I do...look out! Thanks...in advance...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 03:59
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I think you have, in part, answered your own question. Slacking off will affect your weight loss.

However, just a couple of other things: First, I either lose pounds or inches, but not both at the same time. That is why I am such a believer in the tape measure and I am glad you have been measuring! Second, I found that I would stay and stay at a weight that I had been at in the past for a long time. For example-I was at 131 for a couple of years and when I hit 131 this time-I felt stuck there. Eventually, the scale moved without me doing anything special. Third, as you get closer to your goal weight-you weight loss will slow down. Unavoidable. Since you have relatively little to lose-you will have to exercise some patience. It took me darn near a year to get rid of 40 pounds-but that is OK. They are gone and I hope they never return.

When I get sweets cravings I do a couple of things. I eat some fat and protein which helps. If I am craving due to PMS I make a cream cheese thing. I take a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese, some splenda, creamer and sometimes unsweetened cocoa. Microwave it for 7-8 seconds and stir. Low carb cheesecake!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 05:14

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

txturtle

Can you post a few of your daily menu's? You may be eating hidden carbs.

Paleoanth is so right! With the last 15lbs to lose you may feel stuck for awhile. Increasing your workouts with help a little with getting over this hump. Are you drinking enough water? Are you consuming 70% fat 25% protein and 5% carbs? Our bodies have a mind of their own and when your body is ready it will starting losing again. Just stick with it and try not to get discouraged. It could take 2 weeks or 2 months but don't give up!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/157/135 Female 5foot7inches
BF:bit to much
Progress: 21%

Hi all, just coming out of a 4 week stall, I agree it does feel like I hit a wall and no matter what i did the scale wouldnt budge, but I realized that when I hit the stall is where I weighed for several years and I think my body was trying to say hey wait a minute we did it, let it go ya know. I kept at it and yesterday I weighed (something I do at least 3 times a day bad bad bad) and had lost 4 pounds. Today down another. I'm so glad that its over I was getting very discouraged because my hubby started lc'ing and lost 15 pounds by just cutting back not even to induction rate.
I also measured today and I have lost a total of 25.5 inches off of my body, that really puts things into perspective for me versus 17 lbs. I was so excited last month that I had so many pairs of jeans that fit now but I have went back and tried on some of my older nice clothes and they look very saggy and sloppy, Hell you can't win them all right. Haha, I dont really want to go shpping yet cause I still have about 20 more lbs to go.
Sorry this is so long, It just feels so great to finally see some more progress. Keep at it everyone. Our bodies are strong, but my will is stronger.
Take care
Kara
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

..and remember, when you get smaller, it takes more activity to burn the same amount of calories by virtue of it taking more energy to move a bigger body. I added walking to my day when I lost my physically active job, but didn't add enough to make up for it, let alone that I actually needed MORE...and couldn't figure out what was wrong.