Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:40

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Was is something I said?

Hmmm … lots of people looked at my first ever post here and yet not one response. Waah!

ok, ok -- maybe I should have just searched for a website that explained body fat calculation on my own to begin with. Here’s what I came up with, in case anyone needs this info:

You can calculate using The U.S. Navy Circumference Method here.

You can download a calculator that uses a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to track your body fat ratio here.

Can't vouch for the accuracy -- haven't tried 'em yet. I'll let you know, though.

Best –
rhubarb
[a.k.a. barbara]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:40

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

HI Barbara,
Thanks for the links. I will check them out and see what sort of san answer they give me. I have an Excel one myself. I had a look at as many as I could find and some gave me very Different answers . The one I downloaded gave me the answer that came up the most often and has quite nice to use.
I was 46% and now am 41% Same as my age

How come you havnt filled your stats in? and yet it says you are 8% there where Come on its great for us all to be able to cheer you on no one knows you and thats the reason I can be so open
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bflywelc.jpg (9.2 KB, 101 views)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 13:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default Hi barbara

I apologize for not welcoming U. I guess because U are a vegetarian and following the zone which I am not familiar with I presumed someone with more knowledge would welcome U. But hey welcome here! Would love to hear more about how U are doing with your plan. And thanks for the links, will check them out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:09

BF:

Now I am again.
Looks like I was measuring wrong!!
I had downloaded the same Exel one as mentioned above and was measuring at my navel and not my narrowest place which is a couple of inches higher and alot narrower. I saw on some website to measure at the navel. Now on the naval one it says thats only for men and women need to measure at the narrowest place .
That does make more sense. and makes me 37% at the naval site and the Excel one.
Im going to change to that .
I did find the 46% last week a bit hard to swallow.

If anyone has any imput Id like to hear it.

Nat and the others on BFL must know about these things?
I realise these sorts of calcs can be a little off but its good to have a close idea.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:15

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi, Bloom

Yes, I too noticed that I somehow got 8% to my goal without having filled any stats in!

I would like to have some stats up, but I don’t even OWN a scale! (I have a vague idea of how much I weigh from having been to the doctor so much this past winter.) I really want to measure my success in terms of how I feel, what size clothes I wear, and -- as was suggested to me here -- body fat ratio. I’ll get some stats up as soon as I figure them out. I may follow your lead and use a few different methods and see what answer turns up the most. Stay tuned!

-- Rhu

p.s. gwilson – yes, I’ve been checking in with both the “veggie” and “zone” forums, but here just as often – for now, there’s more activity here, even though the hopes are that those two areas will see some more action!. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:23

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Barbara! Welcome to the forum!

We don't have an official greeting committee here. Personally I tend to hang out in the forums where I might pick up some new knowledge or answer a question.

I think gwilson is probably right, people look for someone they have something in common with. And I think it's mostly new people who read the introductions and they don't know the answer to your question.

I've never seen a question go unanswered in the newbie question section. It's understood there that people don't know how to find information that's been discussed before.

I'd suggest you go to your local library and find a copy of Protein Power. In it is a detailed section on body fat calculation. It's too much to type here. It goes on for pages.

Now don't hide away with just the other veggies and zoners, be sure to visit with us too! We really are friendly and really do answer 99.99% of the questions asked.

Allison
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 14:56

BF:

Barb, when you work out your body fat you can use that for your stats like NAT and the BFLfers do I notice thats become quite a popular option cos as you pointed out what you weigh doesnt give as clear picture of how healthy you are.