Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 17:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 326/274/175 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default I don't even like pizza, but it is in the house tonight

and I am "dying" to have some.....

Isn't it strange how someone ( me ) can crave something that I don't even like all that much?

Maybe it is the smell of the baked dough, as I do love fresh bread. I wouldn't really care if I never had a bite of pizza in my life, yet tonight, I really want to go nuts on the one that is in my kitchen right now..... and, LOL, it isn't even good pizza; it is just one from Walmart...... take and bake.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pizza is delicious to me, so I take a base of a chopped small tomato, add pizza sauce, pepperoni, sometime crispy bacon, green peppers (if I have them) and some cheese and eat it all out of a bowl.

There is no reason you can't eat the toppings and leave the base behind ... all the taste and none of the carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 18:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroxx
Pizza is delicious to me, so I take a base of a chopped small tomato, add pizza sauce, pepperoni, sometime crispy bacon, green peppers (if I have them) and some cheese and eat it all out of a bowl.

There is no reason you can't eat the toppings and leave the base behind ... all the taste and none of the carbs.

Except, that I am pretty sure what I am craving is the bread....

See, I make portabella mushroom "pizza" often.... the mushroom is the "crust".... so it must be the bread that is driving me crazy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 18:56

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

can you make one of the "microwave in a minute" lowcarb breads to tide you over? (and slide the toppings onto it, LOL)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-12-13, 22:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Oh, I hear you. I have absolutely NO craving for pizza. I eat pizza maybe once a year, because a group wants to meet at the pizza place. Fine and dandy, and I will enjoy it. But I wouldn't go there without that incentive. DH doesn't eat cheese, so it isn't a big draw. But bread? Oh yes, good bread is definitely a problem for me - though if it isn't good bread I am better able to resist.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 01:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Proof that carbs are addictive! Break free, its wonderful lol

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 09:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fortunately, I've been "bread" free for long enough that it doesn't even tempt me now.

I wonder if a microwave cracker would satisfy your craving? You can use almost any low carb flour substitute. I think the best ones are made with flax and lupin flour. I mix together 1-2 Tbl of each flour. Then I add salt (lots, because crackers are salty) and other spices.

My favorite version is the Cajun cracker:

onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper.

Mix well together. Add enough water to make a paste. Spread the paste on a microwavable surface. Microwave for 1-1.5 minutes, then nuke in 30 sec increments until crunchy.

I use a silicon baking sheet (like Silipat). Not sure if sticking would be an issue or not.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 10:29

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Don't even talk to me about bread. I think it is the most addictive substance ever known in the history of the world. Do not under any circumstances give in and nibble on a bit of that pizza crust. You'll just be dragging your torment out longer. Only complete elimination of this terrible drug can free you from it's clutches. I was stupid enough to have a little bite of French bread after years bread-free and not missing it. Sent me right back to craving immediately. Had to detox all over again. Don't do that to yourself!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 11:54

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hey all!!

Reading this about pizza....mmmmm....I do love it too, but refuse to cave to that demon!

I saw the recipe for the cauliflower crust and since I'm procrastinating doing my business plan for 2014 (UGH!!!) I thought I would waste a bit more time making it.

WOW!! It turned out super wonderful. I topped it with a tablespoon of this red pepper / artichoke stuff (think bruschetta) and a bit of red pepper!! Yummy...yummy and a terrific substitute for the carb and calorie laden regular stuff!!

I made the crust thin and in 9 pieces, it works out to 2 carbs per slice and add 1 for the topping I used. (breakdown according to MFP for a double recipe...2 C cauliflower, riced, 2 eggs, 2 C mozzarella cheese and some spices. I used garlic, fennel seeds, basil and oregano)

We do pizza on Fridays a lot, so guess what the guys are having tonight while I enjoy a couple slices of mine!!

Happy LC day -
Deanna
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 12:07

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

There is a long thread in recipes for a "Deep Dish Pizza" that is WONDERFUL! My son who does not do low carb loves it. It has to be one of the longest threads here. And its not a cauliflower base.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 12:10

Plan: Atkins Indunction (DANDR)
Stats: 205/202/130 Female 5'2 or 62''
BF:42%/???/28%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaK
I saw the recipe for the cauliflower crust and since I'm procrastinating doing my business plan for 2014 (UGH!!!) I thought I would waste a bit more time making it.

WOW!! It turned out super wonderful. I topped it with a tablespoon of this red pepper / artichoke stuff (think bruschetta) and a bit of red pepper!! Yummy...yummy and a terrific substitute for the carb and calorie laden regular stuff!!

Oh I love pizza too!! But this cauliflower pizza is to die for!!!( I found the recipe on this forum) I swear I've been craving veggies for years but didn't realize it.... I just kept stuffing in the bread thinking I liked it. Since I've made the cauliflower "crust" I don't crave bread at all!!

And Im with Whofan!! Don't even have that nibble!! It is TRULEY EVIL!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 13:29

BF:

Nancy, that sounds pretty good!

Deanna, I just 10 minutes ago bought 2 heads of cauliflower, which I do like a lot.

I will look for the Deep Dish Pizza recipe, not so much for me, as pizza isn't really my thing, but it could be a nice change of pace, and maybe the whole family will enjoy it.

I had "low carb" pizza in Chicago, at a place called Lou Malnati's..... The crust was really sausage. I'm not sure it was truly low carb.... lots of roasted onions, and the sauce seemed rather sweet, but better than eating the bread!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 15:23

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Papa...it was so easy to make too!! I shredded/chopped finely the whole head and will make more to keep in the freezer. I'm thinking I've found a replacement for a lot of things. (bread, crackers and the like)

I don't necessarily crave those things, but it sure is nice to have something so satisfyingly good...and best of all, it's good for you too!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-13, 23:20
Registered Member

Stats: 310/305/210 Male 185cm
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroxx

Just curious what you mean by pizza sauce. Is that tomato paste or an actual sauce that's low carb?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-13, 12:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
Just curious what you mean by pizza sauce. Is that tomato paste or an actual sauce that's low carb?

You can buy it in a jar..... basically it is marinara sauce, but the one I tried was a bit thinner in consistency. Watch the sugars, though.