Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 16:48

Plan: mixed-LC
Stats: 174/170/134
BF:
Progress: 10%
Angry What a Wimp

Went to a friends house last night for dinner--Still in my induction time--A wonderful meal of venison w/ creamy sauce and broccoli was on the menu----Well dinner wasn't until 9 or so. Prior to dinner out came the snacks--I'll be fine I thought, but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ate pepperoni, chedder cheese I can avoid the crackers right? Wrong!!!!!!!!!!
Drank some low carb beer ( Mich light Ultra-2 grams carb per bottle) and of course had to have dessert- Peanut Butter ice cream pie with reeses peanut butter cups on top--Oh let us not forget the whip cream. I was doing GREAT on my own, now I see that I am not ready to take my new wol public--I was so afraid some might say something if I didn't eat the way I usually do that I went over board.
Woke up this morning exhausted----Dehydrated, and felt over all lousy--I can do this, and I will have to be more careful before heading to eat at a friends. I didn't want to tell anyone I was LCing like it was some kind of dirty secret, and now I feel like a huge pig for over eating--Just needed to vent! Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 17:02
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

You are not a wimp...you learned something about yourself is all. Wipe your tears and carry on. I thought I was strong too until I was faced with the same challange. I am getting much better dealing with situations but it has taken me TIME.
Drink lots of extra water and go for a good brisk walk.
I am sorry you feel so bad. One of the downfalls of falling off the lowcarb rules is "feeling" it the next day. I hope you feel better soon.

cin
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 17:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Erika!

I think most of us have done what you did at one time or another. The important thing is to forgive yourself and get right back on track again. It sounds like you learned some important lessons from your experience.
Drink lots of water and I hope you feel better soon!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 166/162/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

You know I have a friend who has done lo carb for years. The first time she came to my house with her husband for dinner she brought a lo carb delicious dessert. She said that it was a recipe she just wanted to share with me. She was right and it was great. What a great strategy to make sure you eat the right things.

Forget about your mistake. It's over. Just plan next time to take something with you that you CAN eat and share it with your hosts. And eat a snack before you go. It really helps.

Peg
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: BFL/PP
Stats: 115/114/107
BF:32/32/25
Progress: 13%

I started a thread last week titled "I didn't feel like explaining..."
Any way I was in a similar situation. I feel like you in that I don't want to explain why I'm eating differently. especially to close friends. But really I think they may not even notice as long as we do eat something. If you read my thread there are alot of good tips with ideas on what to say without saying oh I'm on atkins Diet. Several people said they felt more comfortable saying that they no longer ate white flour or sugar. Seems like friends might respond to that a little better than Saying you are on Atkins. Any way don't worry about it any more. Just pick yourself up and continue to do your low carbing and next time it should be easire for you I hope ~ good luck to you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 20:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/265/220
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I'm PROUD of Atkins!

Erika,

I know how you feel...in the last few days I've strayed from the diet, found myself slipping, slipping, slipping back into my carbohydrate hell! I've done really great today, and I've lost 22 pounds in the last 10 weeks, so I've got quite a stake in this WOE.

I tell anybody and everybody I'm on a low-carb routine. I've never once felt like it offended anyone. I just eat what I can, and spend the rest of the time talking! ;0)

I agree with those who've said, "take something with you", but I also think it's no big deal to tell people you're watching your carb intake...I've found that many of my friends who've expressed interest in the LC way of life, have actually begun the Atkins program, and are happy with it.

Shout it from the rooftops, I say! ;-0)

Now...back to my meat and cheese casserole! ;0)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:22

BF:

CIN

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement--I did do my 6 mile walk this morning--And instead of throwing up my hands and saying, I can't do this. I fiqured I would just dig in--I have had plenty of water today ( about 140 oz's) and I am feeling better. I do so much appreciate the support on this forum.
Thanks you for taking the time to drop a note
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/145/125 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 58%
Wink dont feel too bad!

I fell off today, and Im really trying to make up in my mind that I can do this. I work nights and its hard not to head to the kitchen at work because all thats there is sweets and treats.....probably what motivated me to wish for carbs! I just have to learn to eat LC again. Dont beat yourself up too bad, because guilt is the worst. This forum really helps because although I have fallen close to the same time u did, I feel ok and know better after reading and reading and I know its not the end! Its just going to take awhile to get used to this, and not be afraid to let people know. I know what you mean.......your not going through this alone.......me too!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:25

BF:

Lisa

You are right about not beating myself up--Congrats on your success on the program. I have been drinking water by the tons. I cannot believe how dehydrated I was this am--I'm still drinking water now 14 hours after waking up. Thanks for your post---Carrying On on the LC
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:29

BF:

Peg--Thanks for the idea. I wasn't prepared mentally I think. I will look at more recipes when I am asked over to a friends, or healthier snacks. I am not general a sweets kinda person, but I had felt so bad about the other stuff I ate, I fiqured what the hell, what's dessert at this point of the game. More self control and self confidence will be in hand. We are getting together in a month again--It is like Secrets of the YaYa Club when we get together, and I would tumble!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:33

BF:

DeeRay7

Thank you!!! I think that the support of this forum is what makes me feel that I am going to be able to succeed. The encouragment is such a source of strength. I have to admit I monitored this site for a long time, before I decided to try LC and a large part of my decision was I felt that the people here, what everyone to be successful, and it is nice knowing that you are not alone. Even when you fall off the wagon. Thank You again.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:39

BF:

Craig--

Congratulations on your progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe how bad I felt after the night of feasting--Some of it was a physical bad feeling, and a lot of it was emtional.
I felt kind of funnny posting my thread, but it was almost like going to confession, and I felt a bit better. Back on track today though!!!!!!!!!!!
I truely appreciate the support! And for the understanding. I know I can do this, and the help from each of you is the best!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:43

BF:

Suzi-----You're right. read a lot on the thread, adn maybe the allergic thing I might say to strangers, but I decided to just tell my friends--I shouldn't worry about what they might say. I think I didn't give the enough credit, and I think the will be more supportive than I imagine.
I have dusted myself off,, and I am on my way again
I CAN DO THIS!!