Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/200/160
BF:not sure
Progress: 20%
Default couple of questions

Hi, I have been eating 1/2 of an Atkins Advantage Bar every morning for breakfast (I start work at 6am and can't stomach the bacon and eggs that early in the morning) a few things I have read in this forum say the bars are bad, it says on the bar wrapper that you only have to count each bar as 2g if you are following the Atkins program? is this true or false? also in the whipping cream department how does the Reddi Whip Light fare in the carb ratings? it says it has 0.7 g of carb per 30ml serving but it does contain sugar according to the ingredients list. Please let me know if this is ok or not. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 19:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I have been eating 1/2 of an Atkins Advantage Bar every morning for breakfast (I start work at 6am and can't stomach the bacon and eggs that early in the morning) a few things I have read in this forum say the bars are bad, it says on the bar wrapper that you only have to count each bar as 2g if you are following the Atkins program? is this true or false?

The bars aren't 'bad' but they may not be a good idea in Induction. This is definitely an individual thing. Some people can eat the bars and lose just fine. Others stall until they cut out the bars.

The "effective carb count" is 2 or 3 - whatever it says on the wrapper. They don't have to count the carbs of 'sugar alcohols' (like maltitol, sorbitol) which are used as sweetener because it is believed that those things don't cause insulin release. Maybe, maybe not. If you counted the sugar alcohols, the total could be 17 or 18 grams. You'll just have to try and see.

Why not have leftover dinner or lunch things for breakfast? You don't have to have bacon and eggs in the AM. How about chicken from the last night's dinner? Or cheese omelet? Or check out the Recipe section for the Breakfast muffins or quiches. And the "mock Danish". Yum.

Quote:
also in the whipping cream department how does the Reddi Whip Light fare in the carb ratings? it says it has 0.7 g of carb per 30ml serving but it does contain sugar according to the ingredients list. Please let me know if this is ok or not

It sort of depends. What is the ingredient list? There could be several kinds of sugars & many chemicals. And how much is a 30 ml serving? I;d need to know how big a pile that would make. I never use the canned stuff because whipping up the real heavy cream is so much better tasting. And I know what's in it. So it's really up to you. "Lite" can mean 'less fat but more sugar", "less sugar but more sugar alcohols" or just 'tastes lighter".

This may not help, but at least you have some facts.

All the best.