Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-04, 19:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/187/160 Male 5'9"
BF:More/ than I /like
Progress: 59%
Question Looking for CANADIAN Sugar Twin in USA

My girlfriend and I recently got a copy of Karen's Low Carb Gourmet cookbook, (excellent BTW) and she makes frequent reference to "Canadian Sugar Twin"

As I understand it, Canadian Sugar Twin is made with cyclamates, while the US version is made with sacharin

Unfortuneately the paternalistic ~$$#0!%$ in D.C. don't want to let us spend our dollars on cyclamates, so we can't get a decent sweetener in the US legally.

Can anyone suggest a good source where we can mail order the Canadian version of Sugar Twin made with cyclamates shipped to a US address?

Thanks,

Gooserider
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 17:28

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

saccharin was proven to give laboratory rats cancer when they were fed it in amounts equal to their body weight.

kind of...wreaks havoc on the study. don't you think?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 21:59

Nearly ANYTHING is bad for you if given in large enough quantities...

It is worth noting that ASPIRIN could not get approval under current FDA standards (which have killed far more people than have been saved by them)

OTOH, Thalidomide, (which has positive beneficial medical applications in patients OTHER than women of childbearing age BTW) cited as the FDA 'poster child' justification for our current US drug over-regulation, would probably have PASSED the initial approval tests depending on just which variety of lab rodent the tests were run on. I forget the exact details, but there was one standard critter type that had no negative impact, one that had human style birth defects, and one where it was lethal. In actual historical record, Thalidomide was pulled by it's manufacturer as soon as the problem was identified, not by any government agency.

It is worth noting that AFAIK, the cyclamate cancer studies that got it banned initially haven't been successfully duplicated, and that actual HUMAN use in most of the world for many years have not shown any significant issues in over 30 years, making cyclamates one of the oldest artificial sweeteners, and giving it one of the best records.

I'm just wondering how difficult it is, and what the best source would be, to get some of them down from Canada. I know there is getting to be a fairly heavy traffic in prescription drugs across the border, but how hard is it to get cyclamates across?

Gooserider
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 19:26

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default here's a link to a supplier

I have used this Canadian online drug store in the past to get cyclamate version of Sugar Twin. Beware, the shipping is very expensive. It is best if you can order a large quantity of the Sugar Twin so the postage per unit is cheaper.

http://www.globaldrugs.com/pharmacy/1910.htm

Make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page. "cyclamate" will be in parentheses. They are also selling aspartame, sucralose and saccharin on the same page.

FWIW, cyclamate version was really big before Splenda came out. Since Splenda came out, I think they are about the same and not worth the high postage. OTOH, there is a liquid version of the cyclamates that I remember one bottle lasted me a few months and it is only $2.33 for a bottle as opposed to the liquid sucralose that sells for about $15 a bottle.

Ed
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 22:33

Thanks for the info Ed, I appreciate it.

One of the reasons we would like to get the cyclamate version is because so many of the recipes in Karen's cookbook suggest that a combination of sucralose and cyclamates are both better tasting and lower carb than using just straight sucralose.

The other question is what we should use as a bulking agent to replace the bad stuff in the retail Splenda if we actually are able to get the liquid stuff, but that is a seperate issue.

Gooserider