Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Dieters cut carbs, boost crankiness"

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Dieters cut carbs, boost crankiness

The Daily Grind, John Eckberg

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/20...ilygrind23.html

If she's heard it once in the last six months, she's heard it 20 times:

A boss, manager or co-worker decides it's time to lose a few pounds. America is obese. Extra weight is a killer.

So the would-be dieter turns to the Atkins low-carbohydrate regime for a couple of weeks to shed the pounds.

They nibble on lunchmeat for breakfast, an egg with a leafy salad for lunch and maybe a nice piece of grilled fish for dinner.

No bread. No cereal. No oatmeal - what a drag. No fresh fruits like apples and oranges, both high in carbs. Only a few vegetables.

At lunch no crackers, no rice and no potatoes. For sure no sweets - what, no powered sugar donettes, no Lil Debbies? Inconceivable.

But here's the good news: all the bacon and cheese you can stomach.

People on this strict diet will surely lose pounds, says Lauren Niemes, executive director of the Nutrition Council of Greater Cincinnati, a nonprofit agency that promotes the health of Tristate residents through better nutrition and physical activity.

And the weight does go away at a rapid pace for the first two weeks.

But it comes with a price, she says, particularly for everybody else in the workplace.

It may bring lost weight for the person on the Atkins diet, but it also means cranky mornings and crabby afternoons on the factory floor or in the office for everybody else.

"We do this Lunch and Learn program," Niemes says. "It's called 'Clearing up the Carb Confusion' and I'm telling you it's the hottest topic we've ever done.

"I was up at International Paper last week and two women came up to me afterward. They said they had to ask their boss to go off the Atkins diet because he was so difficult to work with. We hear that anecdotally all the time."

To understand why people get cranky, one must first take a look at how the body creates fuel.

The problem, Niemes says, is that people don't understand how the body metabolizes carbohydrates - how the brain needs glucose derived from carbs to function properly

The brain will burn through a minimum of 130 grams of carbohydrates every day but the Atkins diet in the early induction phase limits carbohydrates to just 20 grams per day.

Without the carbs, glucose production hits the skids and so does fuel for the brain.

As a result, the body will manufacture glucose from protein or, instead, burn ketone bodies, which are created when the body burns fat without the presence of carbohydrates.

In the meantime, blood sugar dips, the same way it dips in the morning after a night of sleep and fasting, and so the body must use glucose stores in the liver.

"We know when people have low blood sugar, the first symptom is irritability," Niemes says. "Lots of studies show that when people don't eat breakfast, they don't perform as well on mental tests."

And while it's tough to create a study on crankiness - after all, isn't being cranky part of the job description for a boss - the Atkins diet has not helped with workplace relations.

"People need to know that carbs are not the root of all evil," Niemes says.

E-mail jeckberg~enquirer.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:45

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Let the testimonials begin!

Ok, so let's all start posting our testimonials to how non-cranky we are since we started low-carbing.

And if we didn't have a way for our brains to get whatever it is they really need, we'd all be dying on low-carb, so give me a break Ms. Niemes. I've never been happier, healthier or more emtionally stable than I am today on low-carb.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:45
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

actually I used to have hypoglycemia when I would eat foods high in carbs and then crash. Talk about mood swings. Now my blood sugar is stable all the time at around 80 or so.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This is the weirdest myth of low carb eating. Sure, maybe during the first couple of weeks you don't feel good and might be cranky, but other than that, I'm about the same as I ever was.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:06
Registered Member

BF:

It is cranks like the interview subjects of that article that make me the crankiest.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:42

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quitting smoking is well known for making you extremely cranky. So according to this logic, smokers should continue and even increase their smoking in order to keep their moods even ?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:47

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Of course, rather than tolerate cranky workers, stuff 'em up with carbs at lunch and they'll doze all afternoon.

I did that for years.

Sheesh.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:52
Registered Member

BF:

I used to start dozing off about 2:30 - 3:00 PM every day at work. That sleepiness could have easily gotten me fired.

