Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 04:49

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Working Moms/Dads with elementary/middle school children?

Hi! Anyone interested in a support group for parents of kids age 5 and up? I have 2 + 2 -- my daughter is 6 and my son is 9 and my stepson is almost 15 and my other step son is 9. So, anyway, my life is QUITE crazy! Finding time to exercise, plan meals, work, sleep, etc. is tough! However, I have managed to lose 25 pounds so far. Maybe we could do a challenge of some sort... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:21
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hello. I have 2 + 2 as well, 2 daughters (ages 8 & 3) and 2 step-daughters (ages 10 & 6) So my life is probably quite a bit like yours. So between, work, finishing up my bachelor's degree, and raising a family there isn't much time for anything else. I'd love to buddy up and see what we can do as a team.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 170/143/130 Female 64
BF:?/29.2/23-OMG
Progress: 68%

Hi Fiona and Kim
I don't have any step children. I got plenty of my own I have 3 children ages 10,6, and 2. I am also a single mom to this wild bunch. So I can truely understand how there isn't enough time!
To the both of you, good job on the weight lost. Tho, Fiona you and I pretty much started the same time with the same amout of goal. Your goin faster than me! No fair!
Now as for a challenge........ hmmmmm. Maybe we need to ponder together. Maybe something simple to start off with, that way we don't feel so overwhelm. I know there are all sorts in the forum like fittin to a size, pedometer or just a time goal. Does any of this sound good?
Let us know

Last edited by xerces : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 13:24. Reason: Whops.. wrong age on my youngest..haha
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:57
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

xerces: And good job on the weight loss to you too. 25 lbs. sounds like a dream to me. I'm up for a challenge as well. Take it easy on me, I'm fairly new to this. (LOL)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Stats: 251/217/135 Female 62
BF:100
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up

Hi everyone here, I am just starting my diet and am still new to this forum thing but love it. I have 1 daughter and she is 7. My husband and I have been married 17 years. Hope to hear from all of you. Talk soon.

Candles
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 04:25

BF:

Hi Candles, Kim and Xerces!! So we all know what it's like to be busy busy parent I can see. I'm so glad you replied to the post. As far as a challenge, I still don't know. How about something simple at first - like making sure we get at least 64 oz of water??? I think support might be the real factor here. What do you think?

Well it's a cold Last Day of September here in Massachusetts! Hmmm i guess Xerces and Candles don't have to worry about that huh? Ohio Kim, maybe it's a little chilly there? I went to Cincinnatti in April for a training conference. It was awesome. I packed on several pounds eating Graeter's Raspberry Chocolate chunk ice cream and eating ribs at the Montgomery Inn. What a beautiful city. Maybe you don't even live anywhere near Cincinnati though.!!! Sorry to ramble!

Wow Xerces -- three kids as a single Mom! You must be SUPER busy. Congrats on losing 15 pounds! That's so great. That's funny that you got the age of your youngest wrong! That's just how busy you are huh?

Candles -- that's a cool name - where'd you come up with that? Do you make candles? Love candles? Congratulations on making the committment to get healthy. I think we can all be supportive of each other, lose some weight and make some new friends.

Time to go whip up some cream cheese pancakes. I can't wait to try them... found the recipe on the recipes forum here. Talk to you soon I hope!!

Susan
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:17
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Susan: Cream Cheese Pancakes? Hmmmmm. How were they? That actually sounds pretty good. I'm not really close to Cincinatti. I'm up in the Northwest corner (closer to Fort Wayne, Indiana). I have been to Cincinatti a few times though. I think the water challenge is a great one to get us all started.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 09:48
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

I am so happy. At work today, we celebrated a winning a trial last week. There were tons of doughnuts in the conference room and I didn't budge. Yipee!!!! I can't believe I made it through the morning without even a little taste.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:10
Registered Member

Hi Xerces,Kim and Hi Fiona mcK, answering your question - on top of working a full time job during the day my hobby is selling Partylite Candles so I have shows on the weekends I love it so that is where my nickname came from..... plus I love to burn candles as well. How did the cream cheese pancakes turn out? I love meeting new people and love being supportive plus receiving support since I really dont get much of that at home. My husband tells me it is easy. He is one of those people that can lose weight easy when needed. So he doesnt see my problem and why I stuggle with it every day. Sorry to get on my soap box but I LOVE BEING HERE ........

SMILE
LOVE CANDLES
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:19
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Candles: I totally understand what you are saying. My husband is wonderful, but he is the sort of guy who can eat anything, all the time and never gain a pound and he is not any more active than I am. I'm new to this too and I have a feeling that with all of this support, we will both reach our goals.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:37
Registered Member

Kim I am so glad you know where I am coming from as well. My husband is wonderful as well but he doesnt need to watch his weight....We can and We shall get though this rough time and we can do it together....

love Candles
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 03:40

BF:

I hate it when you spend lots if time writing a witty, supportive post and then the board won't let you post. Anyway... to sum it up....

I know what you mean about husband that don't sympathize... mine just lost 15 pounds without really dieting.

Candles - I love candles too. YOu must be really busy to have parties on the weekend and be a mom and be a wife and work full time.. wow!

Kim - congrats on avoiding the donut and winning the trial!

More later!

Susan
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 07:41
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Fiona mcK: When did you start this WOE? It looks like it hasn't been long and you are doing great.

xerces: I was a single mom after I got a divorce about 5 years ago. I think that added to packing on the lbs. because we would just run through McDonalds or order a pizza on a pretty regular basis. It looks like your doing great though. Do your kids eat much of the same stuff you do now?

Candles: What part of California are you from? I have a friend who lives in Anaheim.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 08:05
Registered Member

Wink

Good morning ladies, Fiona I dont have that many parties on the weekends maybe 1 a month sometimes 2. Most of the time outside of work I am a mom and wife. But sometimes it does get hectic....

Kim I now live by Bakersfield but orginally from down that way. Hope all is going well with everyone look forward to hearing for all of my new friends here

Candles
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:13
Registered Member

Stats: 177/157/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi all,

is it to late for me to join you all? I just finish a challenge to loss 10# in a month. Didn't have much luck there(only 1.5 in a month, and I will just blame the stress of a family for that one, lol)

I have 2 children, a very spirited 13(going on 20) daughter, and a son 5(who also has quite a bit of spunk).

My life isn't quite as busy as all of yours, I'm a stay at home mom who raises calves and fish. So I have more time for exercise, and meals, and well everything else but it still doesn't seem like enough.

I think the water challenge would be a great start, that is one thing that I have not been doing very good with lately, along with exersice, and meals, and...

It's been a rought 2 weeks