Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Since you have started LC (can pick multiple choices):
Am a diagnosed diabetic and condition has deteriorated. 0 0%
Am a diagnosed diabetic and condition has stayed the same. 0 0%
Am a diagnosed diabetic and condition has improved, but still need diabetic meds. 3 10.34%
Am a diagnosed diabetic but am now diabetic med free. 7 24.14%
Other problems (BP, Chol) have gotten worse - need more meds than before. 1 3.45%
Other problems (BP, Chol) have stayed the same - still need meds. 0 0%
Other problems (BP, Chol) have improved - need fewer meds. 1 3.45%
Other problems (BP, Chol) have improved greatly and am now med free. 9 31.03%
Was and am still med free, but blood profile has worsened overall 1 3.45%
Was and am still med free and blood profile has not changed noticeably. 2 6.90%
Was and am still med free, but blood profile has improved noticeably. 11 37.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:37

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Question What IS IT with the ADA and Diabetes and LC?

I have seen lots of posts from people that are diagnosed Diabetics that are completely off their medications. How blind does the ADA have to be not to see these results?

Out of curiosity, I've posted the above poll. Now, let me say from the get-go that this is a junk poll that, when everything is said and done, conveys absolutely no meaningful information. So don't read a bunch into it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:51

BF:

To any moderator: The above poll is supposed to allow the user to pick multiple choices. Apparently the selection for that got unchecked when I previewed the poll. It is possible for you to change that?

If not and in the meantime, the only people that might need to pick two selections are people that are both diabetic and are also on meds for other blood profile problems. Please answer the one that represents the most significant change since starting LC and, if that doesn't tell you which to answer, please answer the diabetic related one. Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 18:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

It's now multiple choice

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 00:53
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 100%
Arrow The goose that lays the golden eggs

Quote:
Originally posted by wbahn
How blind does the ADA have to be not to see these results?
As blind as it takes to stay in business! Between killing the patients and killing the goose that lays the golden eggs, the bottom line is pretty obvious.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 11:40

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Default interesting you should ask today...

...as yesterday, mercola reprinted a British MA journal article, which in part, says,

"In the 1960s the results of a large randomized controlled study by the University Group Diabetes Program showed that tolbutamide, virtually the only blood sugar lowering agent available at the time in pill form, was associated with a significant increase in mortality in patients who developed myocardial infarction.

The obvious response from the medical profession should have been gratitude: here was an important way to improve the safety of clinical practice. But in fact the response was doubt, outrage, even legal proceedings against the investigators; the controversy went on for years.

Why?

An important clue surfaced at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association soon after the study was published. During the discussion a practitioner stood up and said he simply could not, and would not, accept the findings, because admitting to his patients that he had been using an unsafe treatment would shame him in their eyes. Other examples of such reactions to improvement efforts are not hard to find.

Indeed, it is arguable that shame is the universal dark side of improvement.

After all, improvement means that, however good your performance has been, it is not as good as it could be. As such, the experience of shame helps to explain why improvement, which ought to be a "no brainer", is generally such a slow and difficult process.

...shame is so devastating because it goes right to the core of a person's identity, making them feel exposed, inferior, degraded; it leads to avoidance, to silence."

In other words, typical doctor-run-away-ego stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 12:08

BF:

I certainly agree with you - and it makes me sick.

It's one thing for a "professional" to not keep up on the latest technology. That's the nature of the beast in any evolving field of study. You get so focussed on doing well with what you've already learned that you lose focus on continually learning more. Most engineers and scientists, myself included, are guilty of that.

But to consciously avoid learning more and using that knowledge because you are afraid it will make you look bad....that's dispicable and is anything but the mark of a professional. I've had to tell customers that an approach I was using turned out to be bad or, at the very least, worse and an alternative I've just learned about.

And for a doctor to continue a practice that is harmful, or at the very least not as helpful, to their patients as the information that that doctor possesses seems a fundamental violation of the Hippocratric Oath - and at some point would seem to be a criminal violation of trust.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 12:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: interesting you should ask today...