Also, I had to wear a jacket (even in summer) because I was freezing all the time.

But in the 1 1/2 years on Atkins, never, not even once, have I been sleepy in the PM - nor cold.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 11:58

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Quitting smoking is well known for making you extremely cranky. So according to this logic, smokers should continue and even increase their smoking in order to keep their moods even ?

Ha ha, good one Angeline. Personally, the only thing that makes me cranky is when people who don't have a clue insist on badmouthing low carb diets.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 14:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's not unusual to be a little crabby and out of sorts for up to the first week (for the majority of people it passes within 4-5 days) while they are going through carb and possibly caffeine withdrawal. But...that period of time is not the entire diet! I know from personal experience, I was far harder to live with when my blood sugars were all over the place than I am now.
When an addict is detoxing, they are invariably crabby and those around them will definitely have to suffer through it with them. But...I don't hear too many people using that as a rationale for addicts to stay addicted.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:00

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
I used to start dozing off about 2:30 - 3:00 PM every day at work. That sleepiness could have easily gotten me fired.

... on Atkins, never, not even once, have I been sleepy in the PM ....

This is my experience too. The thing that always brings me back to LC after a lapse, is the prospect of staying awake all day. Even if I can manage to stay awake after eating carby food, I'm unable to pay attention to what's going on around me.

I don't remember any other time in my life when I've been so alert. I wonder what I would have accomplished in school and in life if I'd found this earlier.

As for crankiness, I don't think this describes me. I do know, though, that all my relationships have improved from my new attention span and ability to listen to what people are telling me.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 05:44

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I think it's normal to feel some "crankiness" when you're on a diet, any kind of diet. I know I'm losing weight when I have a slightly uncomfortable feeling. That's when your body is grumbling and whining as it dips into your fat reserve around your butt to use it That's how Oprah describes it and I totally agree with her. I don't think being cranky is unique to lowcarbing. If you feel that way, you should read Dr Schwarzbein's book, where she explains very well how carbs actually contribute to the crazy cycle of serotonin (the brain chemical that makes you feel good) going up and crashing down all the time, which can be the cause of people getting cranky and depressed and needing more carbs for a quick "fix".

Serre
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:32

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

For me, low carbing led to an increase in my already abundant good mood.

And getting to a smaller pant size makes me grin all the time.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 13:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

I admit to being terribly cranky the 1st 2-3 days of induction, but since then I have found that not dealing with blood sugar swings also prevents mood swings.

To suggest that a low carb diet causes drops in blood sugar that cause crankiness and diminished mental capacity is assinine.

My 2 cents,

Last edited by ttc#2 : Tue, May-25-04 at 13:54.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 14:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Granted, I am not on the Atkins plan, but from what I understand induction for SBD is very similar to Atkins. I think it's very important to understand that all bodies are different and those different bodies respond differently to the foods they eat.

I could only do SBD induction for 6 days. In that time I lost 12 pounds (totally unhealthy), became weak, dizzy, light-headed, and faint. I experienced extreme fatique and lethargy. I was losing my ability to concentrate on anything going on at work or at home - I just wanted to sleep! No one told me I was cranky, but it might be because I was so totally spaced out most of the time!

After 6 days I knew I had to change things, and went off of induction and went into phase 2 where I could start incorporating carbs back into my diet. It took about 24 hours, but with just the addition of a few carbs (oatmeal and fruite), I felt stronger, less tired, and felt alert. Within 48 hours I was back to normal - and I've lost a total of 17 pounds in 3 weeks, so it's working for me.

I know some people can stay in these induction periods or phases for weeks and sometimes months and not feel any adverse effects. That's great, and if it works for them then I'm happy for them. But I think it's important to realize that induction might not be something that some people can tolerate for long periods of time. (And a long period of time is subjective, for me it was less than a week)

Interesting article, but I do think it unfair to state the diet as a whole makes one cranky. In the beginning, maybe. But people can be cranky over many changes in their lives. To blame low carb is truly unfair.