Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:44

Plan: Carb Cycle
Stats: 185/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question Cholesterol question

I was doing Atkins, I had read the Schwarzbein Principle and was considering switching as it sounded much more balanced and she explained very well all the science behind it. Once I became pregnant I decided now was the time to switch. I have been doing well but now find I have a question.

It maybe that the Atkins mind set is in the way, or I missed an important detail in the Schwarzbein book.

I asked a question in a thread yesterday about Saturated Fat and High Carbs; Why it is bad to eat essentially High Fat/High Carb. I got the response the Saturated Fat is bad with High Carb.

Here is one of the responses:

Quote:
Re: saturated fat

The problem is cholesterol. It is increased insulin that sends saturated fat into the blood to deposit in the arteries. Low carb keeps the insulin down so the fat doesn't go directly into the bloodstream. So increased carbs and saturated fat can raise cholesterol. I read this in either DANDR or Protein Power, I think.

and ..

Does Schwarzbein have the same position as this? I understand that the high insulin levels are bad and will cause heart diease but doesn't have to be in conjunction with saturated fats.

*From her book**

(p82, SPI) She lists Stress, dieting, caffeine, alcohol, aspartame, tobacco, steroids, lack of exercise, stimulants, drugs, INSUFFICIENT proteins and fats with excess carbohydrates.

Am I understanding this incorrectly?

Sorry so long, just trying to get my head around this.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 15:57
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kathy:

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I'll try my best.

First off, the Eades and SP both defend cholesterol. It is not a predictor of heart disease, triglycerides are a better predictor. Cholesterol is critical to making hormones as well as many other important functions. There is even newer information that LDL cholesterol is ALSO separated into good and bad cholesterol. As more time goes on, cholesterol keep getting further vindicated. The Eades have an excellent chapter on cholesterol that I would recommend to anyone interested in heart disease.

SPII probably has a better description of the role of saturated fats than SPI does. She says that saturated fats are not bad for you and are required to build cell membranes. However, if you have a badly damaged metabolism (burned out adrenals or insulin resistant) and cannot burn saturated fats for energy or use them to rebuild biochemicals, they can keep your blood-sugars higher, which will cause degenerative problems. Until your metabolism heals, you may have to follow a low saturated diet with plenty of mono & polyunsaturated fats. So if you have a degenerative disease of aging, can't follow an exercise routine, eat higher carbs due to addiction (high carb diet), or you are under lots of stress, you should follow a lower saturated fat diet.

Quote:
She lists Stress, dieting, caffeine, alcohol, aspartame, tobacco, steroids, lack of exercise, stimulants, drugs, INSUFFICIENT proteins and fats with excess carbohydrates.

According to Dr. S., you can't look at the role of insulin without looking at insulin's antgonists, adrenaline and cortisol. Insulin, cortisol and adrenaline are the body's major hormones and work in tandem with one another. Anything that triggers adrenaline and cortisol will also trigger insulin.

Quote:
I understand that the high insulin levels are bad and will cause heart diease but doesn't have to be in conjunction with saturated fats.

High insulin levels mean that your body is already storing fat. You don't need to eat saturated fat to store fat. This is why saturated fats in combination with a highly refined, high carb diet is dangerous.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 17:45

BF:
Default Thanks

Sorry didnt mean to be so confusing, Just trying to ask a question bouncing around in my head (can get quite messy up there ).

You answered my question very well. I do have one followup though, if you don't mind.

Quote:
High insulin levels mean that your body is already storing fat. You don't need to eat saturated fat to store fat. This is why saturated fats in combination with a highly refined, high carb diet is dangerous.

What about combining high NATURAL carbs and saturated fats? Is it still dangerous? (I don't know why I am obsessing on that point, just something I am trying to get straight in my own head!?!)

Thanks for your help
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 20:06
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Kathy:

It doesn't matter what kind of carb it is, if it's causing the release of too much insulin, the insulin can convert the extra blood sugar into triglycerides.

Eating natural, unprocessed carbs in moderation will not spike insulin. It's about keeping your hormones balanced. Too little insulin will spike adrenaline and cortisol which also isn't good. Too many natural carbs aren't good either if it causes your body to release too much insulin. Just how much is too much depends on your metabolism.

I think what I'm reading in between the lines is: will SP be dangerous if I eat sat fats? The answer is that SP isn't high carb, it's moderate carb, protein AND fats. Also, since the meals are balanced with protein, veggies, fat and carbs, insulin release is further controlled.

Remember, if doing SP from a plan like Atkins, you'd naturally reduce fat intake b/c Atkins is a high fat plan whereas SP is a moderate fat plan. She doesn't advocate "high" or "low" anything.

It's best to think of it like a sliding scale - as you increase carbs you decrease sat fats and vice versa. These are your energy sources. Too much energy will be stored as triglycerides. Of course, protein would remain constant.

Hope I haven't confused you any more.

Wanda
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:35

BF:
Default That was it.

Quote:
I think what I'm reading in between the lines is: will SP be dangerous if I eat sat fats? The answer is that SP isn't high carb, it's moderate carb, protein AND fats. Also, since the meals are balanced with protein, veggies, fat and carbs, insulin release is further controlled.

I think that was it. You know the ol' low-fat mentality says: sat. fats are bad!!! I don't believe after reading Atkins and SP that they are. Only trans-fats. However folks here kept mentioning that sat. fats with high carb was bad, but not mono. or poly unsat. fats. I guess I was trying to reconcile, why only sat. fats are bad when Atkins and SP say they are good fats? yes?

I like the way you put it, SP is moderate carb. I had never thought about it that way before. somehow there was only low and high, with nothing in between! I think that eases my fears alot. Maybe I was going to far. You know what I mean?

Quote:
Remember, if doing SP from a plan like Atkins, you'd naturally reduce fat intake b/c Atkins is a high fat plan whereas SP is a moderate fat plan. She doesn't advocate "high" or "low" anything.

Hope I haven't confused you any more

Yes I get it. Balance is the key, Balanced meals mean insulin controlled.

Thanks for stating in terms that help me settle the matter in my own mind.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much with my questions!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 11:51
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Kathy:

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why there is so much confusion around nutrition. It's not as simple as saying all carbs are bad or all saturated fats are bad. You have to look at the big dietary picture as well as individual differences.

In amongst all the confusion and dietary extremes, there's one common denominator. Refined flours, sugars, trans-fats and processed foods do not make a healthy diet.

Wanda