Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 10:49

Plan: My own
Stats: 145/145/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Grocery Store Shopping

Help....I cannot afford buying online anymore and it does not fit into a lifestyle change for me at least. I want to purchase my items when I do my weekly shopping. Can anyone out there supply me with a list of items they use/have used that are low carb staples. I am looking for things like: Luncheon meats, sausages, pasta, pasta sauces, salad dressings, crackers and anything else.

Thanks so much.....

Gabrielle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Hi Gabrielle

1)Classico Alfredo sundried tomato sauce, half cup 4 grams, great on fish. The plain Alfredo is only 3 grams
2)green onions, they're low carb and add taste to tuna and egg salad, add a little mayonaise (hellmans) and you've got lunch.
3) quiche 1cup whipping cream, 6 eggs, mix and set aside, cook and crumple some bacon on bottom of pan, some green onions, buy a small quanity of aged cheddar and grate it over it and then pour egg mixture over top. Cook 350 F for 35 minutes.
4)In the diabetic section of your food store they have Fify 50 jam it's a little expensive but it is 1tbls -2 carb's, it nice if you must have the sweet taste without the insulin rush. They may have other lc products here too.
5) cream cheese is less expensive if you add your own flavouring and it's great in celery. Add some sf jello mix to it and have a quick cheese cake.
6) chicken thighs are usually less expensive, I cook them in a batch and eat them as snacks. I dunk them in tangy sour cream or a mixture of salsa (eden organic is low carb) and sour cream.

I hope this helps a little, I stay away from most of the processed meats and LC products. I guess I like real food, for that is what I will be eating for the rest of my life. Cauliflower, asparugus, and turnip are vege's I like that are low carb and strawberries and melon are my fruits. I like peanuts which can be what ever you want to pay for them, I eat them unsalted. I understand where you are coming from when you say it is expensive, go luck with your weight lose.
Jo-Ann

Last edited by Jo-Ann 2 : Tue, Apr-16-02 at 05:46.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I feel comfortable in saying that most of the active low-carbers on this forum stick to the basics - and rarely use any low carb substitutes - with great success.

Another thing to do is shopping the perimeter of the grocery store where the real food lives: fresh meats, eggs, vegetables...

Here is a link to help you with a shopping list:

What foods are always in your fridge since low-carbing?

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:31
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Straight from my shopping list...

Hope this helps

Steak
Hamburger
Tuna
Fish
Chicken Boneless
Turkey
Sausage
Eggs
Ricotta
Sour Cream
Heavy Cream
Cottage Cheese Whole Milk
Cream Cheese block
Butter
Feta
Parmesan
Block Cheese
Swiss Cheese
Shredded cheese
Almonds
Macadamia nuts
Jerky
Lettuces
Cucumber
Peppers
Celery
Mushrooms
Broccoli sprouts
Asparagus
Beans string or wax
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Brocoflower
Spinach
Broccoli
Daikon Radish
Zucchini
Tomato
Garlic
Onion
Green Onions
Strawberries
Peaches
Olive Oil
Mayonnaise
Salad dressing
Bacon Bits
Dill Pickles
Salsa Sauce
Ketchup
Mustard
Peanut Butter 4 carbs
Splenda sugar
Vanilla extract
Almond extract
Clear Chicken or Beef broth
Lemon juice concentrate
Lime Juice concentrate
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 18:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

My grocery lists look something like this:

Butter, 4#
Eggs, 4 doz.
Whipping cream, 1 pt.
Sour cream
cream cheese
Broccoli
Spinach
cucumbers
lettuce
radishes
green beans
green onions
mayonnaise
bleu cheese dressing
ranch dressing
Chicken
pork chops
hamburger
beef roast
steaks
block cheese
shredded cheese
string cheese
Splenda
Almond butter

With all this good stuff to eat, I don't even miss pasta and potatoes!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 18:39

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I go with Karen and shop the perimeter, except I add the frozen food isle. Even eating more veges than I used to, they still sometimes go bad so I add frozen chopped spinach (a staple), frozen broccoli floweretts, mixed vegetables, etc.

Also, like Karen, I am very much a whole foods and no substitutes kind of person. It's much easier for me to stay with this way of life by choosing not to eat substitutes for pastas, breads or other hi-carb foods I used to eat, no matter how low-carb the substitutes might be.

It's kind of like what's happening in the low-fat world. People think that they can eat all the substitutes for high-fat foods they want because it's low-fat. I don't want that to happen to me in my low-carb life.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 100%
Exclamation Pasta and crackers on low-carb!

There may be low-carb versions of pasta or crackers but you'd be much better off eating real food. Besides it's cheaper...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-02, 06:16
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Are you committed to making a lifestyle change? Then you're going to have to get rid of the pasta and crackers. Sausage and lunch meats are fine for some, bad for others.

Most regular oil and vinegar salad dressings are just fine. Make sure you get those leafy greens to put them on.

Elihnig
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Angry fifty50 products

Just a note about these products. They are sweetened with fructose which is a fruit sugar and affects insulin response much like regular sugar. Check out the jam section where they have very good jams made with Splenda. Used sparingly in a cup of full fat unsweetened yogurt they are quite good.