Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:15

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default HELP!! On Atkins 3 weeks, now show gain

What gives???? I weighed 155 on Monday and this morning I got on the scale and now weigh 157!!! No, my inches have not decreased and I am doing 20 carbs a day and drinking 64 oz. of water and I walk 3 miles a day. What is the problem???? Is this diet actually going to be bad for me or what???? HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:17
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Calm down!! Weight fluctuates on a daily basis. Two pounds overnight is not something to be concerned about. It could be TOM, water, salt, stress or just because.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:21
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Relax. Look at my link below, the one about weight roller coaster.
Check the other links too and hang on - this works!
Take care!
Alina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:29

BF:

Honestly at this point, I am ready to give up!!!! I am a carbohydrate addict and I am suffering by giving up the things I love and to not lose the weight and find that I have gained just makes me feel like I am wasting my time.

I weighed 193 about a year and a half ago and I went on Metablolean and only ate one meal a day and got down to 147. Then I quit taking it and over the holidays managed to gain back 13. I didn't want to go back on the pills because I don't want to have to take them for life, but it seems that I may have to. What do you think, maybe take them while doing Atkins??? I am beginning to get depressed!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:06
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

My weight goes up and down all the time-it is over the long term that you will see a steady downward trend. Many people refuse to weigh or only weigh every couple of weeks or so. I also have had a two pound weight gain due to increasing muscle mass, but it did go away as I continued to lose fat.

Don't stress too much about this-it is normal. Just give it another two weeks and see what happens.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:27

BF:

I did not start my walking program until I started on this diet, do you think it could be that???? I haven't lost any inches in my legs though, and they still look like Jello.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 09:45
Slothy Superhero

It could be! Just to let you know-I got on the scale this morning two pounds higher than yesterday-no way I gained two pounds over night! Muscles that are worked hold onto water to help them repair. Probably what you are seeing is water retention like me.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 256/233/200
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile it will be ok

just wondering if you are keeping a food journal? If i wre you i would just start over on a very strict induction for a week and see if you lose any that way, also are you taking any medications because i've heard they can stall you wt loss. but dont give up when u start seeing the weight loss you'll be glad you didn't give up
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 09:31

BF:

No, I have not given up yet. I am fluctuating between 154 and 156 for some reason. I have yet to fall below that. I started taking Metabolean ( took that for a year and a half and lost 47 but then stalled out and took a break from it). I take that twice a day and I have an EAS Carb Control shake for breakfast and lunch, an occasional piece or two of bacon, and i eat low carb for dinner which includes a salad. I drink about 80 oz. of water (which I have extreme trouble forcing myself to do) and I walk the 3 miles a day. This is all I can do, it is way better than I was doing before. I am just going to wait and see what the next few weeks bring. I just started the pills on Tuesday. Wish me luck!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 14:13

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 200/190/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up WEIGHT FLUX

I am so glad to read I am not the only one going through this. I have been on atkins for almost three weeks now, the first week I lost 9lbs The second week I lost 5 but when i went to weigh today I gained 4 lbs . I thought I was losing my mind. I faithfully stay between 10-15 carbs a day and exercise 5-6 days a week for 30-45 minutes so I thought my weight loss would be more drastic. I am determined to complete my goal of 150 lbs so I think with dr atkins and this forum I will get there.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 15:18
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you previously lost weight on a near starvation diet---which eating only one meal a day has to be, you probably lost some of that weight as lean muscle mass.

Now that you are treating your body well and eating plenty of protein, your body will start to rebuild it's lean muscle mass. It weighs more but you'll be smaller because it is more compact than fat.

Beth
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 14:23

BF:

Yeah, I know, but that darn scale is really beginning to hurt my feelings, and it calls me every morning and I can't resist it. What's a girl to do?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 16:42
Slothy Superhero

Do you measure yourself? I find that even on the weeks my weight goes up for whatever reason I still will lose inches somewhere. My weight is fluctuating between 135 and 137, but my waist and hips keep getting smaller. I am fitting into clothes better that I couldn't wear well just a week or so ago at the same weight.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 16:47

BF:

Yeah, I measure every Monday no real big change there, I don't know, TOM should be coming pretty soon too, maybe that's it. I am down to 154 and have been there the past couple of days, maybe one day I will get lucky and see it fall lower than that, who knows.