Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/345/175
BF:??????
Progress: 8%
Unhappy having hard time (NEW)

I think this will really work for me sounds great looks like i'll get lots of support here. One thing holding me up is my dear wife she thinks that atkins diet is not healthy for me she would rather me go to WW or something thats sounds a little safe. I have gave her things to read about this she's coming around a little. I TOLD HER THAT I WOULD COOK ALL MY OWN MEALS and if i should start to feel a little sick i would go back to eating carbs i plan to start on mon -28th . Shes not to happy ! doe any one elese have these problems.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Ask her

what is unhealthy about meat and vegetables? Essentially that is what you eat on Atkins. Oh sure you can make it be really "high fat" if you want, but that part isn't essential. Meat, fish, chicken, and green veggys and you should be eating as healthy as anyone could ask for.

Atkins has a bad reputation because people really don't understand. They assume it is "high fat". In reality you were probably eating MORE fat when you were having french fries and potatoe chips and baked potatoes with sour cream and butter etc. When you cut out those carbage things, you find you eat way less fat as well as fewer carbs.

You must understand that you will go through sugar withdrawal when you first start, and you may NOT feel very good for as much as a week or so after starting the diet. But after that you should start to feel fantastic. Don't quit at the first sign of "not feeling good". Your body has to switch over from producing the types of enzymes needed to process carbs to the type of enzymes needed to process protein.

Give it some time.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 370/270/160
BF:50%/36.6%/24%
Progress: 48%

Yup, been there, done that too- my hubby was OK at first then heard some idiot spouting off about Atkins on the radio about kidney damage, high cholesterol, heart disease and all that lying rubbish. He came home all upset. I told him, "Even if it WERE true, which it is NOT, what could possibly be more unhealthy than being morbidly obese?" That quieted things down. And after you start to succeed, to lose weight and to have more energy and obviously feel better, she will become an Atkins fan.

I would recommend you turn her on to the New York times article here, and also show her some of the success stories. Tell her about me- I am an RN; I have been on the Induction level for 6 months, and live on! Not to mention being able to work out regularly, feel much less arthritic pain, and, oh yeah, I "almost forgot to mention" I have lost 82 pounds!

It's your life, your choice, and your path back from the brink- it will be nice if she supports you, but do it anyway- you will never be sorry. Good luck!
Hugs,
Kat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 13:09
Registered Member

THANKS guys for the encourgement i have printed your reply's
to show my wife. I'll let you know her response I' will start monday 28th on induction .
thnx again K.P.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome KP

Wanna race to 299
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 22:56
Registered Member

Default KP one more thing

When you first start low carb you tend to lose a lot of water really fast. Carbs make your body hang on to a lot of water, so drink plenty to replace the fluids you will be losing. But also realize that you may lose potassium along with the water, I suggest you supplement potassium at first. Calcium, magnesium, potassium and a good multivitamin (one that includes most of the B complex) are good choices.

I specifically mention potassium though because the side effects from losing potassium can be uncomfortable and you don't want to worry your wife. You lose too much potassium and you can get leg cramps (charley horses) while sleeping or heart palpitations while awake. It affects your muscles and the heart is a muscle. So make sure you take some potassium pills. Most of the ones on the market are at really small amounts, which is good, because excessive potassium can be dangerous, but not enough isn't good either.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 06:24
Registered Member

Thanks sherry i have gone and bought a good multivitamin
SHARK I dont think i want to start out racing i'm always up for a challenge but not right know. Big day tomorrow DAY 1
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-27-02, 06:55
Registered Member

But KP- you can BEAT Shark! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Good luck tomorrow on starting your new way of life.
Hugs,
Kat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Default ITS TIME

Well its oct 28th and induction has started had to change my weight this morning to 360 from 355 thats what the scale told me. Last week i was 355 oh well . I think i was eating my fav carbs all last week knowing that today was coming fast. I was up an hour early this morning kind of excited i guess ? Last night i boiled 8 eggs so i could just grab a couple for breakfast . Made my lunch as well 1 can of tuna chunk of cheese looking forward to that later. The hard thing this morning was no coffee on the way to work oh well have to do what i have to do . so what do you guys think should i wait till the 2 weeks is up and then hop on the scale or maybe 1 week
K P.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-28-02, 06:58

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

The first week's loss will be a lot of water. I'd get on the scale weekly. Also, don't forget to do your measurements, they can show fat loss where the scale doesn't. Good luck with induction!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 06:11
Registered Member

Thumbs up

thnx DarkLotus still have not measured yet but i will . Funny thing yesterday (day 1 ) i was still reaching for those carbs not thinking but lucky i relized before it was i my mouth no morning coffee again . lot and lots of h2o have agreat day.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 10:01
Registered Member

Default I don't drink coffee

I never have liked it. And it is a duretic, so if you drink it you have to make sure to drink even more water, but I've known a lot of people on this diet that have NOT given up their coffee and it doesn't seem to bother them, they still lose weight.

If I were you I would weigh every day at least at first. It is exciting at the beginning to see how fast the weight starts falling off. Weigh in the morning only after potty, before food or water.

Don't get addicted to the scale or start to worry if a day or two goes by with no losses or even a little gain, but to be honest, you are going to be dropping those (mostly water) pounds so fast that seeing that scale go down on a daily basis is exciting.

I think with me I started at 282, lost 3 pounds the first day 2 the second 1.5 the third, .5 the fourth etc. Up to 13.5 pounds in a week and a half. Then (stupid me) I blew it. Got some symptoms I didn't like and upped my carb level and got out of ketosis and stopped losing.

It might have been amazing to see how far I could have gone if I had stayed at the low level I was at, but I didn't like that cold, can't get warm feeling I had.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:03
Registered Member

well i just have a glass of water when i get to work. I;m starting to get the headache everyone is talking about today i guess withdrawl is taking place but i'm hanging in. i can only weigh myself at work they have a great scale but it is in the main plant .so i will go every monday morning before i head to this plant. this headache will go away soon i hope ? Ialso feel alittle light headed is that normal ?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 19:54
Registered Member

Here's my 2 cents- I drink coffee, and live on. Your headache may be from caffeine withdrawal. Some people can drink it and stay in ketosis, some can't. I never had a headache or felt awful in early Induction,: ketosis kicked in , around 3 days, and I felt great, not hungry, and have ever since. Just my experience. Sometimes I think you get what you expect.

Hang in there- you should feel better soon. Make sure you are drinking lots of water.
Hugs,
Kat
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 07:50
Registered Member

Default :thup: DAY 3 AND COUNTING

Well i'm drinking LOTS ~LOTS ~LOTS of h2o. I took your advice and had a cup of coffee no more headache i still feel weird . I guess i'm going through alot of withdrawl . I'll hang in there can't wait till monday to hop on the scales . I still feel guilty eating fat! something all have to get use to . Thanks for all your help stick with me eh !