Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 23:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/152/140
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default I did it for the children!

Halloween night, and I took the kids, 3 and 5 years old out trick or treating. The 3 year old tired out quickly, but the 5 year old kept it up, and her bucket was filled with carbs.

How could I as a good father allow her to consume all those evil sugary carbs. So I did my duty and had 6 reeses peanut butter cups (the big ones) and 4 kit kat bars, so about 140 carbs altogether.

So now I have a slamming headache. Feels just like a hangover. That was my first sugar in 5 months. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-31-02, 23:15
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Actually it was me who did it. Soella is my honey, and I forgot to log in.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 10:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

So it was all in the name of protecting your children - you're a dutiful father.

I did it, too. I was at a bar for the night, and they had giant bowls of candy out. Some of it was stuff I hadn't had since I was a kid - Popeye Candy Sticks (note that they're not 'candy cigarettes' anymore...) Yum. I pigged out.

At least it was planned. I knew I was going to have some candy. Gotta live it up once in a while.

...and I had a splitting headache this morning, too.

So I've learned my lesson... at least until Christmas.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 10:56

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Gah I feel like such a scrooge now.

We didn't buy any Halloween candy to hand out this year. Last night we kept our porch light off so the tricker treaters would go past the house.

I just couldn't bring myself to handing out candy, knowing how bad sugar makes me feel.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

AC, We did the same thing - no candy this year. I didn't want it in the house!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%
Default If there was such a concern....

Quote:
How could I as a good father allow her to consume all those evil sugary carbs. So I did my duty and had 6 reeses peanut butter cups (the big ones) and 4 kit kat bars, so about 140 carbs altogether.

If there was such a concern about not allowing your children to consume "all those evil sugary carbs", then why did you let her go trick or treating in the first place? Do you truly think that a kid is not going to want to eat the carbage that they collect from trick-or-treating? That is as stupid in my opinion, as my friend's niece. Her son is 4 years old and weighs 85 POUNDS!!! FOUR YEARS OLD!!!!! He is prediabetic, and has been put on a VERY restricted sugar and restricted starch diet... so she takes him trick-or-treating, thinking she will only let him have 1 piece of candy a day! When they came back to the house, for a bathroom break, he was already getting into it, and she was not stopping him! But then, she is only 5 foot tall, and weighs 350 pounds, and she is diabetic, and does not care what she eats... it is so sad that she is passing a death sentence on to her son. I am not saying that you are passing a death sentence on to your child, but if such "evil sugary carbs" are such a concern, why didn't you find some healthier alternative for your child?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 11:44
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

[QUOTE]If there was such a concern about not allowing your children to consume "all those evil sugary carbs", then why did you let her go trick or treating in the first place? Do you truly think that a kid is not going to want to eat the carbage that they collect from trick-or-treating? [/QUOTE]

and

I am not saying that you are passing a death sentence on to your child, but if such "evil sugary carbs" are such a concern, why didn't you find some healthier alternative for your child?

I don't think he was looking for such criticism. I got a kick out of this post....as I hope many other readers do. I love total honesty.....and a brave father who takes his kids trick or treating.

Good for you Mr. Fumble.

cin
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Shoogadownsizing!
Stats: 205/145/150 Female 5'4"
BF:F/C/C
Progress: 109%

Oh MrFrumble...........Good on you! I never would have been able to stop after only 6 large Reese's peanut butter cups and 4 Kitkats!

Your post reminds me of some of the excuses I've used to justify cheating I have done in the past. There was a time when I ate about 4 huge pieces of cake just so it wouldn't be there to tempt me anymore. How's that for distorted sugar junkie thinking?
asugar
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 13:14

Plan: yo-yo
Stats: 230/190/175 Male 5'10"
BF:no clue
Progress: 73%
Default Excess

Hi all,
I think this is an interesting question.

My first response to the post was to laugh. It was pretty funny in that "jeez we're all human after all" sort of way.

But I too debated on whether or not to hand out candy. I chose to...good old tootsie pops. The kids get such a kick out of being ooo'd and ahhh'd over in their costumes.

Part of me remembered how much fun I had as a kid going door-to-door. On the other hand I ate way to much candy as a kid. And today's kids are much more obese than 30-40 years ago.

I spent some of last night at a friend's house. She lives on a street where thousands of kids go trick-or-treating (my street just gets a handful).

I was amazed at the number of kids who were grossly obese. And it was they who most often grabbed handfuls of candy. Obesity and lack of manners seemed rampant, though not necessarily co-joined.

