Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 15:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/194/185
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Wine

Dumb question maybe, but how many carbs in one glass of white wine?

(i already tried on here and it talked about 100 grams of wine = .8 grams carbs.
Don't know what that means.)

olehickok - 3 weeks Atkins, down 8 lbs. going for 20 more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 16:22

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello Olehickok!

One glass of white wine (3.5 fl oz) is 1 carb according to fitday.com.

I would like to for you, for losing the 8 lbs! Good luck and stay with it!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 18:00

Stats: 210/194/185
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Wine part II and diet coke

Thanks, soo cee,

You mean i could drink 3 glasses once a week as a celebration for losing 2 lbs. and it only adds 3 grams for the day?

Also, run is 0 according to one carb counter. You mean i could have a rum and diet coke and it has NO (zero) impact on carbs??!

Thanks anyone!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile

hi there olehickok,

I've merged your post above in with this thread you started previously. Whenever you wish to reply to someone, just click on "post reply". Use "new thread" when you want to start a whole new discussion.

About wine and rum. ... Bone dry wines are very low in carbs, and distilled spirits such as rum, vodka etc are zero carbs. As such, they won't cause a rise in insulin level. There's a bit of a catch though ... Your liver will use the alcohol to make ketones instead of your fat .. since the process is much easier. So, until all the alcohol has been used up as fuel, your fat-burning will be put on hold. You'll still be in ketosis, but it'll be from the alcohol, not from fat.

It's worth noting too, that since the liver is breaking down the alcohol so quickly to make ketones .. it's also producing acetaldehyde a lot faster too .. That's the compound that's intoxicating, and many LC'ers report that they get bombed faster, and on less alcohol than before. Plus, the dehydrating effects of alcohol are more pronounced with ketosis .. so you want to make sure you stay well-hydrated when drinking. Have a glass of water in between drinks, or mix the wine with sparkling water for a spritzer.

hth,

Doreen