Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:05

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%
Default I did it

Well I completed my first ever half-marthon today when I participated in the 2004 Kentucky Derby Festival mini-marathon. I had two goals going into this event........

1) Finish the race!
2) Finish in the allowed time (3:16.5= 15 minute mile average)

I finished the race in around 2:55(give or take a couple minutes, haven't seen official time yet). WHile not a spectacular time, I couldn't run a mile before a couple months ago! So I just wanted to gloat a little
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:08

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

OMG!! Congratulations! You must be at the top of the world right now. Way to go.

Cheers,

Friday

P.S. there are two things that make it pretty much impossible for me to run, much less a marathin - and they both say "36DD" on them. I have not yet met the sports bra that can cope with me well enough to permit running.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Woooooo!

Congratulations! Major accomplishment!

So, you thinking about doing another?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 12:31
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

WoooooHooooo!!!!!

I haven't ran much for years, but I remember how good that "second wind" or "runner's high" felt, nothing like it!!!! I"m pretty jealous, as far as that goes, but my legs at 43 just don't like running like they did when I was younger, so I just stick to walking, and I don't get the high from that.....oh well, I still get the aerobic benefits.

Again, GREAT GOING!! Keep it up.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 16:59
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Congrats to you, mrschmeltz!! You should be mighty proud of yourself!

And chiperoo, BTW, your "dream" and "reality" are moving fairly close together, I'd say.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 18:52

BF:

Appreciate it everybody As for doing another......I will probably make this an annual event I do. But other than that I might do some 5K or even 10K's, but I don't think I could do this more than once a year.

This might sound gross but next year I will remember to tape my nipples up. I had read an article about it, but didn't really take it seriously......but by races end my nipples were bleeding from the friction of running 13 miles. Very painful!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 19:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 311/299/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Congrats!!! I'm happy for you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 10:03

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations

Go for the full:-))

Time is does not matter when it is about mini/half or full Marathons. It is the FINISHING:-)

The reason, the motivation for me to start a Marathon training was NOT to see the winners, the Masters on races, but to see enthusiastic finishers:-)

Here is a quote from my gym log about this:

"When I started to run I did not have any race goal: simply wanted to fight back the first signs of aging. My dream, to be part of the Marathon magic was born one year ago, 100 yards from the start/finish line of SD Marathon.

We were sitting there with my husband, waiting for our son (he was running the full Marathon). It was 10:30 AM – 3 hours after the start of the Marathon, and 3 ˝ hours after the start of the half Marathon. The pro/master and fastest amateur Marathoners already arrived, but still hundreds of half-Marathoners were on the road. To finish this 13 miles course over 3 1/2 hours means mostly walk. No, it does not mean any less accomplishment, effort. It simply means a different way to overcome this obstacle. They arrived running, jogging, walking, limping, sweating, in solo, in couple, in family, in groups. Old, young, slim, curvy (in 4-40% BF range), healthy, ill – very diverse group, but with the same enthusiasm on their faces: “I DID IT!” Who cares about time, competition… They ALL DID IT. They all were part of the (half)Marathon magic. The spectators were enthusiastic too (as I experienced on many other races) giving a cheer, shouting encouriging words, applauding even for the ones who hardly could walk. Oh my… How much I wanted to be among them! Sweating, limping, but finishing.

That was the moment, when my dream was born: "I want to be there, among them!” I turned to my husband, pointing to the finish line I told him: “Next year I will be there.” "

mrschmelz, congratulations again, you are a great inspiration for all of us:-)

See you in Boston??
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:10

BF:

A full marathon? Wow. I am not sure I will ever get to that point I would probably have to be able to easily complete a half-marathon before even THINKING about it.

Goals for next year......under 2:30 and be at 15% bodyfat when running it. I have a whole year to train now I guess.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 06:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Ahhhh ... the fun of running. I remember (or I am still trying to forget) the fun of distance running.

Taping nipples, greasing thighs, etc. LOL. The things runners put themselves thru ...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 18:43

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Congrats! That is so awesome!