Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 22:38

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default American Idol/Simon/overweight??

I was wondering if anyone has any comments on the t.v. show American Idol and the host/ judge named Simon (?) telling some of the contestants about being overweight. I have never watched the show completely , but saw snippets on 'Entertainment Tonight' of what he said and some female entertainers comments about how that attitude fuels eating disorders.

One of the young female contenstants he was commenting about looked to be maybe 10-20lbs. over what a healthy BMI (body mass index) should be-- and even he admitted that she was quite talented -- but she would have a difficulty 'making' it at her weight or words to that effect. Of course show business is a different' category ' than most of us are concerned with. But I was curious about TSPers thoughts on this and *goal weights* in general that we all have.

I have liked Dr. S's between the line and in the lines thoughts on this in her books.

Personally I chose my goal weight thru studying about body mass index and hip to waist ratio type charts and calculators. I like the kind that considers age also. I have hashimoto's thyroid disease and am middle aged , so I am grateful for every lb. lost as it is quite a battle to lose (though pretty much a breeze to maintain on TSP ) I do have my goal at the lowest level of a healthy BMI ,by that I mean the most I can weigh and not be in the overweight category -- not 'slipping down the bathroom drain thin'
I think a site that explains these well is:

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

I would love having some feedback/comments/opinions on your own goals etc.from other TSPers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 16:29

Plan: South Beach Mostly
Stats: 200/191/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I'll give my opinion!

Honestly, hardly any thought was put into deciding my goal weight. My philosophy kinda is once, not if, I get to my goal weight I'll see how I feel. If I feel really healthy and that 140 is a good weight for me, then that's where I'm staying. But if I feel like I can drop a few more, then I'll try it.

Right now I'm just focusing on getting out of my stupid stall and start the weight loss cycle again.

About the American Idol thing, I don't really watch that show either, but sadly he's probably right in a respect...at least in Hollywood's opinion. Weight is an issue that is pretty warped and skewed in Hollywood. Thank God we live in a reality where size 12 may not be perfect, but it's "average".

Have a great one!
Titania
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 13:23

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default My 2-Cents

Hi and Good Morning

I have never watched any reality TV show - I believe it shows the "worst" side of human beings which can be very negative - I don't believe reality TV is the "norm" rather it is like "shock" advertising - they show the worst so they can keep their viewers by "shocking" them. However my two young adult daughters watch some of these types of programs.

I too went onto a BMI website that took into account my age as well as my height and present weight. It gave me a range from 169 lbs. - 137 lbs. I am 55, 5 ft. 9 in. and there isn't any way I will ever be 137 lbs. again but I thought 150 lbs. would be a good and achievable weight for my height and age. I was on a low-fat diet for about the last 10 years, was very unhappy with the (no) weight loss and (no) taste food, not to mention the cravings. I find TSP easy to follow and maintain and I have lost weight - it might be easier to rid myself of the last 5 lbs. if the "guys" I work with stopped bringing in treats! (Of course, I could always resist them but sometimes life is too short to do without a bit of chocolate).