Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default a liquid splenda product

I know someone who has a small business making syrups from berries she grows on her farm. At my pleading, she's developing a "syrup" that would essentially be splenda drops, liquid sucralose diluted a bit in purified water.

She's asked me several times whether I'm sure a product like this would be popular, mostly because to purchase the concentrate from the Splenda folks is a fairly large investment (they have a pretty high $$$ minimum order limit).

What do you folks here think? I certainly think she could do well with it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

I hope she does it . Everybody is looking for liquid splenda. Tell her to be careful when Mc Neil finds out what she is doing they will try to stop her. Everybody would love this.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I've heard that Splenda refuses to allow other businesses to sell sucralose as a "sweetener" -- they'll only sell Splenda to a business, in any form, as long as it's being used to make a different product. I'm not a small business, so I don't know how the contract works, but your friend might want to tread very lightly, to make sure Splenda will keep selling her the supplies she needs.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

There are places online where you can buy "sucralose syrup" for about $32 for a big bottle. It's basically sucralose without the flavouring of stuff like Da Vinci or Atkins syrups. But don't call it "splenda".
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 19:02
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Thanks for the input! She's been talking with a rep from McNeil about what she plans to do, and trying to make sure that she doesn't do anything outside of their boundaries. I'm sure she won't be calling it "Liquid Splenda", but more like a sweetened flavoring without the flavoring. ... oh, what was that word she used? Not tincture. Not Extract. Something like that, though. I think she said that it has to be a flavoring liquid.

Anyway, I told her that there's been some... ahem... controversy about this type of product. I think that's another reason she want's to be sure there's really people who would want it before she goes through all the rigmarole.

I can't for the life of me understand why McNeil doesn't do this themselves.

I did myself buy an unflavored sucralose syrup from one of the online vendors. Yuck. It's sweet, alright, but way too syrupy... kind of mucous-y. I did not like the way it changed the texture of my tea at all!

Last edited by Hedgey : Mon, Mar-22-04 at 19:15.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 12:02

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Well, I don't know about all the legal mumbo-jumbo, but heck YEAH, I'd buy that. So would a lot of other people. I also have NO idea why McNeil doesn't offer it themselves. Pretty stupid to miss an opportunity like that, if you ask me.