Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 21:56

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Unhappy Fell off the wagon...desperately trying to get back on!

DH and I started Atkins the beginning of Nov. The first 6 weeks we did great. Lost some steam over Christmas (gained 5 lbs back), did great again Jan & Feb, lost 17 lbs total.....then we went on holidays for 2 weeks, gained 6 lbs back...and I am struggling to get back in to it.

It should be easy...I feel soooo much better....no more PMS, no post nasal drip, no IBS.....and eating carbs makes me feel so rotten...but I can't say no to the chips, coke, cookies right now.

I am desperate to lose the weight, as I have back pain since gaining so much, and am tired and depressed from being in pain everyday. I want to have another baby, but cannot face pregnancy if I can't get rid of this back pain.

HELP! I need motivation....anyone have any tips or tricks to get into the right mind set again??

Thanks!
Natascha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 22:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287/256/170
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi,

I understand what you mean. Your story is very close to mine. I started last November. Came back from Christmas vacation with 7 more pounds It went very well in January. I had no problem getting back on track after the holidays. We went to Cancun, MX in February and I came back home with 7 - 8 more pounds again This time, it was a little harder to get back and after loosing what I took back, I hit a stall.

Since then, I'm a very slow looser. Don't know if it's related to this trip or if it was just meant to happen...

Anyway, I cheated last week and I was sure I was strong enough to continue low carbing again with no effort. No, It was hard again... But, it's behind me now

I think, in the futur, I'll try very hard not to cheat again. Since it's getting harder and harder to get back on track...

What helped me a lot also was going to the doctor and having my blood test done. I got the results back today and my cholesterol improved a lot. That helps to keep motivated!!

Well, just wanted to tell you, you're not alone... And good luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 04:53
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Maybe if you took it one day at a time, like AA. Don't look at the whole week of induction ahead, but just today. Plan out your meals and stick to them. And when you finished that day, give you self a on the calander! Then tomorrow do the same thing again, till it gets easier!

Soon you will start feeling better, and you will be back on track!

Just a thought, Good Luck
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:24

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I'm with MaryToU. Just start by cooking a proper dinner tonight. Then have a proper breakfast the next morning, and so on.

Throw away all the junk in your house. Have PLENTY of low carb snacks and aspirin around until you can get through withdrawals. And don't worry about eating too much during Induction (unless it's over your 20g carb count). I have read in several books that lots of protein is important for people going through sugar withdrawals.

I try to have at least 5 different veggies to choose from in my frig at all times. This helps to keep me from raiding the cookie jar. (I have 3 kids & a hubby who DO NOT do Atkins with me). Quick cooking veggies are always a good bet: asparagus, broccoli, squash, zucchini.

Beyond that, you just have to make the decision. It's hard when you are addicted to food. I've been there myself. You literally get sick when you give up the foods you crave. I remember reading that Dr. Atkins recommended weaning yourself off sugar & carbs if your addiction is too great. But at some point, you have to go cold turkey.

Best of luck to ya!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 19:50

Stats: 210/180/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default To ndelacourt

Dear ndelacourt:

Cravings are the hardest to overcome and I understand what you are going through. I myself love chips and hoagies and tacos and hamburgers and french fries if it has carbs it is on my favorite list. That was until I stepped on the scale one morning and saw that I weighed 210 pounds. That was it, I told my sister that we were going on a Low Carb diet and she had a choice Atkins or Suzanne Somers. She said Atkins. We started in February and to date I have lost 22 pounds. It has been the hardest thing for me to do but I am very proud of myself and I have not cheated once.

The secret to not cheating, keep snacks around for the munchies. I like eating chips so now I eat pork rinds. I found this company that I order from them they have a chili lime that is to die for, I love chocolate so I found at Wal-Mart for 96 cents a low carb candy bar called Pur delite. For soft drinks I drink Diet Rite since it is made with Splenda.

There are solutions to your cravings you just have to want to change your eating habits. Maybe one good way to get back on track is to stand in front of a full length mirror without your cloths on, if you don't like what you see do something about it.

Don't worry about what you did, what matters is what you are doing now.

Good Luck and hope I have been so help for you.

Trish