Awful sad commentary. Sadder were some of the parents..often with beers and smokes in their hands.

And yet plenty of kids will eat all that candy without bad effect.

So I am torn on Halloween. We are definitely setting up some of these kids for diabetes, obesity etc. Especially since Thanksgiving and Christmas is just around the corner.

I wonder if we could turn Halloween into an opportunity to collect money for charities. Or food for the food banks.

Not sure. It's a loaded issue. And worth thinking about.

Still....thanks for the chuckle Frumble. And the opportunity to rethink the traditions of our culture.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 13:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

Hey, at least you chose reese's cups....some peanut butter for protein to go along with all your carbs
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

*referree whistle* Suze, is it really necessary to turn the heat up to 'high' in every thread? This is the forum where people can 'fess up with their indiscretions, it's not 'Parenting 101'. Frumble was clearly being facetious. Lighten up.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Nov-03-02 at 17:19.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 17:48
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I loved taking my daughter trick or treating. I started with her from a young age, 3 or 4. Which is strange because she never got candy from me. She never even had a taste until she was 5 and someone gave her a lollipop. I was pissed! However, the person called me back later mad because my daughter, after a few licks, I guess, set it down on her couch cushion. Well, I had told her I didn't give my daughter candy.

I have this theory that if they don't get it as a child, they never really develop a taste for it. To this day a small piece of dessert, if any, satisfies her and it can't be too sweet.

However, she always loved trick or treating, even if she forgot the candy was there and I threw it out after three days.

She does like Reeses peanut butter cups though. But she can only eat two.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I was being silly with my evil carbs statement. Truth be told, it was Grandma who brought all the Reese's and Kit Kats over right before we set off to go trick or treating. So I ate them as we walked. Amazingly enough I'm still in Ketosis, maybe I burned off all the carbs when I had to carry my 45 pound daughter all the way back home after she pooped out. 45 lbs is about what I lost, so it was interesting to feel all that weight back on.

My daughters haul was relativily small, compared to what I used to haul in when I was a kid. Plus neither kid seems to have a wieght problem, which I attribute to the fact that my wife and I took great pains to not link food to anything emotional or ever make a big deal of how much they eat at mealtime. If they eat one bite, so be it. We made sure Grandma understood that also.

I think a little candy now and then is just fine. I'm more concerned about all the fruit juices and refined flour products we used to have on a daily basis.

My main guilt to feeding carbs to my kids now, come from when they want to eat the leftover hamburger bun from my Jumbo Jack.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 18:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFrumble

My main guilt to feeding carbs to my kids now, come from when they want to eat the leftover hamburger bun from my Jumbo Jack.

Oh NO! Say it ain't so!

hehehe try putting tabasco sauce on it? Maybe they wouldn't want to eat it then
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: SuManKins
Stats: 321/249/221 Female 64 inches
BF:Let's not go there
Progress: 72%

Quote:
*referree whistle* Suze, is it really necessary to turn the heat up to 'high' in every thread? This is the forum where people can 'fess up with their indiscretions, it's not 'Parenting 101'. Frumble was clearly being facetious. Lighten up.

"turn the heat up to 'high' in every thread? Gadz you make it sound like I am a supreme b*tch~ People ask for advice in posts, and I quote what I see...gathering information so there is some credibility to my replies... instead of talking just to be talking.I go out of my way to search the net, and bring back proof of what they are asking about, instead of just saying... well, I think this is this way. And yes, sometimes I may be a bit serious, that's just how things are sometimes, and that's just how I am sometimes. I guess it is easy to put me down on replies that may seem "heavy replies"....how about the posts where I am thanked for help, and for being understanding, hmmm no mention of that though... I think a better way to deal with this would have been to send a pm, rather than "tear me a new one" in public forum.I don't like the way how some others answer posts, but I don't go off telling them so like you did! But just to make it "right",I hereby offer the following:

Mr. Frumble, if I in any way offended you with my reply...or anyone else on this forum for that matter...and NOT only with my replies in this thread, but ANY OTHER where I may have OFFENDED someone with my reply, then I am sorry that my post was offensive to "whomever, that was surely NOT my intention."

I was offering concern in that this is a generation of children, where the chances of having conditions linked to being overweight is higher than ever,... obesity is more common in children than normal weight is for the most part... and if both parents have a tendency to have reactions and problems with carbage, then doesn't it stand to reason, that this MIGHT be something that would be passed down to the children?Excuse me for thinking like that...