Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 22:40

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default question about OWL

i am about to start OWL, but as it is, i am not getting up to 20 carbs a day. i'm not sure i can eat any more salad than i already am! what was the first food you introduced when you began ongoing weight loss, other than MORE induction-friendly veggies? what have you had the most success with? i am very close to my goal weight, and i don't want to reach it then realize i don't know how to STOP losing weight.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 05:20

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Try adding a different veggie, maybe as a snack. Cucumbers, celery, small tomato slices.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Don't forget, in OWL you can introduce berries, nuts and some different veggies.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/157/145 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress: 64%

I was also going to suggest nuts. Macadamias and almonds are good to start with. If you start eating nuts, you might want to up your water intake to counteract the effects of the salt.

What about a slice of low carb bread with peanut butter?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:04
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

The first food I introduced in OWL were walnuts. I would then have them mixed into my LC yogurt (my second food added into OWL) for breakfast.

Congrats on your amazing progress el!

melissa
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:18

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

I added LC Yogurt and I mixed FlaxGranonla into it. Also, nuts are good to add, you can add berries as well...when I finished induction, I started making some more fancy dishes as well, like squash pudding (squash, cheese, cream, some almond flour)...Hmmm.....also having more veggies...
Brussel Srouts, Spinach, Green Beans, Zucchinin...Eggplant (eggplant lasagna is good)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:55
Registered Member

Stats: 154/146.5/125 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 26%

When did you guys start OWl? Would you say I've lost enough to start adding foods in yet? I have started adding some already bit I try to stay at or below 20g. carbs. Is this ok to do?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 08:59

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

thank you guys for all your help!! i think it's just me being paranoid about not eating the right foods... but nuts and berries... yum! i'm so excited!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:03

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I try to stay at or below 20g. carbs. Is this ok to do?

To do OWL correctly follow the book increase carbs by about 5 per week.
Yes berries and grains are a good first choice, it's amazing how those can expand your range of food choices.Soft cheeses too like cottage cheese. Just don't add all of these in one week, slowly re-intorduce foods, keeping your carbs at 5 extra per day per week.

KAthy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, the YMCA & praying like the dickens!
Stats: 240/228.5/125 Female 63
BF:God Only Knows!
Progress: 10%
Default Try this

Add more veges - I like cold green beans with a little Italian dressing and feta cheese. Some people like almonds in their green beans, but I'm allergic.

People look in my fridge, see all the canned green beans, think I'm nuts! But they all tried it and loved it.

I'm not necessary a lettuce fan, and I'm very lazy by the time I get home from work, the gym, its' usually 6:30, so I like EASY, so I put together a salad that consists of:

Tomato
Cucumber
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Green Beans
Feta Cheese
Green Olives

Then you can cook up some chicken or steak, throw it in the salad, chill overnight, makes a great lunch to take to work! Fills you up, gets in all your nutrients and is yummy to boot!

As a time-saver, I started buying all my veges for the week on Sunday, chopping everything, storing in plastic baggies, then every night I just grab what I need!

Have a great day!
C
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 11:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I agree with trying other veggies too. Have a full cup of spaghetti squash instead of 1/2. Add more brussle sprouts, or green beans to dinner.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 23:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Yep...veggies. They're the most important carbs to eat. I try to eat at least 3 servings per day. Higher carb ones on the list are spinach, green beans, zucchini, red cabbage, broccoli, onions and peppers. These are the ones I like. I started OWL about 4 weeks ago. I did a re-induction for two weeks prior and I was just eating the 3 cups salad (lower carb) veggies and only getting about 11-12 carbs per day. So my first additions were higher carb veggies and dairy. I have been spending two weeks at each carb level just to make sure nothing is causing problems...and because I still have about 25 lbs. left to go. I added nuts last week. Dr. A recommended eating the new food group only 3x the first week, then whenever you want. I've found this to be helpful with finding problem foods too. Cottage cheese was a problem food for me. This sunday I get to add berries (and they're on SALE)! I've followed the carb ladder, but after berries I'm going to skip to lc grains. After that it won't matter if my CCLL goes any higher. I'll have everything I need. OWL has been stressful for me...but it will be worth it. I'll know how to eat to not only maintain my weight, but to be healthy too.