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle

In other words, typical doctor-run-away-ego stuff.

Not onlly that, but the way people have gotten so sue happy in the previous years, a doctor that admits he had been using an unsafe treatment could be in setting him/herself up by getting sued by the very patients he/she was trying to help.

Six of one, half a dozen to another, ... doctors can't win no matter what they do sometimes.

Just think of it this way:

What would the outcome be *IF* the federal government admitted that the very diet they forced upon us years ago, made us sick and they were personally responsible for the american population being overweight and having health issues?

How many people would try to find someone to sue over it?

Pretty sad to think of the numbers.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
BF:
Arrow Suing...

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
What would the outcome be *IF* the federal government admitted that the very diet they forced upon us years ago, made us sick and they were personally responsible for the American population being overweight and having health issues?

How many people would try to find someone to sue over it?
You know what lawyers always say,"Never admit guilt!"
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 18:12

BF:

Just wanted to get this back up on the top of the thread list to troll for some more responders.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 01:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/285/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up

DH & I just started this diet 2 weeks ago because my DH was diagnosed with diabetes, luckily my aunt (who also has diabetes) has followed Atkins and is totally off meds now! Of course this WOE will help me lose weight as well! We are *both* eating so much more healthy and Dh's blood sugars are in the normal range. Unfortunately he is on meds but we will see what happens as he loses his weight.

After all I have read there was really *no* question about us doing low carb for my DH's blood sugars.. but last Weds we went to the obligitory dietition appt and she did her best to talk us out of low carb and into the ADA way of eating. We didn't argue with her but we knew which way we were going to eat! I *really* hated that she was condecending to us about low carb dieting being "a way to lose weight for the short term, but your husband needs a way to eat forever! Are you telling me he will be able to go without bread, pasta, and chocolate forever??" I wanted to slap her.. particularly because she was talking as if my DH wasn't even sitting there!

Anyway, I am so glad we found this WOE.. I wonder about all the poor soals that believe that the ADA knows what they are doing??
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 17:48

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default I'll know soon

I will be posting my answer to this poll in about a month. Three months ago my hormones were tested for indications of PCOS. They showed my gynocologist that I have the syndrome, but also, my fasting bloodsugar was tested and it was 138. My internist and I made a deal, because I had just started LCing and she thinks it's a good way to go, that I would not do meds and that I would be tested again in May. I have been on The Schwarzbein Principle program ever since and I know that my bloodsugar level will be back in the "normal" range.

;-Deb

#12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 19:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sunni...

If you ever see that dietician again, tell her that your DH doesn't have to go without bread, pasta and chocolate forever because there are some pretty darn good low carb versions of those things on the market now and they are improving all the time. All the ADA diet got me was fatter with my blood sugars out of control and needing medication to control it. You couldn't PAY me enough money to go back to that way of eating again. I'm sold on low carb for life!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 06:49

Plan: atkins modified
Stats: 140/135/125
BF:
Progress:
Default blood suger profile much improved thanks to LC

I'm in the UK where there isn't a lot of discussion about this. Had high blood sugar levels for 3 years - they kept going up until finally I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I had been careful - but of course my 'careful' diet included those whole grains, fruits etc - to no avail obviously.

LC has made fasting levels go WAY down - last test was right before Xmas and my Dr was shocked! She had never heard of LCing. She is basically my gynocologist but has been following me for years due to terrible Candida. Candida now gone and my Dr is talking about lc-ing to her other patients- many have the same pre-diabetic conditions as I have/had.

Just a minor success story I wanted to pass on.
Good luck to everyone.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 19:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Rachel...

that's great news about your blood sugars and candida! I was having a terrible time with yeast infections before I started low carbing and haven't had one since. My doc was also amazed at how quickly I got my blood sugars down to normal and am keeping them that way without medications.