Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:25

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Unhappy day 2 of no caffeine

my head is THROBBING! i cut out diet coke (i ususally have like 2-3 a day) and i need that fix or my head feels like it's going to explode any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

I had the same problem when I gave up caffeine a few years ago. I would just take some pain reliver and a nap. It will last only a few days at most then you will be glad you stopped. Just hang in there it will pass.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Man, I couldn't do it. I tried and was the biggest bi*ch on the planet and had massive headaches too. I wish I could give it up but I just can't. I do know, however, that those are just withdrawal symptoms. You can treat them with tylenol or midol or something like that until they go away, but they won't be around forever. Kinda like when we went thru the carb withdrawal. It sucks for a bit but I hear it does go away eventually. Let us know how it goes. If you get thru it and feel better than when you were on caffeine, maybe I'll give it another go!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:30

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

My husband tells me that sex can cure anything LOL > (although it didn't do much for my weight loss plans, I'm thinking I need to find a new cure for things.) Seriously though, maybe a nice hot shower or bath? Hope you feel better soon.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:41

Stats: 248/140/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Hang in

there, I totally sympathize with you darlin, The first week without my freshly ground, Columbian coffe about did me in. But I perservered, and you will too!!!

Drink plenty of water an take a tylenol or whatever to ease the aches. It will pass, I promise you.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 12:46

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Drink lots of water - it will help. And take something for the headache - I personally think advil or ibuprofen works better. But whatever works for you - just not excedrin because it has caffeine. It took me two or three days to get past the withdrawal. If you have the willpower drink half of a diet coke to help with the symptoms. Pour out the first half if you need to...and then drink just the second half, soon you won't need even that.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:00

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

What about green tea? It has some caffine but way lower than your coke would and it has health benefits as well or are you trying to wean completely off caffine and not just the cokes?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:28

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

When I'm in the throes of a caffeine headaches, nothing helps (except caffeine ). I could take a whole bottle of advil and it doesn't touch it. Not trying to be discouraging; sometimes it's just something you have to endure.

My years of Diet Pepsi abuse have made me so sensitive to caffeine that when I have given it up, any exposure to caffeine (like chocolate or tea) sets off one of those killer headaches. I'm trying to just get to a dull roar stage, with one cup of coffee a day, as opposed to the normal 2-3 liters of Diet Pepsi. Pretty pathetic, huh .

Good luck
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, you're probably nearly done with the withdrawl symptoms. If it had been me, I would've gradually tapered off. Or... not quit! I likes me caffeine, makes me perky.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:42

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 395/380/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

The hardest part for me is cutting the caffeine. However, I have found that drinking more water is very filling.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

I still have 1 cup of coffee evey morning, it has not hurt my weight loss, and It keeps me from the headache, plus I still enjoy my coffee!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 14:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 92%

hi el123,

oh my gosh, i did the same thing and totally went through withdrawls too! i couldn't believe it! i ended up drinking decaffinated coffee for awhile and realized that it was totally okay.

i had massive headaches for about a week, but i kept drinking lots of water and it eventually went away. i hardly drink the decaffinated stuff now.

the first couple of days for me TOTALLY sucked, so i totally sympathize with you! just hang in there sweetie and you'll be fine.

i occassionally drink a diet rite for a "mock" caffine fix (caffeine free, sugar free--it's psychological). it tastes like diet coke to me, while others may disagree. i notice that my taste buds are extremely sensitive to sugar.

good luck!

Kimmy
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 15:02

Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I once tried to give up coffee all at once and had HORRIBLE headaches, irritability, fatigue, etc. Recently I tapered off coffee, first cutting down from a big mug to a small cup, then skipping every other day, and finally eliminating it altogether. It took about 3 weeks and it was painless. If it gets too tough, try gradually weaning yourself from it.