Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%
Unhappy Need some help!

Hi everyone

I am having a very hard time with induction, I keep eating stuff I am not supposed to =( Is the atkins induction the only plan? What plans do you all recommend where at least after induction I can eat some carbs? And are they as effective? I know Atkins you can slowly add 5 carbs at a time after induction, but I really miss BREAD lol...any suggestions for something new I can try/eat so I wont go completely overboard? I know I have rambled but I hope you all understood!!! =)

Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!!
*hugs*
Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:06

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Amy,

Members here have compiled a table of diet plans, which have all been analysed in the same format so it is easy to compare. It sounds like you might need the CAD diet (Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet) which is one of the ones surveyed. This plan allows carbs to be eaten during just one hour every day.

The place to look for this diet comparison table is on the right of this screen, where it says "Quick links". The top heading is the one you want: "Which low-carb plan is right for you?". Just click on that, and you will be taken to our table of results.

Hope you find this helps.

Andy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 14:56

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Amy!

Sorry you're frustrated. I was on CAD for a time (The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet), and it allows NO carbs for two meals, but a 60-minute "reward meal" where you have 1/3 carbs with 1/3 protein and 1/3 vegetable. Also, a small salad before the meal. You have to keep all your stuff at 1/3. If you get seconds, you have to get seconds of all (protein, carbs, vegi) so you keep the 1/3 rate. And you can't forget the salad at the beginning.

Careful, though - you can eat a LOT in 60 minutes if you're really addicted to those carbs, and totally derail yourself. I did, which is why I'm on Atkins this time.

One thing to consider is that you REALLY like bread - in the back of the Atkins book, there is a recipe for bread that is low carb, and it's pretty good! Also, check out the recipes section for good sweet-tasting recipes without the carbs. I have to be careful with that type of stuff, too, since artificial sweeteners still trigger an insulin response, but at least that helps with feeling like you're not being denied.

And, really liking bread (to the point it sounds) might actually be a hint that you could have a sensitivity to the very things you're craving. Does the stuff give you a rush when you eat it, but then you feel down later?

Anyway, hope this helps somewhat, though I've rambled

Sh'ra
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 15:31

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

I also started with CAD, then went to atkins...and chose to return to CAD. I can eat whatever I want, as long as it is done in the 1/3 ratio, and within one hour, which, if you think about it, is plenty of time to eat.

I think that choosing a WOE is very individual. What works for one, may not work for another. Such is the case for some addicts, that can not control there cravings once they start. I always thought that I was a huge carb addict, but have found that I am satisfied with just my 1/3rd portion. I do not feel hungry after my dinner (reward) meal. I do not feel like I need to snack at all. Thus no temptation to continue with the carbs all night. And if someone else in our house has something that I think I would like to have, all I have to do is wait until my next reward meal. It truly is the best thing since sliced bread for me. I am deprived of NOTHING.

I also like that there is no maintenance. You just continue to follow plan forever. Your body will take you to where it is comfortable. I feel like I am already on a maintenance program, because in fact I am.

I think that CAD may be a somewhat slower weight loss program than some. But that again is probably very individual. I started, and within a month, had already stalled. So I chose to try atkins. I actually gained weight on atkins, so returned to CAD, and have lost the weight I gained on it, plus I can feel another loss, however I don't know how much, because I wont be weighing until tomorrow morning.

Good luck with whatever you chose. There are many good programs out there.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 15:53

Stats: 135/128/110
BF:
Progress: 28%

Thank you for all the great suggestions...
(Feeling guilty ate a 40 carb pasta and butter mix for lunch *sigh*) BUT rather than say, well I blew the whole day and gorge on carbs, I am going to have taco salad for dinner minus the shells =)
I believe I am going to try the CAD, will have to get the book this weekend..going to try atkins for the rest of the week see if I can get more willpower..I feel like such a failure!!!
Hm with the bread..I was never big with candy or chocolate, didn't crave sweets..I crave rolls..mashed potatoes, gravy, pasta, fried food...mozzarella sticks=heaven LOL. I do know that when I was eating on the induction plan, I did feel so much better, normally I would eat my usual carb only diet and I always felt sooo icky after, tired, belly overfull, Iwould always eat more than I should because I didn't wanna waste it. Probably another reason I couldn't lose weight lol.

I am feeling a little better, still down tho..I keep thinking why did I have that for lunch? And it wasnt even that tasty, just familiar. Oh, I am back up to 130 =/ Hoping that wil change in a couple days with my regular water intake..Oh! I also noticed the last few days when eating all the carbs..it was REALLY hard to drink all my water!! So haven't been very good with that either but..tomorrow is another day, wish me luck! Will continue posting in my journel about my progress!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 16:48

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Maysariel, I don't know if this will be helpful -- it might be the opposite. I also love bread -- bread and butter, English muffins and butter, anything stuck between two slices of bread and butter. I think the bread is what is mostly responsible for being at this weight.

When I cut out bread, I miss it for a few days, but I feel so much better -- I've had chronic indigestion most of my life. On breadless days, I don't.

Try CAD, by all means -- try anything that will work for you. You're the only one who'll be able to determine what will work for you. But I think you're going to have to figure out a way to live and eat without bread -- without refined sugar and flour products, actually.

(Just my 2 cents, of course.) Good luck to you, whatever way you choose.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 01:31

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Amy,

I have to add to what Alto has said. I was a huge fan of any bakery products, popcorn, corn chips, and especially bread. It didn't have to be sweet, just starchy.

I started low-carbing with the Protein Power Plan. I got hold of a very old copy of the video/cassette set and began by eating 10 carbs a meal and 10 in snacks for 40 carbs a day. I also subtracted fibre. It may seem unbelieveable, but I lost weight steadily, about a pound every week or so. I often ate a half a piece of toast or a quarter of a bagel as a carb serving, and felt satisfied.

I also fell off the wagon a lot, but it didn't seem to be a big deal. I just climbed back on and got on track again, and I kept losing.

Now I don't lose weight on 40 carbs a day but I don't gain either. However, the amazing thing is that I no longer have any cravings for starches. EVER!!! Those cravings only return if I start eating lots of carbs. Now I can eat a bite of bread and wonder why I ever thought it tasted so good. I recently ignored a whole plate of home-made cinnamon buns and didn't care at all. This did not happen quickly, but it has happened, and what a wonderful freedom! I used to hate being controlled by cravings for those foods.

So if CAD doesn't seem to do the job, you might want to try PPP. But most of all, don't give up. All the benefits are there for you and they are worth the patience it takes to get to them.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 07:16

Stats: 197/186/125
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Amy!
I eat holland rusks (about 5 carbs each) with shrimp or tuna salad. They are more like toast than bread, but still taste pretty good.

Lori